• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Johnny-O! Behike Shagfoot

DirtyDave

Newbie Dirtball
It seems like we have a little bit of an Indian summer going on right now, with the thermometer reaching almost 60 degrees! So, I decided that since I got to leave work early today, I would take advantage of the nice weather and try something that's been taunting me from my humidor for the last few months. That would be the Johnny-O! Behike Shagfoot. Mostly I've been intimidated by this giant smoke, but I figured that there was no time like the present to give it a try.

The initial inspection reveals a very well constructed cigar. The wrapper has a few small veins. It has quite a weight to it, and is firm when squeezed. The wrapper has nice oils with a very fine tooth apparent. The shagfoot is actually wider than the wrapped portion of the cigar by about an eighth of an inch. The cap is nicely constructed with a small pigtail. I clipped the cap with my Cuban Crafter's double guillotine revealing a very nicely bunched head. The pre-draw is that of young spicy tobacco with just the right amount of resistance. Time to light this bad boy up!

I use my torch to light up the shagfoot and start to draw seeing if I can get any smoke through the cigar. Sure enough, it's mild, but I'm getting a nice spicy smoke coming from the shagfoot. It burns a little uneven, but that's to be expected.

As the burn reaches the wrapper, it continues to burn a little uneven but eventually straightens out by the end of the first third. The first third was dominated by a pleasant mild to medium tobacco. The spice tamed after the shaggy, but continued through the first third. The cigar was producing tons of smoke. The ash held strong for the first few inches, and then started falling on its own every inch to inch and a half.

In the second third I started detecting a sweetness in the aftertaste. Nothing I could place, but I found it quite enjoyable. The spice has faded and has been replaced by a sweet tobacco. The strength also builds to a medium. By the end of this third my head also started to swim a little. I noticed a fine tooth in the ash, which was lighter than most of John's cigars that I've had in the past. Toward the end of the second third some mild earthy flavors become present in the aftertaste.

In the final third the spice came back. The tobacco was taking on a more "rich" flavor. The smoke was almost creamy. The earthy/grassy undertones remained for the rest of the smoke. I had to put this out a little before the nub, because the sun had set, and the temperature dropped a good 15 degrees. I can definitely tell it's November! Hey, at least there isn't snow on the ground yet. :D The finish on this cigar was light and lasting.

Overall, a very enjoyable smoke. This was definitely something bigger than what I would normally grab for a daily smoke, but definitely great for the golf course or some other leisurely activity. This took about an hour and a half to smoke. Thanks again John for the opportunity to try so many different vitolas!

Johnny-OBehikeShagfoot.jpg

The last one I had was a near 2 hr smoke...but soooooooo good. You just cant go wrong with a J-O.

Art

Now that's what I'm talkin' about Dave! Tackle them big boys! :laugh: I've got one of these left and am letting it sit for as long as I can, year or two possibly. Excellent review!

I've got one of these left and am letting it sit for as long as I can, year or two possibly.

//Note to self - Double lock Behikes stash. Greg is down to one left.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Art

Nice review, but tell me. What the hell is a shagfoot for? Fashion statement? I find them very annoying.

I'm not sure what it's for, but I like it. Maybe it's the novelty, but I like the way the flavor shifts when the wrapper gets involved. It really helps you understand what is coming from the filler and what is coming from the wrapper. The Closed Poker Run had a drastic difference for me when I got to the wrapped portion after the shagfoot, this one not as much.

I'm definitely looking forward to revisiting these after a year or more. I think they will age very well given their RG and overall size. I've got a couple more big boys I'll have to try... The Diademas are giants too. It is another nice day today. ;) :D

Good review Dave. The shag does look like a pain in the ars but you bring up a good point regarding the change of flavors at the wrapper. I picked up my first J-0 sampler back in September and they looked, felt and smelled sooooo green I planned on waiting until next September but after reading your review I'm not sure all 25 will last that long.
Thanks
Tom