• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Jumping off the Pepin Bandwagon

There are quite a few Pepin blends now that i think of it... ones that come to mind are the RCs, Miami 8/11, Habana Leon, Tatuaje (brown, red, white), DPG blue , white , Vegas Cubana, Cuban Diplomat, Cabiaguana, Sancti Spiritus, and Hirsh y Garcia. Oh and of course, all of the BTTB blends for the outlaw. My main staple is the blue label and the Tat Havana IV, but I can't wait to fire up the RCs when I get enough sitdown time.
No? Where did you get your info from? We have a few Pepins but not all the Outlaw BTTBs are Pepin. 7 of the 9 in the collection are not made by Pepin.

My bad, I was thinkin of the ones in my humidor as I only have the pepin blends from you guys.

His blends are priced across the board and you can get good value from him (like Padron), but you can also drop some serious money on them too. The cigars he makes under his name and also under Tatuaje & Cigarking are all superior to a lot of products currently on the shelves.

Smoking cigars is about trying different brands and varying up what you smoke - so thusly, I appreciate Don Pepin putting out a number of different cigars because it keeps me interested in this hobby.

I don't think that Don Pepin is anything other than a regular guy with a remarkable talent to get 95%-100% out of the tobacco that he has at his disposal.

If he's blending for someone else, like in a contracted situation, I'm sure he's using tobacco that someone else has bought and wants to throw in "Pepin" into his/her sales pitch hoping that it will help move the cigars. Just because it has the name Pepin doesn't mean that it will be exactly what you are going to expect. A good example would be if you're a huge fan of Tatuaje I don't think that you would care for the 601's that much. One is Pete Johnson's brand and the other is EO cigars. Two totally different entities, both with thier own tobacco, thier own signature, thier own profile.

I take the name Don Pepin with a grain of salt and try to smoke a cigar with a open mind.

I'm have to agree with Moki. Some I like and others I don't like. I think he has some of the best NC cigars for their price and never bland. But I've had a lot of the actual Pepin line wrappers split on me. Especially the Serie JJ. Its not from improper storage on my part as this is straight out of the B&M shop.
Yes, they are kumquats and kiwi fruit. But, due to Pepin, the construction is always top notch.

BTW, I rarely smoke cigars from my B&M. They keep it at 70 - 72% in there to protect their stock like most retailers. Also, it may be a new shipment that was just received a few days ago. Usually, a week in my 65% humi is the min.time prior to sampling.

I have never experienced any problems whatsoever with any of Pepin's creations. There are certainly lines I favor over others, but all have been impeccable and I too have multitudes of Pepin boxes, both full, partially full and empty. Pay attention to your own tastes, and not so much to whatever "mixed reviews" seem to be occupying your time.

Gee, if I may say so, this seems just a bit harsh. I think we each recognize that it is our own tastes that matter in the end above any reviews. But, in my humble opinion, if reviews, which include "mixed reviews", were not worthy of occupying our time, then there wouldn't be such universal mention of them in nearly all internet cigar boards I peruse.

I think you missed the point. Reviews are subjective. MC wasn't taking any personal shots. I read the reviews, but trusts my OWN tastes. There are several individuals here whose tastes seem to paralell my own, so I can relate to their reviews. Most, however, are naught but limited information for me. The reviewers aren't lying. We (all) just have different frames of reference.

OH TEH NOES!!!!!!111!!!!!

Not everyone loves Pepins? They aren't "the coolest" any more? Well, I hardily suggest that all of the Pepins anyone doesn't want be sent out for proper disposal. Make sure they are at about 65% humidity and packaged well. My addy is in my profile :laugh: .

I'll say this, every cigar maker can roll a few bad smokes. Some more than others. Of the selection of Pepin products I've smoked, overall I have been happy. They are a nice change from some of the other "newer" domestics on the market, and I look forward to new releases.

When it comes to cigars, no matter how good people say they are, if you don't like them just don't smoke them :rolleyes:

I have never experienced any problems whatsoever with any of Pepin's creations. There are certainly lines I favor over others, but all have been impeccable and I too have multitudes of Pepin boxes, both full, partially full and empty. Pay attention to your own tastes, and not so much to whatever "mixed reviews" seem to be occupying your time.

Gee, if I may say so, this seems just a bit harsh. I think we each recognize that it is our own tastes that matter in the end above any reviews. But, in my humble opinion, if reviews, which include "mixed reviews", were not worthy of occupying our time, then there wouldn't be such universal mention of them in nearly all internet cigar boards I peruse.

I think you missed the point. Reviews are subjective. MC wasn't taking any personal shots. I read the reviews, but trusts my OWN tastes. There are several individuals here whose tastes seem to paralell my own, so I can relate to their reviews. Most, however, are naught but limited information for me. The reviewers aren't lying. We (all) just have different frames of reference.

Exactly. Never once in his initial thread/post did he ever mention that he experienced the issues he was mentioning. Rather, it was along the lines of "I've read posts, People are saying, Mixed reviews..." At some point, regardless of how much time one spends with reviews, there comes a time when you have to actually sit down and try the sticks yourself and get your own take, putting the reviews aside.

I think Pepin is making the most of Nicaraguan tobacco. He has crafted some excellent blends, with the Tats IMHO being the best. I think many of his other labels have a similar taste, but they all suit my palate very nicely. The only other Nic cigars I enjoy are the La Gloria Serie R line and I prefer them with some age.

You don't like Padróns? Heretic...

Good catch. I love Padrons. They just taste like they come from a country of their own.

Agreed... goes to show you that it's not wise to judge tobacco by country of origin. It can taste very different depending on a number of factors. The tobacco plant doesn't know or care what country it is in. :)

Well put Moki. Someone get Rob on the horn, I think we should add a new rule to CP: Once a FOG has spoken, the thread is closed. :cool: JK, but I really have learned a lot within this community, and not just about cigars.

Big ups to you f.ckers.

Mick