• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Just bought a bike!

Charlie_NC

Not to mention all these "gears" and such lol. Buying a bike seemed like a good idea. I used to ride often. Then I went and looked at one on CL, sells for almost $200 online, got it very like new for $80, a Kent something or another...

It all seemed great till i took of to the end of the street then tried coming back up the hill.... I'm worn out and tired just form that. Guess maybe getting a bike was a good call as i'm obviously out of shape lol.

Well we'll see lol. I've been reading up on how to adjust the seat etc. to fit me better. I think I have the seat alittle too high inrelation to the handlebars now, but we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Make sure it fits. Nothing else matters nearly as much. Then change gears ealry and often and maintain cadence.

This topic reminds me of this one time I decided to take a ride with my friend, a hardcore cyclist.

We did about 30 miles, which killed me. Then his bike decided to crap out on him so we had to call a friend to pick us up.

Needless to say, I was feeling pretty sore the day after.

When I bought a bicycle last fall, one trip around the circle of our street, half a mile max and I was shot. I rode my bicycle to the gambling boat Thursday, 22 miles. I had a flat so I caught a ride home. It was the first time I ever remember being happy to have a flat tire.

Keep at it. It's real fun until something like what just happened to me happens to you. I was riding the mnt bike trails at my local park and flew over the handle bars at the end of a twenty foot drop. Hit the ground real HARD. I think I either bruised or fractured a rib(s). The pain is too much so I am heading to the doc tomorrow to get x-rays. :)

Keep at it. It's real fun until something like what just happened to me happens to you. I was riding the mnt bike trails at my local park and flew over the handle bars at the end of a twenty foot drop. Hit the ground real HARD. I think I either bruised or fractured a rib(s). The pain is too much so I am heading to the doc tomorrow to get x-rays. :)

Ouch! Sounds like quite the fall.

Almost happened to me too in the same situation, but luckily I somehow corrected myself. I learned pretty quickly not to brake just the front.

Mountain biking is an excellent exercise if you want to get your heart rate up.

One of my favorite tails is the Bull Dog. It goes right thru the location where they filmed the tv show M*A*S*H.
To this day, after about 30 tries. I still can not make it to the top without stopping. It really pushes me, but the rest of the day,
and for the rest of the week I can really feel the benefit of the bike ride. Just remember it takes time to build up strength and endurance.

I have been thinking about picking up a specialized rockhopper comp disc. Not sure though, its a ton of meoney.

Heh, try being out of shape and jumping right to a single speed bike. :) Talk about a leg killer. Can't wait to get my Redline D440. Sold my other bike last year when I was off of it due to medical issues. Now i'm back to really out of shape again. Kinda sucks.

I have been thinking about picking up a specialized rockhopper comp disc. Not sure though, its a ton of meoney.

First off, Specialized makes great bikes. We've had 4 and all of them have performed awesome. Ms KB has a hybrid (I forget which one particular) and loves it. I started with a basic Hardrock and after about 200 miles I upgraded to a Stumpjumper FSR. I didn't ride the FSR so much but it was awesome on the trails. I also had an old school Specialized Rockhopper, but Ms KB decided I didn't need it and sold it in a yard sale. :angry:

Depending on what you are doing here's my $0.02. The Rockhopper Comp disc is a great starter mountain bike. I love disc brakes, plus (if it's the model on the website) you've got the S-RAM components. :thumbs:

If you're a little advanced in mountain biking, try out a StumperJumper full suspension or hard tail. I love them both.

If you're riding around town and a little trail riding, go for the HardRock Sport Disc. You get basically all the stuff from the RockHopper, but a cheaper price. More $$$ for upgrades! :cool:

First off, Specialized makes great bikes. We've had 4 and all of them have performed awesome. Ms KB has a hybrid (I forget which one particular) and loves it. I started with a basic Hardrock and after about 200 miles I upgraded to a Stumpjumper FSR. I didn't ride the FSR so much but it was awesome on the trails. I also had an old school Specialized Rockhopper, but Ms KB decided I didn't need it and sold it in a yard sale. :angry:

Depending on what you are doing here's my $0.02. The Rockhopper Comp disc is a great starter mountain bike. I love disc brakes, plus (if it's the model on the website) you've got the S-RAM components. :thumbs:

If you're a little advanced in mountain biking, try out a StumperJumper full suspension or hard tail. I love them both.

If you're riding around town and a little trail riding, go for the HardRock Sport Disc. You get basically all the stuff from the RockHopper, but a cheaper price. More $$$ for upgrades! :cool:

Thanks for the advice bro, il let yall know how it goes!

I miss being able to bike. If anyone knows the Frat Row on the University of Utah Campus will know the hill I am talking about. When I first got the mountain bike I started at 950 East 400 South and worked my way around the loop there that goes to 500 South and upto 1300 East if I remember right. I'd take a left there and work my way down to the corner where Frat Row as I called it starts and make a right there. This was/is near the Astronomy building.

The grade on this hill is unbelievable. First time up it I didn't make it far. I'd have to walk the bike up this freaking monster grade of a hill. After about a week or two plugging at it, I'd get up and finish the ride off to the University of Utah Medical Center. After awhile, it would only take me 15 minutes from the start point to the Hospital on the route and if you been up to the Hospital, you will know that hill is a beast. I've seen worse over the years but that was my first real bike rides up to work. I'd start off after my shift at the main entrance of the hospital and peddle as fast as I could to head down and pray that I would hit a green light down that monster hill in from of the Frat houses. I would pass by vehicles going over 50 mph and talk about being young and dumb. ;)

I miss being able to do all that and remember how out of breath I'd be. So if you keep at it, you will condition yourself nicely. :D

The best bike for your health is a Harley. A close friend had a shirt on today that sums it all up:

Have you ever seen a motorcycle parked outside of a shrink's office?

The parents fixed my bike that had been sitting in their garage since college and gave it to me last Christmas. That night I took it for a swing around the block and I was winded. I kept working at it and now whenever I go to visit them, the live about 4 miles away with some long hills on the way, I ride my bike and they don't know I rode my bike until they look out the front door and don't see my car. I am a terrible biker when you start talking about cadence and all that but I do enjoy riding.