• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Juan Lopez Seleccion No. 1 (MAY03)

cigardawg

Well, last night at our regular Thursday night herf, I decided to break out a Juan Lopez Seleccion No. 1 from a box split that I did months ago. Here are my thoughts.

Juan Lopez Seleccion No. 1

This was a good looking cigar with a medium-brown wrapper and wonderful feel, almost like suade. The was a bit of damage at the foot, but nothing that was going to detract much. There was a single vein visible in the wrapper, but it did not seem significant. The cigar was well-rolled, with almost invisible seams and a well-applied triple-flag cap. The pre-light nose was of grassy fields, leather, and earth. The pre-light draw was, in a word, perfect. :thumbs:

I lit this cigar with almost no effort...in fact, it seemed to WANT to be smoked. The draw stayed absolutely perfect and the volume of smoke was out of this world. Honestly, I think this corona gorda produced more smoke than any other cigar of this vitola that I have experienced. Fantastic. The burn was even throughout, with a laser-sharp burn line all the way down. The ash was light gray and medium-firm. The cigar burned cool all the way to a very short nub. Even with the minor damage,the construction on this cigar was out of this world.

Finally, the taste...ah, the taste. The thick smoke produced by this cigar was loaded with flavor. It started off with flavors similar to the nose, grassy fields, leather, and wood, with just a hint of sweet earth. The earthiness disappeared quickly and the grassy/woody flavors moved into prominence. At about the 1/3 mark, some spice and coffee could be noted along with the earlier flavors to create a balanced blend of tongue-tingling treats. Finally, after the midpoint, some toasty tobacco flavors showed up and brought it all home in fine fashion.

This cigar was an experience, an absolute delight. It has firmly established itself as my second favorite corona gorda and is pushing hard on No. 1. :p I rate this cigar an A , with half-a-plus behind it. Outstanding.

Great review Scot.
These are on my list to try. I love the Juan Lopez PC's!

As always, a great review Scot. I agree that these are wonderful smokes.

Patrick

Sounds great.

And what a review. I could learn a thing or two! ;)

n

what a fantastic review :D thanks a lot for increasing my list of 'cigars I gotta try.' :whistling: