• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Jury Duty...

Tony Bones

Grundalier
Rocks!

If only I could spend more time in the company of idiots, assinine fools, and criminals. Ah, the good life.

I just got called for 9/20.. Wanna go for me?

surferonthecrystalcoast said:
I know how you feel....I'm in court once a month. :angry: It's real eye opener!!!! :0
On which side? :p

I got called for jury duty a couple of years ago and was waiting in line to get in the courthouse with a lot of real dregs. I figured "Wow, lot's of nasty looking defendants today."

Turned out they were just ALL the other good citizens of Windham County that had also got called for jury duty :D

As it turned out, we were impaneled for a huge murder trial that was BIG NEWS here a few years ago. After three or four years, it had finally come to trial. I would not have minded sitting on the jury BUT during the voir diere, they introduce all the state and local police who will testify, all the prosecutors and defense attorneys, etc. AND ask you if you had heard of the story in the news media.

Well in this case you'd have to live under a rock to NOT have heard about the famous Jose Torres murder trial and I knew most of the attorneys, half of the policemen and most of the prosecutors :0 Windham County is only 100,000 people and I've lived here all my life so it's no wonder I knew the cast of characters.

They let me go home ;)

Here's the article from the Norwich Bulletin about the outcome of the trial:

Tuesday, March 5, 2002

Torres guilty in slaying
The mother of the 11-year-old victim cries with joy at Torres' conviction.
By DEBORAH A. MCLEOD
Special to the Bulletin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DANIELSON -- It took three and a half years to bring Jose Torres to trial for the vicious murder of an 11-year-old papergirl.
But it took a jury only three and half hours of deliberations to convict the 29-year-old Willimantic man of murder and capital felony in connection with Angelica Padilla's death.

"I thanked the jury because my daughter's life was in their hands," Padilla's mother, Milagros Cuevas, said. "We're going over to her memorial today and tell her we won."

A memorial sits in Alex Caisse Park in Willimantic off Route 195, near where the girl's body was found in 1998.

"I can't believe it. After three and a half years, we finally won," Cuevas said. "When the handcuffs were slapped on him, that was the best."

After going into deliberations late Friday, the jury returned Monday morning at 10:35 a.m. The verdict was announced shortly thereafter.

Torres will be sentenced Monday in Danielson Superior Court.

He likely will get life in prison, as the state did not seek the death penalty in the case. Capital felony calls for either death or life in prison.

Cuevas sobbed as the jury foreman read aloud the verdicts on both counts.

Torres, who had been a neighbor of Padilla and Cuevas, was expressionless -- as he has been throughout the month-long trial -- while handcuffs were placed on his wrists.

While Torres was led away in chains, Cuevas hugged Windham County State's Attorney Patricia Froelich and thanked her as they both cried.

The trial and verdict capped years of waiting and investigation by Padilla's family, police and the state's attorney's office.

Padilla was murdered Aug. 13, 1998, while delivering newspapers in a Foster Drive apartment complex in Willimantic, where she and Torres both lived.

Her body was found at 12:34 a.m. the next morning, when it was discovered she had been bludgeoned and her throat slit. Torres was arrested 13 days later and has maintained his innocence ever since.

After the verdict, Cuevas thanked the state's attorney's office, the Willimantic and state police officers involved in the case and the jury.

Cuevas' family and friends, including her husband, Luis -- by her side every day of the trial -- cried and hugged each other.

"We expected and hoped for this verdict," Linda Ubarry, Cuevas' sister, said. "Now we are just going to continue to stand together as a family like we always have before, during and after."

Froelich took over as lead prosecutor last July, when former State's Attorney Mark Solak was not reappointed.

Although Froelich rescinded the state's intention to seek the death penalty, Torres still faces life imprisonment without parole.

Froelich said DNA evidence extracted from a small spot of semen on Padilla's shorts and matched to Torres within a 1 in 300 million certainty, was the most damning evidence in the largely circumstantial case.

"The DNA was very strong evidence," Froelich said. "In fact it couldn't have been any stronger. We were assured a conviction because who else could it have been? It feels exhilarating that justice has prevailed."

In 1998, when the murder occurred, the DNA testing technology that was available could not conclusively match Torres to the semen.

But recent changes in mitochondrial and nuclear DNA testing, which test different parts of a DNA molecule, have made it possible to test much smaller and more contaminated samples.

The tests, done by the FBI and the Connecticut State Crime Lab, were found to include Torres as a contributor in every marker tested.

In addition to the DNA, fiber evidence against Torres was found to be consistent, but could not be perfectly matched because fiber testing can only include or exclude similarities.

I wish I could serve on a jury. I've been called for federal duty and circuit court.
They won't let me serve. Something about being a cop. :(

I would love to serve on a jury. ANYTHING to get out of work for a day or two! :thumbs:

I actually think it would be interesting to be on a trial but I don't get paid so if I was out of work more than a day or two it would really suck.

hrm... I've actually never been called in for jury duty... and I've always wanted to go. WTF?

I got called to be on a federal Grand Jury right before I moved from CT.
I went to Bridgeport for three days the first week of the month. The jury met for 18-24 months before getting dismissed. I was excused after 8 months because I moved out of state
One bonehead wanted to get out of serving on the jury. The judge asked him why he wanted to be excused? The guy said he owned a gun shop an "sometimes did special jobs for certain people". Every one started to laugh. The judge asked the guy" do you really wanted to testify to altering guns in federal court". The guy says "sure". The judge let him go,but me and the people near me saw him jesture to one of his assistants. I thought for sure I was going to read about an ATF raid in CT that weekend. :D

Bill

Once some years back when I was called for jury duty we were doing the questioning by the attorneys. The case was a civil suit with someone claiming 'mental anguish' from a car accident. I said I thought that was a crock. I got called into the judges chambers and grilled. I guess they thought I was just trying to get out of it. The judge made a joke about holding me in contempt of court that I didn't find very funny. I ended up getting off of jury duty..

hey other1,

from the New York Unified Court System page:

"What can I do if my employer, who employs more than ten people, refuses to pay for the first three days of my jury service? Top

You must first inform your employer that Section 519 of the Judiciary Law requires an employer to compensate their employees for the first three days of jury service.

If you are unsuccessful, please call 1-800-NYJUROR"

Check THIS PAGEout. Pretty nice.

I believe we should all attend jury duty when called. Jury duty is one of the foundations that our country, freedom, and judicial system are all built upon.

Unfortunately, I've never had the opportunity to serve on a civilian jury. But I can't wait !

Muley - Thanks for the info, but I'm an independant contractor, so if I dont work, I dont bill, and if I dont bill, I dont get paid.

Muley said:
hey other1,

from the New York Unified Court System page:

"What can I do if my employer, who employs more than ten people, refuses to pay for the first three days of my jury service? Top

You must first inform your employer that Section 519 of the Judiciary Law requires an employer to compensate their employees for the first three days of jury service.

If you are unsuccessful, please call 1-800-NYJUROR"

Check THIS PAGEout. Pretty nice.

I believe we should all attend jury duty when called. Jury duty is one of the foundations that our country, freedom, and judicial system are all built upon.

Unfortunately, I've never had the opportunity to serve on a civilian jury. But I can't wait !
other1 is a consultant...aka...self-employed so that does him no good ???

I served in a Court Martial once. Uncle paid us just the same. :thumbs:

Nope never been called though testified in many a case....:)

-P-

I got called once when I was in college, it was at a great time too-end of the year exams. I appealed and got out of it. I now live in a county that has just 3,000 people, and have lived here for roughly five years. I figure my time is coming though. ??? It's kind of ironic that I was called to jury duty in a county of over 35,000 previously, but haven't received the call yet from a much smaller one. Any chance we'll see you In the Jury Room on t.v.? I absolutely love that show. :thumbs: