• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Just caught a guy stealing from me!

Weird. Maybe this is the trigger he needed to get some help with whatever issues he's having. Sounds like he "snapped".

Reading that made me feel nauseous. Life is strange, and hard on some people. What would any of us do if everything just tanked? Mark, you're the man for not just jumping to the 'electric chair' conclusion.

Kinda like cheating on a spouse though, isn't it. Sh.t could turn around for him, he could still come to your shop, but it will never be the same between the two of you. There's a pain in that, and ultimately, that may be his punishment. Something far worse than any $50 fine.

Reading that made me feel nauseous. Life is strange, and hard on some people. What would any of us do if everything just tanked? Mark, you're the man for not just jumping to the 'electric chair' conclusion.

Kinda like cheating on a spouse though, isn't it. Sh.t could turn around for him, he could still come to your shop, but it will never be the same between the two of you. There's a pain in that, and ultimately, that may be his punishment. Something far worse than any $50 fine.

It was just weird. I know that he has some serious issues, and struggles with family, business and health issues. The crazy thing is if he would have said, "Mark could you float me some cigars, I only have 40 bucks today." I would have filled a bag and sent him on the way.

I just wonder if he knowingly set out to steal cigars today or if it was just the most oppertune moment and was compelled to steal. Either way, he is sick and need serious help.

Hey could be a clepto maniac. He may have irrestible urges to take things.

It was just weird. I know that he has some serious issues, and struggles with family, business and health issues. The crazy thing is if he would have said, "Mark could you float me some cigars, I only have 40 bucks today." I would have filled a bag and sent him on the way.

I 100% understand you on this. If I have something you think you just have to have, then ask me, I would rather give it to than for you to cheat or steal it.

Tim

You must be trustworthy. Most places have security cameras that cover the store and humidor.

I have been talking to my security company about camera. We have a small narrow shop with the humidor on one wall. From behind the counter you can see the entire humidor. But once you step in the back you are out of site from the sales floor. Usually we have a couple people behind the counter so it's usually not a major issue with theft because we can see everything.

I just wonder if he knowingly set out to steal cigars today or if it was just the most oppertune moment and was compelled to steal. Either way, he is sick and need serious help.

The whole thing is pretty strange. I mean, we all go through sh.t, but there definitley is a type of individual who is so quick to share such intimate details, and I know I'm not alone in saying that those people are often the ones we don't trust.

I had a tree removed not long ago, and the guy who did it was also supposed to drop some dirt and level shit off. He skipped that part and never bothered to call me. I end up calling him 3 or 4 times and each time it was some bullshit about getting divorced, this and that with his kids, life falling apart. I didn't even know this guy. I was like, "Dude, I'm sorry about that shit, but what about my f'ng dirt."

Know what I'm saying? I mean, Mark, did you ever meet this guy's family. Ever been to his house? Did you ever find it strange that he was dropping all the personal stuff on you, or do a lot of your customers do the same thing?

BTW, I know this is 'slightly' off topic, but I'm curious.

The whole thing is pretty strange. I mean, we all go through sh.t, but there definitley is a type of individual who is so quick to share such intimate details, and I know I'm not alone in saying that those people are often the ones we don't trust.

I had a tree removed not long ago, and the guy who did it was also supposed to drop some dirt and level shit off. He skipped that part and never bothered to call me. I end up calling him 3 or 4 times and each time it was some bullshit about getting divorced, this and that with his kids, life falling apart. I didn't even know this guy. I was like, "Dude, I'm sorry about that shit, but what about my f'ng dirt."

Know what I'm saying? I mean, Mark, did you ever meet this guy's family. Ever been to his house? Did you ever find it strange that he was dropping all the personal stuff on you, or do a lot of your customers do the same thing?

BTW, I know this is 'slightly' off topic, but I'm curious.

I have met his wife and kids only once. It was a brief meeting before a basketball game. So really my only
interactions with the guy has been in the shop.

I do have to say that the cigar shop owners are like bartenders. We hear all kinds of stuff whether we want to or not. LOL

Some you listen to some, some you nip in the bud from the get to. You have to be able to filter things pretty well or it will drive you nuts.

Having owned retail businesses in the past, I have a different take on this. I read what all of you said and I admire your sensitivity towards this guy's mental state and his need to get help...but as far as I would be concerned...a customer like this guy you don't need, don't let the door hit him in the ass too gently. The dumb routine he plays only goes so far...and it surely shouldn't provide him with a pass in this situation. He's just a common criminal.

Thank God you finally caught him, chances are he's cost you a ton over the years and that's money out of YOUR family's mouth. I don't feel sorry for this guy in the least, he knows what he's doing...be sure of that. Chances are he does it to others as well and he'll find anothe B&M to steal from.

Now you have to take this as a wake-up call to do something about your stock and it's well being. Cameras are a good deterrent to say the least...even if they're fake...no one will know that. Mirrors are good too, but if a thief wants to steal, they will find a way. You hate to lock your humidors and this guy surely shouldn't spoil it for everyone....but ask yourself....how have your monthly inventories been going over the years? If they've been good, then this could be an isolated incident...if not?...take action.

Mark, unfortunately it's the people you least expect that will take advantage of you....and at $20 a stick, that's a lot of money over the long haul stolen from you and your family's future.

Good Luck

Having owned retail businesses in the past, I have a different take on this. I read what all of you said and I admire your sensitivity towards this guy's mental state and his need to get help...but as far as I would be concerned...a customer like this guy you don't need, don't let the door hit him in the ass too gently. The dumb routine he plays only goes so far...and it surely shouldn't provide him with a pass in this situation. He's just a common criminal.

Thank God you finally caught him, chances are he's cost you a ton over the years and that's money out of YOUR family's mouth. I don't feel sorry for this guy in the least, he knows what he's doing...be sure of that. Chances are he does it to others as well and he'll find anothe B&M to steal from.

Now you have to take this as a wake-up call to do something about your stock and it's well being. Cameras are a good deterrent to say the least...even if they're fake...no one will know that. Mirrors are good too, but if a thief wants to steal, they will find a way. You hate to lock your humidors and this guy surely shouldn't spoil it for everyone....but ask yourself....how have your monthly inventories been going over the years? If they've been good, then this could be an isolated incident...if not?...take action.

Mark, unfortunately it's the people you least expect that will take advantage of you....and at $20 a stick, that's a lot of money over the long haul stolen from you and your family's future.

Good Luck

Well said. I couldn't agree more.

Here' s some irony. The people you trust the most are the one's that usually let you down.

I'm speaking from my own experience here but it has happened to me three times, off the top of my head.

For example, I had a general manager who also happened to be a personal friend of my family. In those days we had 4,000 agents working for us, 20 reps, 3 sales managers.
Without boring you. We dealt in cash where the reps would come in and be balanced off with their sales manager, who in turn balanced off with the general manager.
It took us 6 months to discover that he, the general manager had stolen thousands from us. Yes, we had balances and checks but not as we should have, seeing as this was
the guy we trusted the most in our business.

I have other horror stories. We all have them in business. Just don't be shocked when you get shocked, it takes all kinds and most people unfortunately, are only interested in themselves.

The sad part is that when something like this happens, you get hurt because you usually lose a friend.

Brian

Stealing is stealing no matter who does it. It's just worse when it's someone you think is a friend. Don't take the sob story as we all have them. If you don't have the money then you don't buy what you want.

DG

Sorry to hear that Mark, he not only put himself in an awkward situation he puts you on the lookout now with all current and future customers. How are you to trust even the guys you have known for a long time. This guy has ruined more than just a couple of cigars in his pocket... bastig.

After reading a few more posts, I am glad you did what you did. You're a nice guy and it clearly shows you are concerned for him...even though he did not show you the same respect.

I don't hold thieves in very high regard and was quick to assume that he's a dick, but I don't know him or the situation like you do. You're a helluva guy Mark and this ordeal shows your true colors. Good job!

Gary makes a good point about fake cameras. If they're real, they'll need to be wired up and you'll need a DVR on the other end. It's a pretty big expense that could take a long time for you to see ROI. The fakes are a good deterrent, and don't need to be hooked up to anything.

Based on your description of the store being long and narrow with the humidor on one wall, I'm envisioning cabinet humidors with glass fronts. If this is the case, you may want to consider placing contact sensors on the sliding doors and have it set up so that a "beep" alerts you when one of the doors is opened. This way, even if you're in the back, you are alerted to the fact that somebody has opened a door. I'm sure a descent security guy in your area can set this up with a beep that's not too annoying so the customers don't feel alarmed by it. Just a thought.

By the way, you could not have handled that situation any better than you did...handled like a gentleman. Even if that particular customer has issues and doesn't return out of embarrassment (or whatever issues he has), you treated him fairly - and you stand a better chance of him saying something positive about your establishment to a potential customer.

Gary makes a good point about fake cameras. If they're real, they'll need to be wired up and you'll need a DVR on the other end. It's a pretty big expense that could take a long time for you to see ROI. The fakes are a good deterrent, and don't need to be hooked up to anything.

actually you can get a camera and monitor system add a cheap VCR to tape with and you have a nice theft deterent system for probably a little over 100 bucks. Less if you do a little research.

If you can a run a co-ax cable you can hook one of these things up. a 5 pack of VHS tapes and you're good to go for awhile.

Sounds like you handled it much better than I would have. Or better than most would have. He must have some major problems.