• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Just bought my first (SECOND) bottle of scotch.

smokintexas

What have I gotton myself into?!
Well, I was at the liquor store to replenish my Vodka supply and decided to try out a bottle of scotch. Greg had suggested a bottle I try, but while I was at the store was when CP was down so I couldn't verify which bottle it was. I knew it had something to do with the number 12, so I assumed it was a 12 y/o I was just unsure about which one, so I decided to get the one that sounded the most familiar. I ended up buying the Glenlivet 12 y/o, and once I checked the correspondences with Greg I realized he suggested the Balvenie 12 Doublewood. I hope this wasn't a horrible choice for a first scotch, but I'll be opening it up over the weekend to get my first impressions. I plan to drink it on the rocks with a splash of water to ease my way into it.

It's no Balvenie DW, but it's fine Scotch. I find it a little light for my tastes, but I'm someone who likes stronger flavors in almost everything. For a first bottle it's an excellent choice! :thumbs:

~Boar

I dont think you should have any worries. The Glenlivet 12 is very drinkable. Like Not said it is light but smooth and easy to drink. Open it up and enjoy!!

D

I kinda jumped the gun :blush:

I was going to wait but my anticipation got the better of me and I opened it up tonight.

I have never been able to drink dark liquor, it has always given me this sickening feeling in my stomach. I have, however, always been able to drink vodka/light rum on the rocks with no problems at all. When I opened the bottle and poured it into the glass the smell had me pretty worried. I put about 4 ice cubes in the glass, poured in the scotch and put a bit more than a "splash" :blush: of water in it (it ended up being about half and half.) I know, I know, that's not how scotch is intended to be had, but I've got to work my way into it.

I am very glad I did that much water because as it stands right now this is a very enjoyable drink. I can definitely picture myself toning down on the amount of water I use to one day (hopefully) being able to drink it straight with no problems.

Edit:
As I continue to drink this I am just amazed at how much more taste and flavor than drinking Vodka does. Don't get me wrong, I'll still drink vodka, but it's just a completely different experience.

I would also like to quickly note that this damned place has turned out to be an expensive place to be a member of. Is there a membership fee? No. Since I have joined though I have upgraded from a 25 ct with a few Thompson house blends (eww..) to a Vinotemp with boxes of what I believe to be very enjoyable cigars, I have graduated from drinking Shiner everyday to drinking a wide array of different craft beers, I have begun to drink Scotch, and I have also begun to expand my wine knowledge as well.

Though I have spent a lot of money on these recent habits, I have also learned a lot, and found things that I really enjoy, so many thanks go out to the members here that have "opened my eyes."

You're tasting life. That's worth the price and the effort, in my opinion.

Congrats on all the new stuff.

Smokintexas,

I grew up in San Antonio and didn't know anything about Scotch, but I drank a hell of a lota Cuervo and JD. :laugh:

But I've been drinking Scotch now for a few years and have developed a taste for it. I still like other spirits as well though. :)

The Glenlivet 12 is a GREAT beginners Scotch. As your a first time Scotch drinker, the major flavor profile that your going to have to get used to is the "peat" flavor. That's the smoking flavor imparted into the whiskey as the malt is dried by a process whereby peat is burned.

Anyway.... Glenlivet is a "Speyside" Scotch. Generally meaning that it is from this region in Scotland. (All Scotch is made in Scotland) Anyway it ALSO means that it is less "peaty" then other regional Scotches, like Highlands and Islays. Your "Highland" Scotches are a little more "peatier" and your Islays generally taste like pure smoke. :)

So the Glenlivet you got is a nice mild peated single malt whiskey.

I commend you so far.......... because your first Scotch has been a single malt!!! BRAVO!!

I'm not a fan of Blended Scotch at all. I only drink Single Malt. Do yourself a favor and do the same.

Anyway.....

Actually, while everyone else on this Forum seems to absolutely LOVE "The Balvenie Doublewood." (and don't get me wrong, it is an excellent Scotch, one of the best) I am pretty much strictly a Speyside kind of guy. The Balvenie is a little too smoky for my palate.

The two regular Scotches that I get that are smooth, light on the peat and more on the sherry side are:

1. The Macallan
2. Glenfiddich Sola Reserva and on special occasions Glenfiddich Gran Reserva

The two flavors I find predominant in The Glenlivet are Apples and Grass. Do yourself a big favor, don't add water or ice. If you absolutely have to add ice only add 1 cube to a "two finger" glass.

The Glenlivet gets a little sour or bitter when you add water or ice. You'll find that by adding ice or water to a lot of whiskies, that the flavor profile usually changes and usually for the worst. Some whiskey holds up good to a couple of cubes of ice, but The Glenlivet isn't one of them. It's best by itself or "neat."

Hope this helps. :) ............. oh and btw, be careful, whiskey is a little different then beer, don't drink too much at one time :)

Dave

You sir, obviously don't know what you are missing. A good blend is a good scotch but I've only been drinking scotch for about 35 years.

I commend you so far.......... because your first Scotch has been a single malt!!! BRAVO!!

I'm not a fan of Blended Scotch at all. I only drink Single Malt. Do yourself a favor and do the same.

Dave

The only problem with this is that the Gran Reserva is finished in RUM casks and not sherry casks. Before it gos into the rum casks it is stored in ex-bourbon casks.

The two regular Scotches that I get that are smooth, light on the peat and more on the sherry side are:

1. The Macallan
2. Glenfiddich Sola Reserva and on special occasions Glenfiddich Gran Reserva

You sir, obviously don't know what you are missing. A good blend is a good scotch but I've only been drinking scotch for about 35 years.

X2 (except for the 35 years of drinking scotch :laugh: )

It is well worth an afternoon of reading through Ray's (AVB) Reviews. It could be too much info for beginers, but you will not find many more a well constructed review of whiskey. Very helpful to guild you as to the taste you are looking for IMOP.

Unlike Ray, my primary love is Bourbon. While still a whiskey it has a whole story of it's own that can be found in another thread without repeat here.

I mention Ray's reviews to help you out because you are a good guy and it is a wealth of knowledge, and I mention looking into bourbon because it can sometimes, to some people, provide a little more quality for the dollar and when choosen to your taste can be an equal or trump (again a matter of preference) other whiskey.

Welcome to another thing to spend money on and enjoy the good life my friend.

Actually, while everyone else on this Forum seems to absolutely LOVE "The Balvenie Doublewood." (and don't get me wrong, it is an excellent Scotch, one of the best) I am pretty much strictly a Speyside kind of guy. The Balvenie is a little too smoky for my palate.

Errrrrm . . . . Balvenie IS a Speyside. Doesn't mean you have to like it. But . . . well, just sayin' I guess. ???

~Boar

AVB and Not A Nice Person,

I apologize for not being absolutely 100% accurate with my comments that obviously were only meant to try to encourage Smokintexas and let him know that he shouldn't feel bad about his selection of Scotch.

So with that said:

Yes, I know that there are good "blends" out on the market. I did not mean to suggest that there weren't. I just personally enjoy single malts better then any blend that I can afford.

But...... Smokintexas..... I'm sorry, I was wrong and I stand corrected. I was making my comment from more of a "cheaper" Scotch blend viewpoint. There are some Scotch Blends that are very good. I just don't personally care for any of them.

YES.... The Balvenie is a "Speyside" even though it says "Highland Malt" on the label. I know this.....

What I meant was that it is more on the "smoky" side for a Speyside. My comment meant that I prefer the more "lightly peated" Speys..... i.e., The Macallan, Glenfiddich, Glenlivet etc......

AVB ----- Sorry, for some reason I had Gran Reserva on the mind...... Smokintexas I meant the 18 year Ancient Reserva which has Sherry notes and is very good.

Guys..... next time could you be a little more understanding and I'll try to be a little more careful with my info... :)

Smokintexas,
Welcome to the scotch world!

AVB's reviews should come with the following warning:

CAUTION: Reading this review may result in you wanting to run to the liquor store to spend an obscene amout of money.

Edit to add: Most of the distilleries advocate the use of a little water or an ice cube to open up the aroma and flavors profile. While it's not for everyone don't be afraid to experiment to see what you like certain whiskies. I find adding enough to cut the alcohol burn enhances my enjoyment immensely.

Thanks for the advice and tips guys, I'm looking forward to exploring this new hobby. I keep telling myself that I'll take it slow, buy one bottle at a time, drink the bottle and when I'm done buy another one. The problem with that logic is that it was the same thing I told myself when I got into cigars, and we see how well that worked out. I think I'll stick with some cheaper varietals until I get to the point that I can drink it straight. I would hate to buy an expensive bottle and ruin what was intended by watering it down. I am ALWAYS open to any suggestions so feel free to pass along your experiences/knowledge. I'll be reading over Ray's reviews with the hope of not wanting to spend all my money on everything he reviews! :laugh: :blush:

...I keep telling myself that I'll take it slow, buy one bottle at a time, drink the bottle and when I'm done buy another one...

Why bother? The Glenlivet will keep! Go get another one! :thumbs:

As a side note to you I have found drinking good stout as a backer to my whiskey is wonderful. In particular Victory Storm King or non cream stout (I am not a beer drinker, but for this I will make some exception). Knowing you are a beer drinker, you may try to combine those flavors you like in beer to ease into the falvors you begin to love in whiskey. Just an idea, can get you pie eyed in a hurry too :rolleyes:

As a side note to you I have found drinking good stout as a backer to my whiskey is wonderful. In particular Victory Storm King or non cream stout (I am not a beer drinker, but for this I will make some exception). Knowing you are a beer drinker, you may try to combine those flavors you like in beer to ease into the falvors you begin to love in whiskey. Just an idea, can get you pie eyed in a hurry too :rolleyes:

Well I'll have to try that out as I just bought a six pack of the Storm King! I'm currently drinking my second glass of this scotch and accompanying it is an 858 Maduro. Fantastic experience thus far except for this damned Texas weather. 70 degrees during the week, mid 40s today, and back to 60-70 tomorrow, what the hell?!

You do know that Glenfiddich is right across the street from Balvenie. I don't mean metaphorically either, it's like 20 yards away.

My comment meant that I prefer the more "lightly peated" Speys..... i.e., The Macallan, Glenfiddich, Glenlivet etc......

Oh I am glad to hear you picked up that Storm King, it is the best beer I have ever had. Like God himself made it. I just love it with bourbon.

You are having a hppy evening. I am joining you in about 2 hours.