• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Just bought a large humi from cheaphumidors.com need advice on seasoni

danarf1

OK so this thing is perfect. It’s tall and was a hell of a deal. I recommend them 100%. I have the Oasis II XL in it and have put some small dishes of distilled water.

So my question is when is it ready to start stocking. The humidity sensor already says it’s at 75%. Now I live in south Florida and keep my house open so it’s not abnormal for this to be the case. Also when I open the door the sensor display immediately starts dropping because the door is open. So what else do I have to do and when is it safe to stock it?

This is the unit I purchased. http://www.cheaphumidors.com/Merchant2/gra...1/HUM-20003.gif

Thanks

Tom

Well you know if you do a search many answers are available on the subject.

But a few questions first to help you along.

1) What type of humidification device are you using?

2) How long has the humidor been in your house?

3) Is the unit near the heating or A/C vents?

4) What type of " humidity sensor" are you using?

5) Has the "sensor" been salt tested?

Well you know if you do a search many answers are available on the subject.

But a few questions first to help you along.

1) What type of humidification device are you using?

2) How long has the humidor been in your house?

3) Is the unit near the heating or A/C vents?

4) What type of " humidity sensor" are you using?

5) Has the "sensor" been salt tested?

LOL. All of this is in my thread. I live in Miami and its winter so we dont use Heat (EVER). The A/C wont come back on till the summer. I am using an Oasis II XL and it has its own sensor that plugs into it. I just set the humi up this morning. And I dont know how I would salt test the monitor unit for the Oasis II XL unit.

My main question is if the humidity says its at 75% is it good to use or do I need to wait a few days?

Okay this is staright forward then. The cabinet has only been in your house one day. I would give your cabinet at least five to seven days to aclimate to your house.

What is telling you that the cabinet it is at 75% humidity? I hope it is not the analog device in the door!

Second is 75% humidty is what you have the Oasis set to? If it is your cigars will not smoke right.

You need a hygrometer that has been calibrated so that you know the actual humidty level inside the cabinet.

Hope that helps you and there are some really good threads on the subject in the humidor section of Cigar Pass.

I would not depend on the humidity sensor of the oasis, they are notoriously inaccurate. Go out and get you a digital hygrometer or 3 and salt test it (them) (I'll let you search for it) and use that to determine your humidity levels.

I have a digital one coming from cheaphumidors.com. I will salt test it to make sure its accurate. I also plan on keeping it at 65% going forward. I just want the wood to have a chance to soak up some moisture. Ill let it stand in my house for about 5 days or so just to make sure. I have an expensive collection and woudl not want to hurt my sticks. Thanks for the info guys.

The short answer is 75% is much too high - most prefer 62%-65%.

Read through a few pages in "The Humidor" section and you'll find all the basic information you need for seasoning your tower. Your questions have been asked a thousand times over - learning to use the resources already available here will serve you well.

Again thanks for the info guys. This site has been a lifesaver and really gotten me excited with my cigar experience. I really enjoy it again and get excited about smoking cigars way more then before. Sorry to ask things that have been covered before. Ill make sure I search and find the right info. I have gone through a lot of posts on here and did not see a lot of stuff for larger humis like my new one so I wanted to be sure I got the correct info.

I have an expensive collection and woudl not want to hurt my sticks.

Welcome to CP where assumtions will be made from what you say within your posts. I'm sure many are wondering how you would have "an expensive collection" and not know anything about humidors?

Cigar Oasis II XL? I have a cabinet humidor too, quite similar to the one you just bought. Actually, mine is the "Antique" model humi. Anyway, I purchased it almost a year ago. I live in So Cal, so the humidity is typically around 38-50%. I also purchased the XL as well, and placed it at the bottom of the humidor. Filled it up with distilled water, and the thing constantly cycled on and off. I had to fill it up twice a week. Eventually the humidity was reading 70% based off the control unit on the XL. I decided to place 5 digital hygro's throughout the humidor to see how accurate the Oasis was. Towards the top of the humidor it was reading 50%. Middle was 53%. Bottom portion was around 62%. Here's the problem. The humidity sensor on the Cigar Oasis II XL is located ON THE DEVICE ITSELF! Therefore, how can you trust that it's really giving you an accurate reading? Of course it's going to say 70%, because the sensor is ON THE UNIT! I went back and forth with Cigar Oasis on this until I finally sold the unit. I had a very tough time trying to get the Oasis to properly humidify the entire cabinet - just wasn't happening.

I will say that the smaller Cigar Oasis units are excellent, and work well in small humidors and coolers. The XL just didn't do it for me.

I decided to get the Avallo Accumonitor. See my review here: http://cigarpass.com/avallo_review.shtml

If you really do have that expensive of a collection, then pay the price and get the right type of humidifier.

Do some reading on the forum, and you'll see that several people have had similar issues you and I had with the II XL, unfortunately.

Hope this helps.

ahhh crap Rod, now I have to go drop 400 bucks more. The only reason I went with the oasis II xl is because it only cost me 99$ more with the purchase of the humi and I even got 10% off the total order so it was only 90$. I saw that the sold for over 200$ most places so I said why not. I wish i did nore research beforehand. Bad job on my part. I'm placing my order for the Accumonitor right now. Thanks for the help

I have an expensive collection and woudl not want to hurt my sticks.

Welcome to CP where assumtions will be made from what you say within your posts. I'm sure many are wondering how you would have "an expensive collection" and not know anything about humidors?

They can wonder all the want. Just because I have a nice collection 6 boxes of diffrent ISOM's 2 boxes of Monte white #2's
2 boxs of AF Anejo Resv Limitada #49 Maduro's 2 boxes of of Opus X no 2 a boxs of Padron 1964 Anniversary's and a box of Pedron 1926's doesnt mean I have to be the know it all for humidors.

Before this purchase I was using a nice 4 drawer desktop humi that my firend bought me and the shop he got it from had already seasoned it. I also was storing the rest of the boxes in a friends coolidor.

I have never had a large humi like the one I just bought and am looking for some advice from the BOTL on proper seasoning of a large humi is all.

So I am sure by NO MEANS this is the greatest collection on earth its worth about 4 grand and I consider anything worth 4 grand expensive.

You will be very pleased with the Avallo humidification system. I recently installed one in a large cabinet that I modified into a humidor, and after a couple days seasoning, it's holding rock steady.

Ron and Matt are great guys to work with as well, and will answer any questions you may have concerning installation.

Good luck, and enjoy your new humidor!

That humidor is a beauty. I always look at that one every time I am on a humi web page.

I would love to hear how it works out for you in a few months. I have a wine cooler, and a desk top right now and I am at maximum stogy load in both. I think one of those would solve all my problems.

Very nice set up, and with the Avallo hydration set up you will have a top notch humi.

Nice collection also, you and I are on the same page as far as stock goes.

good luck.

Mike

ahhh crap Rod, now I have to go drop 400 bucks more. The only reason I went with the oasis II xl is because it only cost me 99$ more with the purchase of the humi and I even got 10% off the total order so it was only 90$. I saw that the sold for over 200$ most places so I said why not. I wish i did nore research beforehand. Bad job on my part. I'm placing my order for the Accumonitor right now. Thanks for the help
IMO the Cigar Oasis products are crap! (I have 2) They are worthless toys that easily break. I just bought the Avallo and set it up tonight, I will let you know what I think. The only small humidifier on the market I would buy would be the Hydra. Again, I hate the Cigar Oasis, they are JUNK! -Aaron