• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Just got back from honeymoon..

smokintexas

What have I gotton myself into?!
Let me start by saying that it's been too damn long since I've been around here, life has been crazy hectic with the new job, wedding, honeymoon, life, yadda yadda yadda... Anyway, the wife and I went to Playa Del Carmen and stayed in the Riu Palace Mexico and everything was amazing! I knew I would want to smoke a cigar while I was there (first one that I've smoked in probably over 6 months!) and was obviously interested in acquiring some Cubans. Turned out that there was a little "market" inside the hotel plaza where there was a booth with a guy claiming to be selling Cuban Cigars. Knowing the little I knew, I assumed they'd be fake just because of where they were (so close to the toursity area) but I didn't feel like searching around for real cubans (had other things on my mind..) so I went ahead and bought some. He started out at $65 for a box of 3 Cohiba Edicion Limitada (Esplendidos???) - Keep in mind I know nothing about cuban cigars other then the fact that there are more fakes out there than there are real.. When he said $65 I said "wow, that's more than I wanted to spend, thanks anyway" as I walked away he said "what can you give me?" I said $20, he laughed and said $45 was the lowest he could go and again I thanked him and walked away, he then offered $40, $35, $30, $25, until he finally said "show me the money." I got two boxes (6 cigars total) for $40 and even knowing they were probably fake I felt like it was a decent amount to spend for 6 cigars. Boy was I right, real or not, that cigar was nothing short of beautiful. I don't know how much of it was that I hadn't smoked in quite some time, but everything from the draw, to the way it burned, to the way it tasted, was just perfect. So, it if was real then that's great, but I'm guessing it wasn't and it doesn't make a bit of difference. Great cigar and I brought 5 of 'em home (no problems with customs, they didn't even check my bag) to smoke at a later date. I do have some photos that I'll try to remember how to post so you guys can see what they are.

I have a few more pictures of them, but I'm assuming this is probably the only one you'll need to figure out they're fakes!
Honeymoon%20Pictures%20%28153%29.JPG

Congrats on getting hitched. The wife and I went to Cancun for our 20th and 25th anniversary and loved it. Ya the glass top sticks are fake but what counts is you enjoyed.
Best of luck.
Tom

Dont spend another millisecond worrying about their authenticity.....they're as fake as Pam Anderson's boobs......:laugh:

But, you enjoyed 'em so at the end of the day.....that's all that really matters. Same as Pam Anderson's boobs.....:p

Dont spend another millisecond worrying about their authenticity.....they're as fake as Pam Anderson's boobs......:laugh:

But, you enjoyed 'em so at the end of the day.....that's all that really matters. Same as Pam Anderson's boobs.....:p

:laugh:

Fake doesn't always equal a horrible cigar. There are plenty of counterfeits that are made well, just not with Cuban tobacco or by the brand they claim to be. Then again there are just some really bad fakes as well. In any case as the others have said, as long as you enjoyed them and for $20 its not a bad deal!

A lot of times it's not so much that a paticular cigar is special so much as the occasion that makes it special. At least you knew they were probably fakes and paid accordingly.

Smoke em if you like em...just don't forget where they came from so they don't infiltrate CP.

If you bargain over the price with a street vendor...you're getting hosed.

Smoke em if you like em...just don't forget where they came from so they don't infiltrate CP.

If you bargain over the price with a street vendor...you're getting hosed.

I agree.

Congrats on the marriage though! :) Glad there is another person who isn't scared to go to mexico lol. That said, you won't see me in Juarez anytime soon...

Congrats on getting married!

My parents went to Mexico about 6 months ago and brought me some sticks that look very similar to those (except they were torpedo). They were fakes, but they smelled really bad, so I didn't try to smoke them.

As long as you enjoyed the smoke, that's all that matters...

Congrats on your wedding and what seemed to be a fantastic honeymoon. Like others have posited here, those were definitely fauxhibas that you purchased. That said a cigar does not need to be Cuban to be good. You bought cigars, paid what you believed to be a fair price and really enjoyed them. In my book that is a good cigar. Enjoy the rest of them.

The glass top Cohiba rides again! :laugh: Good job haggling him down, though. Sometimes fakes can be decent smokes....other times, they're dog dookie.

Congrats on your marriage, I just got hitched in September.

The glass top Cohiba rides again! :laugh: Good job haggling him down, though. Sometimes fakes can be decent smokes....other times, they're dog dookie.

Congrats on your marriage, I just got hitched in September.

Congrats to you as well!

And no worries Jake, I would never even consider puting these into rotation! Even though I haven't been around in quite some time all you gents have were so great to me previously that I wouldn't even think to do anything sketchy to any of ya's (even though you're an aggie fan ;) .)

I do hope to become more active here sometime soon as I would like to put together another vinotemp and fill'er up!

First off congrats on getting married! Secondly, there is no way those could be fake CC's. Look at all of those stickers on the box....this proves they are authentic! :p