• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Johnnie Walker Gold Blended Scotch

JW Gold has been a staple of my scotch offerings for a few years. What I find interesting is how AVB mentions Cardhu as the base of this whiskey. I stumbled across Cardhu about ten years ago, and it quickly became a favorite of mine. Unfortunately I have not been able to find this scotch in about 3 years. Does anyone know if it is available in the US? If not, is there something similar I can try?

Thanks

Cardhu was supposed to be re-released in the US about 3 years ago but they didn't have enough stock to do so. Except for Spain and Greece (where it is the #1 brand) it is even difficult to find in the EU.

Got a nice little promotion at work yesteday and this is the bottle I chose to celebrate with. a very good bottle for the money, IMO :thumbs:

What happened to the restaurant idea? You still doing the BBQ thang?

Great review. I think all JW are smooth and have a great overall flavor.

I prefer Blue but for the bottle cost you can't go wrong with Gold. Black is good too.

I don't and have not ever enjoyed any Chivas.

Got to try Cardhu sometime.

Interestingly enough, I picked up a bottle of JWG last night without seeing this updated thread. It was $20 off at the NHSLS and an impulse buy. I ended up paying $59.99 for the bottle cracked it open last night and had 2 drams.

My thoughts, it was good but reminded my why I stay with SM offerings. The flavor was very smooth, IMHO a little too smooth. It was slightly peaty with a vanilla / almond finish that was very good but too thin for my liking. Even at the $59 I price I will stick with The Balvenie 15 and my favorites from Laphroaig (QC and CS), Lagavulin 16 et all. And at the standard $79.99 price I will gladly pay the extra 10 bones to get my self some Highland Park 18.

Definitely glad I got to try it but, did not wow me in any way like the above referenced drams consistantly do.

Overall good but not great.

My 2cents... Youre results may vary. ;)

JW Gold has been a staple of my scotch offerings for a few years. What I find interesting is how AVB mentions Cardhu as the base of this whiskey. I stumbled across Cardhu about ten years ago, and it quickly became a favorite of mine. Unfortunately I have not been able to find this scotch in about 3 years. Does anyone know if it is available in the US? If not, is there something similar I can try?

Thanks

Found Cardhu and picked up a bottle at a local L.A. liquor store. Good stuff.
cardhu-12yearold-malt-whisky1.jpg

Not sure where you are but it should be available.

I went into a local store today and there was no more gold on the shelves, replaced by Platinum.  Fans of JWG, grab it up while you can, and fast.  This stuff will have completely gone the way of the dodo bird in a couple months.