• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

keeping a cigar after cutting it

lemonsandpeaches

I went to my local cigar lounge today, bought a cigar to smoke right away, and had the attendant cut it. However, then something came up and I decided that I would smoke it another day. The question is: what happens to a cigar if you cut it but don't smoke it right away? It's always recommended that you cut the cigar only when you're ready to smoke it, but I've never had it explained to me. Does it lose flavor or dry out? I'm keeping it in my humidor. How long can I safely keep it there before smoking?

I went to my local cigar lounge today, bought a cigar to smoke right away, and had the attendant cut it. However, then something came up and I decided that I would smoke it another day. The question is: what happens to a cigar if you cut it but don't smoke it right away? It's always recommended that you cut the cigar only when you're ready to smoke it, but I've never had it explained to me. Does it lose flavor or dry out? I'm keeping it in my humidor. How long can I safely keep it there before smoking?

Who 'always recommended' that?

To me, it's no different than the foot being open. As long as you keep it in a properly humidified humidor or container, you shouldn't have a problem.

Head over to the intro forum and do a little introduction so we can get to know a little about you. Welcome to CP.

To me, it's no different than the foot being open. As long as you keep it in a properly humidified humidor or container, you shouldn't have a problem.
...yep. Proper humidification is all that's required.

Now, once you LIGHT it, don't put it back in your humidor unless you want your smokes to taste like an ashtray...!!....:p

I have done it for years.
This is especially useful when you get some smokes that are a little tight on the draw.
Clip it, stick it in a 60-65 humi for a week, and the draw may open up to where it is easier to smoke.

If you get one that is plugged, you can always try this, and if after a week or 3, of it is still plugged, put a draw poker through it, keep it in
and let those sit together for another week. Might save the cigar.

I'm curious to know whether or not storing a cut cigar is better than storing a non-cut cigar. I would think both ends being cut would allow for better flow of air in a humidor, and even lower time needed to rest an over humidified cigar.

I see, very interesting. So what you guys are telling me is that not only does cutting not worsen a cigar over time, it might actually improve it if properly stored? Thank you for responses, everybody.

@grateful1 : I've read this recommendation on a few sites online, including cigars.about.com, which says, "A cigar should not be cut until you are ready to smoke." But I'm very skeptical of unproven/unexplained statements like this, especially online, that's why I'm posting here. And I'm glad I did.

I'm curious to know whether or not storing a cut cigar is better than storing a non-cut cigar. I would think both ends being cut would allow for better flow of air in a humidor, and even lower time needed to rest an over humidified cigar.

Don't overthink. It'd likely make no difference.

-Mark

...you think air would flow through a cigar in the humidor..?? Sweet mother of high performance air handlers, what type of fan do you have in there....??....:laugh:

Don't overthink. It'd likely make no difference.

-Mark
Agree 100%.

i family member recently bought a cuban at a duty free shop and it came cut.. however when i took it out of the tube it fell apart. but from what im reading here, thats not connected...

i family member recently bought a cuban at a duty free shop and it came cut.. however when i took it out of the tube it fell apart. but from what im reading here, thats not connected...

You are right. No connection with cutting the foot. But big connection on glass tube cigar and Duty Free shop. First it's probably a Guantanemara machine made and second duty free shops are not known for keeping humidity constant. So I was told anyway. ;)

The only possible danger I could see from cutting a cigar and then putting it back in your humidor is if you cut too much of the cap off, exposing the top of the wrapper leaf. At that point, excessive handling and moving around inside the humidor could eventually cause a problem.

I see, very interesting. So what you guys are telling me is that not only does cutting not worsen a cigar over time, it might actually improve it if properly stored? Thank you for responses, everybody.

@grateful1 : I've read this recommendation on a few sites online, including cigars.about.com, which says, "A cigar should not be cut until you are ready to smoke." But I'm very skeptical of unproven/unexplained statements like this, especially online, that's why I'm posting here. And I'm glad I did.

Improve may be not be the best term. Age more quickly, yea...but highly unlikely or at a noticable rate.

As for the about.com quote...respond to them and ask them why! ;)

...what happens to a cigar if you cut it but don't smoke it right away?
You have one less step to perform before smoking it! :laugh:

The guys explained it perfectly here...no big deal as long as you keep it fresh.

Once you smoke it, let us know your thoughts.

I thought that if you cut the cap and left the cello on, it has sort of a "band aid" effect, allowing the cap to seal back over and keep the flavors and the oils intact. that is typically how I store my cigars.