• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Justin Verlander traded to the Astros

CoventryCat86

Corresponding authority
WOW! The Houston Astros acquired Detroit's starting pitcher Justin Verlander on August 31, less than an hour before the deadline to be able to pitch for the Astros in the post season.

For me as an Astros fan for the past 44 years, this is huge!

Verlander has been with the Tigers for all of his career and had a no-trade clause in his contract. This must have been a very tough decision for him but I'm glad he made it.

The Astros have been having a great year but their pace for the past month or so hasn't been what it was in the beginning of the year. They still have the best road record in the majors which is pretty cool and might be what helps them advance in the playoffs.

It was definitely interesting to see the Tigers shed so much payroll in one day between Verlander and Upton. They'll be interesting to watch this off-season to see if they feel like they've purged enough, or keep going.
You have to like the 1-2 punch of Verlander and Keuchel in the postseason.

That's right you are an Astro's fan.
I still have a hard time seeing the Astros in the American League.
No kidding, I remember when they came into the league with the Mets. They were known as the Colt .45s. and they were bad but not as bad as the Mets.

I still have a hard time seeing the Astros in the American League.
I agree. They made it a condition of approving Drayton McLane selling the team which to me is BS. Something to do with the owner of the Brewers wanting the Brewers to be in the National League and when that happened, the NL Central had too many teams setting up forcing the Astros to be shoved over into the American League at a later time. A scumbag move by whoever that was which I'm not too fond of.

I don't like the DH rule and always thought NL baseball was much more interesting than AL ball with the DH. Since I'm more of an Astros fan than an NL fan, I don't pay much attention to the NL now.

It was definitely interesting to see the Tigers shed so much payroll in one day between Verlander and Upton. They'll be interesting to watch this off-season to see if they feel like they've purged enough, or keep going.
You have to like the 1-2 punch of Verlander and Keuchel in the postseason.

I sure hope so but Keuchel doesn't seem quite the same since he's come back from that pinched nerve problem. I remember pretty much always fearing Verlander whenever the Astros played the Tigers. He may not be as great as he was a few years ago but he's still a force to be reckoned with. Kinda like Albert Pujols when he was with the Cardinals, I remember him killing the Astros when they were in the National League and now that he's with the Angels, we still have to deal with him, LOL! I love the guy but I wish he was an Astro and not an Angel.:D

That's right you are an Astro's fan.

No kidding, I remember when they came into the league with the Mets. They were known as the Colt .45s. and they were bad but not as bad as the Mets.
Hey, at least the Mets have won two World series since they both joined the league in 1962, the Astros have only been to one and didn't win a game, shutout by George's White Sox in 2005, 4-0.:eek:

I don't get all down and out with them or any team I root for just because they don't win the "big" championship. I've watch so many regular season Astsros games over the years and seen some really cool come from behind wins that have given me more pleasure than any of the playoff games I've watched since 1980, the first year the Astros ever even made the post season. One of my favorites was when the Astros had to go to Yankee Stadium a couple of years ago for a one game do or die tie breaker in the playoffs and the beat the feared Yankees on their home turf. I have a ton of respect for the team who has won 27 World Series so when my Astros can pull something like that, that's an accomplishment that's pretty cool.

They're having one of their best years ever and it's been a blast watching them accomplish what they've done this year so I'll be very happy with whatever the result is.

Last edited:
I miss them in the NL Central. They were great cannon fodder for the Cards. For a number of years. I forgot Bill was an Astros fan. Frankly, I'm sure the Cubs and the rest of the NL Central are now glad they are in the AL as they are a real fine team now and this season the Central has been kind of sucky. The Cubs are however kicking it up a notch in the past couple of weeks. Verlander will add to the talent for the playoffs and they were fortunate to be able to swing the deal.

I miss them in the NL Central. They were great cannon fodder for the Cards. For a number of years. I forgot Bill was an Astros fan. Frankly, I'm sure the Cubs and the rest of the NL Central are now glad they are in the AL as they are a real fine team now and this season the Central has been kind of sucky. The Cubs are however kicking it up a notch in the past couple of weeks. Verlander will add to the talent for the playoffs and they were fortunate to be able to swing the deal.

LOL! I was happy for the Cardinals when the won the big one in 2006. The general consensus was the Tigers were going to win it in four or five....NOT! Verlander had two losses, game 1 and game 4, didn't he?:eek: That was a pretty darn good Cardinals team that year and being an NL fan, I was pulling for the Cardinals. Heck, I was even happy for the Cubs last year. Theo Epstein worked a miracle for the Red Sox, three World Series wins after an 86 year drought and brought his magic to Chicago and I knew he'd do it there too eventually which he did last year.

You're right, the Cubs are getting back on track after what was looking like they weren't going to get to the playoffs this year, still a ways to go though....

Bill I agree the DH just doesn't make sense, takes all the strategy of managing out of the late innings. I also dislike the expansion with the odd number of teams and way they split up the divisions. Oh well it is a business, but it's the only sport I watch on a regular basis.

Bill I agree the DH just doesn't make sense, takes all the strategy of managing out of the late innings. I also dislike the expansion with the odd number of teams and way they split up the divisions. Oh well it is a business, but it's the only sport I watch on a regular basis.

That it is and same with me on the second part, I pretty much only watch baseball.

Carlos Corera returned today, Lance McCullers will be back this week and the Astros just swept a three game series from the Mets today. Prior to this, it was looking iffy for the Astros to finish with the best record in the AL since the Indians just won ten in a row but finishing first in the AL would be fantastic and today's developments are a plus.

I just ran across something earlier today, Sports Illustrated cover story on June 30, 2014 said the Astros would win the World Series in 2017 with George Springer on the cover.

I hope they're right.

The stros have a great team. Austin Kerns is from
Owasso, OK.....which is a Tulsa suburb.

Bill, went to the Pirates v Cards game tonight and sat in front of long time (8 years I think) Astros manager Bill Virdon. He started in the bigs as a Cardinal in 1955 and I believe he was rookie of the year. Tonight he had his Pirate gear on and is still a warm and engaging guy. Signed autographs for for all the folks that recognized him. I am glad I had the chance to talk with him a bit today. Very nice experience for me. At 86 he still has firm handshake and a warm smile.

I agree. They made it a condition of approving Drayton McLane selling the team which to me is BS. Something to do with the owner of the Brewers wanting the Brewers to be in the National League and when that happened, the NL Central had too many teams setting up forcing the Astros to be shoved over into the American League at a later time. A scumbag move by whoever that was which I'm not too fond of.

That was Bud Selig, the commissioner of the MLB at the time.

Bill, went to the Pirates v Cards game tonight and sat in front of long time (8 years I think) Astros manager Bill Virdon. He started in the bigs as a Cardinal in 1955 and I believe he was rookie of the year. Tonight he had his Pirate gear on and is still a warm and engaging guy. Signed autographs for for all the folks that recognized him. I am glad I had the chance to talk with him a bit today. Very nice experience for me. At 86 he still has firm handshake and a warm smile.
WOW, that's really cool! Yes, I remember when he managed the Astros back in the early 80's when they made the playoffs for the first time in 1980 and again in the split season strike year in 1991.

I did not know he broke in with the Cardinals. Now that the Astros are out of the NL Central, I root for the Cardinals, LOL! I've always admired Albert and he's still someone to be feared with the Angels.

Cardinals and the Angels ain't out yet..........

I keep giving up hope for my Cards this year, and they keep clawing their way back to relevance. We need a middle of the order bat something fierce. I do miss ole' Albert sometimes.

As an Oakland Athletics fan, I wish your team misery. I dislike JV, and the Stro's are a division rival.

Jose Cruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuz

And I was there in 81 when Ryan (with help from Puhl) threw his no hitter.

I have fallen off the baseball wagon, but I still search for the 'stros scores

T

I keep giving up hope for my Cards this year, and they keep clawing their way back to relevance. We need a middle of the order bat something fierce. I do miss ole' Albert sometimes.

It's hard to win when the offensive line-up has 8 guys who are great 6,7 and 8 place hitters, no big bat, no closer, two big league starters short and two relievers short.