• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

JR Alt. to Royal Jamaica Robusto

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
Just received my first order of JR Alts - Royal Jamaica Robusto - EMS. This, in my opinion, is an excellent smoke. The cigar had an extremely smooth draw. It burned very evenly, and did not go out once. It lasted for about 20 minutes, just the right amount of time (for me). I really enjoyed this cigar, and for &#3621.95/bundle (20 cigars), I don't think you can go wrong. I give this an 88 on the cigarometer!I will definately be trying more JR Alts.

I know it's hard, but I have found that if you let the Alts. sit for about 6 mos. They mellow out and are that much better.
Just my Opinion.

Rod, I agree with Ed on this. Put some aside for six months and you will see a difference. When I first picked up some Alt to Monty #2 and Alt to St. Luis Rey B they were alright, nothing special. But after six months I tried them again and they were as different as day and night. A smoother smoke/aroma and a much more even burn.The longer you age Alts, the better they get. I just tried an Alt to the Monty #2 that was part of several bundles I had put aside two years ago and it was a great smoke.

I have a bundle of Alts to H. Upmann sitting in the bottom of my coolerdor. I smoked one straight off the truck and enjoyed it. (A great smoke for the dollar.) I've been working very hard to keep my hands off of them so I can see how they age. I'm glad to see that both Ed and Bill advocate aging them. That will help me with my patience. :)

I agree with sitting on these for a while. I had a box that sat in the bottom of my cooler for over a year. After digging them out and giving away almost all of them I decided to try one.It was a very good smooth smoke. Very well constructed and had a nice even burn. I have heard the maduros are a bit tastier than the cam. or nat. ones. I was gifted a alt to a Fuente 858 in mad. and it was a very good cigar. Almost as good as the real thing.

Thanks for the tip. I'll let them sit in the humidor for a while.

I bought a bundle of Alt/H Upman EMS Robusto about a year ago. I agree with previous posts, they got better the longer I waited.Question: I just received a bundle of Alt Toro EMS and the taste seems very similar to the Alt/Upmans. Do you think the blends between all of the Alts are really different or is it just marketing. i.e. were my Upmans the same cigar as Rod’s Royal Jamicas?.

It's pretty much marketing. I read somewhere that the actual blends for the Alts consist of just a handfull.

I have a few that are the same size but were different named. I can't tell a difference. Very, very, very similar.
Not a bad smoke at all.

The first JR Alt I smoked was great. But I have noticed they are not too consistent. I've smoked a few more since, and they do vary in taste. I am going to just let the rest age in the humidor, and try them again once they have aged...

I bought a bundle in January that I’m sitting on until the summer.  This aging thing is very difficult for me.  I guess the trick is to get a big humidor and buy more cigars than you can possibly consume.  Eventually you end-up with some old stogies. :biggrin:

This aging thing is very difficult for me.  I guess the trick is to get a big humidor and buy more cigars than you can possibly consume.  Eventually you end-up with some old stogies. :biggrin:
That's pretty much what I've done. If I stopped buying cigars today I'd be able to continue to smoke for over a year, at least. So those JR Alt to Punch Black Princes can sleep for a few more months while I enjoy other selections from the inventory.

Interesting reading here. I had one JR Alt. it was badly constucted. Wrapping coming off, tunneling, I tossed it. Vowed I wouldn't bother with them. Hmmm...anyone have a similar experience? Debbie

Hey Rod,Are you still aging your alts? It’s been almost five months since your post. I had one of my Toro’s on Saturday – first since my January purchase. I was not disapointed.

Hi CD,Yes, most of them are still aging. I smoked about 10 (I know, I couldn't keep from smoking 'em though!). I haven't had one for a few months, so I'll light one up this weekend and see if they've gotten better. Rod

Okay after reading this post as well as the one I started on the J.R. Cohiba Alts, I am letting them age for sure. I agree with Rod, the Alts right out of the box seem to vary way to much from cigar to cigar, hopefully aging will fix this and make them much better cigars as well. I have no problem waiting now that everyone on the board has pretty much said let them age.

WHO ME ????
I'VE BEEN HOOKED ON THE PUNCH DOUBLE MADURO ROTHCHILDS,,,
EACH ONE IS AS GOOD AS THE FIRST,,