• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Johnnie Walker Blue Label

Considering a "good" price for the Blue is about $175 nowadays and you can't find the Mac 25 for under $400 in the states this really isn't a fair price comparison. As I said in my review I think it does compare favorably with the Ballantines 30 (Which I also reviewed here) although, again, the Ballantines is about twice the price. I have a completely different take on the JW Gold but that's why they make all these different products....people have different tastes and opinions. It's all good :)

I feel JWB doesnt hold a candle to the Mac 25 with price being equal, obviously price is not equal so we have to weigh that in.
JWB is a nice pour, but I feel very overrated as far as price goes ($175). I greatly prefer other blends such as Kings Crest 25 and feel even JW Blueis only slightly better than JW Gold. One of the best blends I had to date was the Ballantines 30, but that one is in Mac 25's price range. Just my 2 cents, but I am a bit bias, I am more of a Speyside/Highlands SMSW and bourbon guy.

AVB, I got my last Mac 25 for $275, it will not be fun replacing it for $400ish. I guess Ill drink slow....
I feel all the JW products have too much smokiness, again thats just me, I am more of a smsw guy anyway. Id take HP 18 over JW Blue any day of the week. I wont bash JW Blue though, I own 2 bottles (as well as the red, black, green, and gold), I do like it and its a GREAT conversation piece when talking about the JW range of products.

I also tried the King George V for a blended scotch whisky article I did below.

http://www.app.com/4074/sept2008/topshelf/topshelf.html

I've had all those in your article except for the new Chivas 25. Can't say I agree totally with your ratings but our tastes are most likely different.

AVB, I got my last Mac 25 for $275, it will not be fun replacing it for $400ish. I guess Ill drink slow....
I feel all the JW products have too much smokiness, again thats just me, I am more of a smsw guy anyway. Id take HP 18 over JW Blue any day of the week. I wont bash JW Blue though, I own 2 bottles (as well as the red, black, green, and gold), I do like it and its a GREAT conversation piece when talking about the JW range of products.

I also tried the King George V for a blended scotch whisky article I did below.

http://www.app.com/4074/sept2008/topshelf/topshelf.html

I actually tried to get rid of the ratings as I feel they are too subjective, but the editors love the ratings and I guess the general public/readers do as well. I always rate sweeter whiskies higher than smokier ones which again is what I like. All the whiskies in this article were top notch.

Im just happy and feel very lucky that I get to do articles like this and get the opportunity to taste such great whisky.

I had seen a 4 bottle kit (250 ml each I'm guessing) of red, black, gold, blue for about $70 in the airport a few years back. This seemed an inexpensive way to get a taste of the blue. Has anyone seen these lately? John

The bottle of Blue Label I own is actually 4 200ml bottles that I got for $40 each. You have to do things on a weird budget when your in college.

I think blue label is pretty overrated. There are much better scotchs out there for a fraction of the cost. Lagavulin 16, aberlour abunahd, talisker 18 to name a few. About the only thing it has going for it is the smoothness and mouthfeel. The flavor is too subdued.

Taste, like your fingerprint is different for us all. Henry Ford thought black, today we think rainbows and prismatic. Everyone is correct, everyone has their opinion. You asked, someone answered. Take it or leave it. I would enjoy the opportunity to try some elusive stuff and naturally money comes into play. If I could make a simple wish, I would like to find a bar where I could buy a "shot" of forty year old scotch just for the experience. I don't want to sell the house for a bottle of something I have no idea about. Thankfully we have AVB who is both knowledgeable and honest. That's as good as it gets for this old geezer.