• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Johnny-O! P-109 OCT08

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
It was more cool today than it has been the past few days, a good time to get out and get a few things done in the yard, like changing the blades on the riding mower. Really wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be, but still a good bit of work. The wife brought the baby girl out to play on the swing under the walnut tree up front, was good to hear them up there laughing and having a good time. Before long though, they came back around to go inside, Jess wasn’t feeling all too well, and was telling mommy she was sleepy.

I finished up in the yard and went in to check on the girls. Jess was sound asleep and the wife was on her computer doing her Café Mom thing. It was still early, had a good couple of hours to kill, so went to the wineador to find something good to go smoke. Digging around I spied a Johnny-O! P-109, huge stick and just the right size for a couple of hours relaxation.

What an absolutely beautiful day sitting in the cool shade of the walnut tree with baby blue sky and white cotton clouds drifting lazily by. A brisk wind is blowing, not only feeling really good but keeping the bugs away as well. To my left are two huge cypress trees, the wind blowing the sweet smell of cedar to my nose.

I pick up the P-109 and hold it in the sunlight, oils glistening with tiny sparkles throughout the medium brown wrapper. Construction is impeccable with tiny veins running the length and a perfect triple cap on top that I punch using the largest ring on my knife. The draw is perfect.

In no time I have the foot engulfed in orange embers and smoke billowing from the fire. With a couple of quick draws, I ensure smoke is flowing well and am given a glimpse of the delicious smoke I’m about to partake, a sweet saltiness is on the lips. Spice, perfect on the back of the tongue and throat. Smooth and creamy, the medium-bodied smoke flows effortlessly from the perfect draw. The first thing that comes to mind is a fresh baked bread, sweet and soft on the palate. Dark cocoa mixed with light vanilla are there, joining in with toasted almonds. Hints of cinnamon sticks freshly shaven.

The wind is blowing the limbs above me, making them sway back and forth. Shadows from the limbs move slowly all around. I find it relaxing, the wind blowing through the leaves. I can hear Mandy coming up behind me, “Mandy, that you?” Her tail wags and she literally falls down on the ground beside me. Such a good girl she is. I’m a third into the Johnny-O! and the burn has been spot on perfect. A dark gray ash has formed in multiple layers, firm with noticeable tooth throughout. Flavors continue to be rich and complex to my palate, continue to be smooth and creamy. Once the smoke is exhaled slowly through the mouth, the taste left on the tongue, the finish, is very rich and lasting.

My better half comes out to tell me Jess is awake, but still not feeling well, asks me how I’m enjoying my cigar. I tell her it’s absolutely delicious and ask if she’d like some. “Funny.” She says and sits with me under the tree for a moment. She tells me of how good the pictures she took earlier turned out. Shortly after she heads back in, I like watching her walk away. ;) I already knew when she first came out it was a queue that she wanted me back in, probably to make slaw as we are having homemade pulled pork BBQ for dinner, been in the crock pot since 7 this morning. We both prefer her not to make slaw as neither of us like fingernails or knuckles mixed in (we use a handheld shredder for the cabbage). Just as well, I’m nearing the end of my smoke anyway.

The only difference to note at the end of the cigar is the finish, which actually increased in unbelievable richness. I couldn’t imagine a better smoke to spend a couple of hours on a beautiful, lazy afternoon. Absolutely one of the best Johnny-O! cigars I’ve smoked!

DSC07293.jpg

DSC07337.jpg

DSC07300.jpg

06-22-09JOP-109001.jpg

06-22-09JOP-109002.jpg

06-22-09JOP-109003.jpg

06-22-09JOP-109004.jpg

Sorry Greg, I could not help myself in fixing your review a bit...........Cliff Note version! :thumbs:

Went to the wineador to find something good to go smoke. Digging around I spied a Johnny-O! P-109, huge stick and just the right size for a couple of hours relaxation.

The P-109 in the sunlight, oils glistening with tiny sparkles throughout the medium brown wrapper. Construction is impeccable with tiny veins running the length and a perfect triple cap on top that I punch using the largest ring on my knife. The draw is perfect.

In no time I have the foot engulfed in orange embers and smoke billowing from the fire. With a couple of quick draws, I ensure smoke is flowing well, a sweet saltiness is on the lips. Spice, perfect on the back of the tongue and throat. Smooth and creamy, the medium-bodied smoke flows from the draw. The first thing that comes to mind is a fresh baked bread, sweet and soft on the palate. Dark cocoa mixed with light vanilla are there, joining in with toasted almonds. Hints of cinnamon sticks freshly shaven.

I’m a third into the Johnny-O! and the burn has been spot on perfect. A dark gray ash has formed in multiple layers, firm with noticeable tooth throughout. Flavors continue to be rich and complex to my palate, continue to be smooth and creamy. Once the smoke is exhaled slowly through the mouth, the taste is very rich and lasting.

The only difference to note at the end of the cigar is the finish, which actually increased in richness. I couldn’t imagine a better smoke to spend a couple of hours on a beautiful, lazy afternoon. Absolutely one of the best Johnny-O! cigars I’ve smoked!

DSC07300.jpg

06-22-09JOP-109004.jpg

Edited to add that it seemed like you enjoyed this cigar!

Sorry Greg, I could not help myself in fixing your review a bit...........Cliff Note version! :thumbs:

Went to the wineador to find something good to go smoke. Digging around I spied a Johnny-O! P-109, huge stick and just the right size for a couple of hours relaxation.

The P-109 in the sunlight, oils glistening with tiny sparkles throughout the medium brown wrapper. Construction is impeccable with tiny veins running the length and a perfect triple cap on top that I punch using the largest ring on my knife. The draw is perfect.

In no time I have the foot engulfed in orange embers and smoke billowing from the fire. With a couple of quick draws, I ensure smoke is flowing well, a sweet saltiness is on the lips. Spice, perfect on the back of the tongue and throat. Smooth and creamy, the medium-bodied smoke flows from the draw. The first thing that comes to mind is a fresh baked bread, sweet and soft on the palate. Dark cocoa mixed with light vanilla are there, joining in with toasted almonds. Hints of cinnamon sticks freshly shaven.

I’m a third into the Johnny-O! and the burn has been spot on perfect. A dark gray ash has formed in multiple layers, firm with noticeable tooth throughout. Flavors continue to be rich and complex to my palate, continue to be smooth and creamy. Once the smoke is exhaled slowly through the mouth, the taste is very rich and lasting.

The only difference to note at the end of the cigar is the finish, which actually increased in richness. I couldn’t imagine a better smoke to spend a couple of hours on a beautiful, lazy afternoon. Absolutely one of the best Johnny-O! cigars I’ve smoked!

DSC07300.jpg

06-22-09JOP-109004.jpg

Edited to add that it seemed like you enjoyed this cigar!

Thanks Charlie, didn't realize it needed fixing. I actually enjoy sharing more than just smoking a cigar, but what's going on with my day. I admit, I get long winded in my reviews. I can definitely start keeping it strictly about the cigar.

FWIW Greg.....I like the little extra's you add to your reviews. Doesn't have to be all business as far as I'm concerned. Keep up the good work bro.

Frank

Hey, Greg Hemingway, I loved the review....and it was dead on with that stick. I had one gifted to me by DeVonn (amateuraficionado) that was a mirror image of your experience. My only difference was a hint of a metallic taste in the beginning that I attributed to it still being a bit young. I have also found that a day or two in the dry box helps smooth John's cigars out because I'm aging them at 68-70%.

Now, in the true Hemingway style, I want one of these 'perfect day' reviews done on the water...sailing! :thumbs:....and you're just the man for the job my friend.

Greg - Great review as always. I, personally speaking, enjoy the added commentary you add to your review and the pictures as well.

Cheers!

Great review as always Greg! I have a couple of these in my humi that I keep wanting to smoke but really need to find a block of time for. It's good to know that when that time arrives I'm in for a treat.

Just pulling your leg Greg. It's your review, you do with it as you see fit and remember, everyone's a critic!

Thanks for another great review! I just ordered a sampler of Johnny-O! cigars that I can't wait to try. Any hints on aging time you might recommend? I'm sure a few will fall early, but I would like to age some properly as well. ;)