• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Johnny-O Corona Gorda Pigtail Shagfoot

dulaney22

Banned
Many thanks to Charley for sending this cigar as a tag-along in a recent trade. I've seen references to these mystical Johnny-O cigars, but I have not had the pleasure to enjoy one . . . until this afternoon. Boy, I've been missing out.

This stick is from the '07 batch and sports a chocolate wrapper, which is slightly veiny and very oily. The scent coming off is rich tobacco . . . very nice. Appearance wise, this cigar was on par with any higher-end smoke.

Slide1.jpg

After a snip of the lovely pigtail, I was pleased to find a perfect draw. Seconds later, I lit the loose tobacco foot and was instantly greeted by salt and a slight cream. I haven't noticed much of a salt taste in any of my previous smokes, so I was quite surprised. About the time the shagfoot burned off, the salt subsided and the cream intensified to compliment flavors of parched/roasted nuts. Towards the end of the first third, a peppery spice appeared, along with hints of citrus.

DSC03370.jpg

The second third began with a subdued saltiness and woody profile. This quickly gave way to a taste of fruit that I had a hard time identifying. A little further into the smoke, I began to notice that it was a dark berry, like blackberry, taste. It was hard to distinguish because there was a certain "twang" to the smoke . . . but the "twang" was this dark berry taste, if that makes sense.

DSC03385.jpg

The final third was simply fantastic. I noted creamy cocoa tastes that went nicely with the return of roasted nuts. The creamy tastes became fuller towards the end, almost to a buttery state. All of this was complimented by undertones of dark berries.

DSC03395.jpg

I was thoroughly satisfied with this cigar and will definitely be picking up many more in the future. Thank you again Charley!

Very nice review and pictures as well! :thumbs: Sounds like a real nice smoke.

Man that cigar looks delicious!! Think I might try to get my hands on one or two.

I love how the flavor changes in these smokes as the wrapper starts burning. Are you sure this is the Corona Extra vitola, by the way? Mine are shorter, I hope I didn't get fakes :0

I love how the flavor changes in these smokes as the wrapper starts burning. Are you sure this is the Corona Extra vitola, by the way? Mine are shorter, I hope I didn't get fakes :0

It's what Charley said when he sent it. It's bigger than a corona though. Ring gauge closer to 46 or so and it was probably close to 6" long.

John's smokes aren't your typical coronas extra size as his are 4 3/4 x 47 as opposed to the 5 5/8 x 44 (or so) sizes out there.

Lee, I'm thinking yours may have been more of a Corona Gorda Shagfoot? That may have been what Charley meant...

Glad you enjoyed it brother!

And yes, I do believe it is a Corona Gorda.

:cool:

For those of you that haven't tried the Corona Gorda Shagfoot or any other Johnny-O for that matter, you're doing a great disservice to your palate by not picking some up. They're excellent smokes :thumbs: