• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

JR Alternatives Edicion Limitada

Thumper9

In JR's last catalogue there was the introduction of new JR Alternatives Edicion Limitada's cigar. I have read the prior posts of Alternatives, but has anyone tried these new ones. They look like they might be tasty smokes. I want to try the HDM Piramides. Up to now I've been smoking Consuegra's for my daily working smokes and love them.

Any feedback?

These are NOT you Daddy's Alts! I've had enough of the regular Alts in my experience to know that in general there not worth having even for the $1/stick price tag.

Re: the EL Alts however:
I've promised to post more in depth reviews of these as I have more. I have at least a 5-pack from 4 of the 7 lines. So far I've had 3 Hoyo Epi and 1 Monte Edmundo and these are fine cigars (even dripping wet from the JR store). These very well could end up holding the title for best value of any cigars I've smoked (too soon so say for sure though).

Cheers

Excellent question I just did a search here and at CW looking for info on these cigars. Please post reviews or impressions if you have any. Also, anyone have any interest in doing a split on these? I don't want to buy 50 of them and turn out I wont smoke em.

Side note, I have smoked the other 2 versions of the Counterfeit Cubans. I have had burn issues with both. The taste was decent nough when it burned right. How is the construction w/ these?

-E

Oh, is this not the same as the Genuine Pre-Embargo Counterfeit Cuban Edicion Limitada? This is the one I had the interest in. If you are talking about a different cigar, I'll start a new thread.

-E

emodx said:
Oh, is this not the same as the Genuine Pre-Embargo Counterfeit Cuban Edicion Limitada? This is the one I had the interest in. If you are talking about a different cigar, I'll start a new thread.

-E
[snapback]266366[/snapback]​

Different cigar Emo. These are JR Alt's to the Cuban EL's.

Thursday at the local shop these were getting passed around. I had the ALT to the Monte C yesterday.

Not a cuban by any means, but a very nice cigar in it's own right. Great mocha/cocoa flavors, hint of sweetness and a touch of pepper. Definitely young and has that sharp bite to it as a result, but I would bet it would age well. Only got 1/2 way through it... and had to go in the store for wifey xmas shopping.

Construction was fine, along the lines of an 858 maduro, that not perfect, rugged kinda look. Burned great, even line, lots of smoke and it just came out of the bundle Thursday night.

This is a great stick for the price, and I'll bet they get better. I don't smoke many bundled cigars, MAYBE one a month, and this was a really good one.

I just ordered the Monte C's, Edumundos, Hoyo Pyramides, and Hermosas. I'll let you guys know how they turn out. Has anyone seen any feedback/reviews on the Cohiba alts?

I've had a bundle of the Alt to Cohiba Robustos for over a year. I smoke them periodically. They're pretty decent for a bundled smoke. They seem to have enough flavor to keep it interesting for me.

I have heard (or read) that many will name these among those of the better JR Alternatives to smoke. I have to agree.

Actually, I was referring to the Cohiba EL alts. I shouldn't have been so vague. They have alts to the Sublimes and DC EL's that I haven't really seen mentioned anywhere yet.

had a couple of these alt el. they run about $25 or so for a bundle of 20 and are a great value. i reserve the right to hold a final opinion til about april when they have had some time to set up. most bundles ive had need 4-6 mos to develop.

Bought a bundle of JR EL Hoyo Piramides about 4 weeks ago. I decided to light one up tonight and was suprized. They're medium bodied, maybe a little on the full side. Nice toasty taste and smell to them and were pretty consistent, but I liked them alot. Cheap and good ($1.50).

I like the Cuban Alt (Bolivar Belicoso) too. Took about a month for them to come around to smokable. They were milder than the 1 EL I have tried so far. I think I like the EL better.

Haven't tried any myself but have read good things. I think a split is the best idea with these. Then again they're Alts for goodness sake! ;) :p

Wildcard said:
I just ordered the Monte C's, Edumundos, Hoyo Pyramides, and Hermosas. I'll let you guys know how they turn out. Has anyone seen any feedback/reviews on the Cohiba alts?
[snapback]266451[/snapback]​
Any word yet? I have a Bundle of the Edmudos drying out right now.

Has anyone had any other experiences with the normal JR Cuban Alternatives? Those Bolivar Belicoso knockoffs look like fun!

edited for redundancy

The Boli Belis are nice. Had one last night and really enjoyed it. They are pretty straight forward until the last 1.5" or so, where they have a nice toasty, kinda "cocoa-y" finish. Went well with Taco Bell. :laugh:

As for the ELs, I also have some Cohiba Double Coronas. I didn't notice a difference between them and the Hoyo Piramides (except that they're 7.5" long). Nice consistent smoke.

Edit: I am only about 6 months into my cigar addiction, so don't take my word as gospel. However, I do have a nice collection that grows weekly as my bank account plumits.

CheapSkate said:
The Boli Belis are nice. Had one last night and really enjoyed it. They are pretty straight forward until the last 1.5" or so, where they have a nice toasty, kinda "cocoa-y" finish. Went well with Taco Bell. :laugh:

As for the ELs, I also have some Cohiba Double Coronas. I didn't notice a difference between them and the Hoyo Piramides (except that they're 7.5" long). Nice consistent smoke.

Edit: I am only about 6 months into my cigar addiction, so don't take my word as gospel. However, I do have a nice collection that grows weekly as my bank account plumits.
[snapback]281943[/snapback]​

Hmmm this makes me want to pick up a bundle of these even more...

Oh, and welcome to Cigar Pass. :laugh:

I'm smoked about half a bundle of the pyramides. These are great smokes for a buck. Plenty of smoke, fairly full bodied, and predictably lacking complexity. They do however, have a good flavor and are very consistent. Every alt EL I got in was well rolled and without flaw. One thing that struck me odd is how heavy they are. These cigars feel like they are just jam packed with tobacco.

Unfortunately, the Hoyo Pyramides have gone out of stock around New Year’s (and were as of yesterday) so they are likely on the third production. Who know if the quality will be similar to the first production run.

The Monte C's are also really good, though a smidge fresher than the Hoyos. They are a bit small for my tastes so I have only smoked a handful. The Edmundos and the Hermosas were a little bitter (two weeks off the truck) and I haven't lit another one since. They had very similar flavor profiles though, burned well and have plenty of potential.

Frankly, they all taste about the same, and it wouldn't surprise me if they were the same filler/wrapper. Naturally coming from JR, they are too wet to smoke, but after a couple of weeks in the cooler at 65% they burned great. Each vitola has plenty of smoke, burns well, and tastes better than most any cigar up to four fold its price (save maybe the RP line). I'm going to smoke another five or six of these this weekend to help me decide what to re-order. I think another four bundles will do it.

I highly recommend these, if the quality between productions is going to stay consistent, I feel like I’ve found the ultimate bargain cigar.

EDIT- I'll try and post a follow up Monday on the C's, Edmundos and Hermosas. If I forget (which is likely) feel free to PM me a little reminder.

emodx said:
Wildcard said:
[snapback]266451[/snapback]​
Any word yet? I have a Bundle of the Edmudos drying out right now.
[snapback]281912[/snapback]​

The JR Alt EL Cohiba Sublime is a very nice smoke.
My bundle has had around a month in the coolerdor, and I think with more time they will be without a doubt the best bundle cigar I've had.

Wildcard said:
I highly recommend these, if the quality between productions is going to stay consistent, I feel like I’ve found the ultimate bargain cigar.
Hmmmmm.....

I have a 10 off a box coupon from JR's if anyone wants, just send PM.