• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Joya de Nicaragua Antaño 1970

CigarMan Andy

Traveling Herf Man
I place a call to an associate that works for Joya de Nicaragua Cigars and asked him about the factory. I had mentioned that I recently bought a box of the Belicoso that had several bad sticks. Norman apologized. He said that was unusual and sent me a few cigars for the problem. We spoke a week later and he asked me if I had tried the new Gran Perfecto. I replied that I had smoked the Perfecto. Norman said that he would send me some to review.

Well they arrived and I was surprised by what I saw. When I opened the box, there were these monstrous cigars. About the same size as the LGC Serie R #6, but in a slight perfecto shape. Well constructed with a very oily finish. A very large cigar.

JdNAGP1.jpg

Length/Ring: 6 x 60
Shape: Perfecto
Wrapper: Nicaragua Habano Criollo
Binder: Nicaragua Habano
Filler: Nicaragua Habano
Strength: Full

I clipped off most of the tip and lit it up this monster rocket. I have been smoking JdNA Belicoso for over eight years now, and it is my go to cigar, so I hoped it would be similar. I took my first draw and was greeted with the full flavor I had come to know. It was very peppery and earthy with that JdNA spice on the pallet. The burn was even and stayed even for the most part. Any uneven burning self corrected. Half way through the first third a leather flavor with a hint of cocoa came into play. It never kept a strong ash though.

I got to the second third and and in JdNA style, it added and espresso and leather, still strong in body and flavor as well as very complex. A wonderful cigar that keeps changing in nuances. It is like a virtual flavors ping pong game.

I arrived at the last third and it was getting better. Earthy, leathery, creamy and still very spicy with that pepper still rockin and rollin. The finish was fine. This cigar took me well over an hour thirty to smoke with it's enormous size.

JdNAGP2.jpg

In conclusion: I can say was that this cigar was a winner for me, as I love the JdNA line. Just what I expected. Remember, this is a very strong cigar, with lots power, so eat before smoking. Hard to find, but if you like the other JdNA cigars, you will like these as well.

MSRP: $10.99 but you can find them for as low as $8.99 each.

Thanks for the review. I didn't know that they offered a perfecto in this blend. I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

I do like the lancero in this blend, though. Very tasty IMO.

I have met Senor Alejandro Martinez Cuenca. He is a very interesting fellow with a very interesting story of the rebirth of JdN Cigars. I wish him the best of luck.

Nice job Andy.

I loved that the Dr. made this size. I hope he continues to expand and maybe add an A.

Good review...Thanks. Even though I'm on a spending freeze this made me pick up a box of lanceros. $60 shipped...can't beat that!

I found a few at my local. $9.50 apiece. Great looking cigar. Can't wait to fire it up.

Is there any truth to the rumor that the Lancero is being discontiunued? That would be a shame and a reason for me to stock up.

I found a few at my local. $9.50 apiece. Great looking cigar. Can't wait to fire it up.

Is there any truth to the rumor that the Lancero is being discontiunued? That would be a shame and a reason for me to stock up.

I will call Norman Monday and find out for you.