• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Jose Cuervo Black

Charley

The Coolest Guy You Know
Has anybody tried this yet. Saw a bottle at a local store the other day and it was $28.00 (750 ml). Just wondering if it is worth the price. I've never really liked JC very much but they seem to be marketing this as a top shelf line.

It's still a mixto, just like Cuervo Gold, except it's an aged mixto (1 year old), like Sauza's Conmemorativo.

Cuervo is just trying to cash in on the fact that anejo (aged) tequila is catching on, and that many often associate older with better. However, Cuervo Black can't be compared to the 100% de agave anejos out there. The sad thing is that slick marketing is all it will take for people to believe that this is actually a premium product. Marketing is what got Cuervo Gold to its status, although more and more people are taking notice to 100% agave tequila, whether it be blanco, reposado, or anejo, and realizing that Cuervo Gold really is bottom shelf crap. I suspect that many people like me who realize the vast difference between mixto and 100% agave tequila will not even bother trying Black.

My advice would be don't even bother. I'll admitt I haven't tried it, but from past experiences with mixtos of any kind, they simply cannot come close to 100% agave tequila, which is the only real kind of tequila if you ask me.

On a side no, Cuervo does make a 100% agave reposado called Tradicional. It's not great, but it's drinkable. I would definitely consider it a mixing tequila though. The funny thing is most people who drink Cuervo Gold don't know Tradicional exists. Why? Because if Cuervo were to market Tradicional as a better tequila because it's 100% agave, wouldn't that imply that the Gold is inferior? And lord knows Cuervo spent too much on billboards, commercials, and magazine ads trying to build the image of Cuervo Gold to let people begin to question it now. That's my guess anyway.

It's still a mixto, just like Cuervo Gold, except it's an aged mixto (1 year old), like Sauza's Conmemorativo.

Cuervo is just trying to cash in on the fact that anejo (aged) tequila is catching on, and that many often associate older with better. However, Cuervo Black can't be compared to the 100% de agave anejos out there. The sad thing is that slick marketing is all it will take for people to believe that this is actually a premium product. Marketing is what got Cuervo Gold to its status, although more and more people are taking notice to 100% agave tequila, whether it be blanco, reposado, or anejo, and realizing that Cuervo Gold really is bottom shelf crap. I suspect that many people like me who realize the vast difference between mixto and 100% agave tequila will not even bother trying Black.

My advice would be don't even bother. I'll admitt I haven't tried it, but from past experiences with mixtos of any kind, they simply cannot come close to 100% agave tequila, which is the only real kind of tequila if you ask me.

On a side no, Cuervo does make a 100% agave reposado called Tradicional. It's not great, but it's drinkable. I would definitely consider it a mixing tequila though. The funny thing is most people who drink Cuervo Gold don't know Tradicional exists. Why? Because if Cuervo were to market Tradicional as a better tequila because it's 100% agave, wouldn't that imply that the Gold is inferior? And lord knows Cuervo spent too much on billboards, commercials, and magazine ads trying to build the image of Cuervo Gold to let people begin to question it now. That's my guess anyway.
Isn't there even a song out there that claims "Jose Cuervo, You're a good friend of mine. I like you with a little salt and lime." Talk about brainwashed. ICK!!!

Thanks for the insight Alphaiii. I've never really been a big fan of J Cuervo myself but while we are on the subject, have you tried the Reserva de Familia? I have been wanting to try it for some time now but at $70.00 a bottle it's a little pricey (especially when you can get a bottle of Corazon Anejo for about $50.00).

I've never had Reserva de Familia. I can't say I've ever heard anything bad about it though.

I myself am not a anejo drinker, and I've never only see it in 2 Mexican restaurants that I've been to and didn't want to to shell out the extra money to try it.

BTW, $70 a bottle is a really good price on that. The best price I've ever seen on that is online at $80. It's been in the $90-100 range in any stores I've seen it in.

Would I buy it at $70...no. But then again I wouldn't buy an anejo at $40-50 either, but my preferences are for blancos and reposados.

my favorite tequliia is currently CORRALEJO reposado, for about $50 a bottle, tough to beat. very smooth, has a sharp nose to it, especially when served cold.

I've been eyeing up Corralejo Reposado lately. I found it for $35 a bottle, and it's the 100% agave version. During the agave shortage, Corralejo wasn't making a 100% blue agave product, although they claimed that the portion that was not blue agave was agave from other regions of Mexico. So technically it wasn't a mixto either.

I've heard mixed reviews on this though - most likely due to the changes in production from the original 100%, to the "mixto", back to the new 100%. Sometimes which version people are or are not liking.

Is the bottle you have the tall blue bottle with the 100% de agave designation on it?

Thanks for the insight Alphaiii. I've never really been a big fan of J Cuervo myself but while we are on the subject, have you tried the Reserva de Familia? I have been wanting to try it for some time now but at $70.00 a bottle it's a little pricey (especially when you can get a bottle of Corazon Anejo for about $50.00).

Corazon at 50 bucks cannot be beat. Also, i had a chance to try Paradiso a top shelf tequila by El Tesoro and it was wonderful stuff.

Nic

I've been eyeing up Corralejo Reposado lately. I found it for $35 a bottle, and it's the 100% agave version. During the agave shortage, Corralejo wasn't making a 100% blue agave product, although they claimed that the portion that was not blue agave was agave from other regions of Mexico. So technically it wasn't a mixto either.

I've heard mixed reviews on this though - most likely due to the changes in production from the original 100%, to the "mixto", back to the new 100%. Sometimes which version people are or are not liking.

Is the bottle you have the tall blue bottle with the 100% de agave designation on it?
that's the one

The Mexican government just passed legislation permitting flavored Tequilas. Keep an eye open.