• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Keeping cigars dry for long periods of time...

coopsdeloops

I'm sitting outside on the deck of my hotel room in Bangkok having my birthday breakfast cigar, and I'm realizing that

1. The humidity is regularly higher than 70 percent.
2. My lovely cigar which was probably fine in Arizona is now completely saturated and the draw is hard.

Am I going to regularly have to dry box my cigars a day or two before consummation? This would just be inconvenience but doable. Anyone know other techniques to keep them drier than the external humidity?

Thanks guys.

coopsdeloops said:
I'm sitting outside on the deck of my hotel room in Bangkok having my birthday breakfast cigar, and I'm realizing that

1. The humidity is regularly higher than 70 percent.
2. My lovely cigar which was probably fine in Arizona is now completely saturated and the draw is hard.

Am I going to regularly have to dry box my cigars a day or two before consummation? This would just be inconvenience but doable. Anyone know other techniques to keep them drier than the external humidity?

Thanks guys.
Dry boxing won't really work unless the ambient Rh% is lower than your Humidor. If you have A/C going your Rh% should be lower, but will fluctuate. A better option might be getting some 60% RH beads and a small desk top or tupperdor and letting them "dry box" in there.

Blower dryer on low to dry out saturated beads

ETA: If you're on vacation then getting beads probably won't happen? Do you have a refrigerator in your room? If so it can be used to dry your sticks. IF you try it, I would still have the cigar in a humi of some sort since the fridge may cause the wrapper to crack

If your hotel room is air conditioned, that will help dry some of your environment.  Maybe set your hygrometer out on a counter top or table to check your inside RH%

Unscented crystal kitty litter works just as well as beads.  I use it in all of my humidors instead, and its a lot cheaper.  Just put them in a container so they aren't actually in contact with the cigars (same goes for beads, for that matter.)

I have never been to Bangkok, but I assume it is similar to the Philippines in typhoon season. I never went with the beads during my stops in the Philippines, since they were hard to find. Kitty litter on the other hand is easy to find in the mall supermarkets, and should be in Bangkok, too.

I put the kitty litter in a small mesh bag to keep it in place and to reduce any dust it might produce. Heck, with a small bag of kitty litter, it sets you for a long stint of drying in Thailand. Just remember, do not buy the cheap kitty litter, and look for a high quality brand that is unscented. The malls here have some of the same brands as I used in the USA.

I paid less than $5 for a 3-kilo bag of kitty litter, so a very cheap investment for keeping your cigars ready to smoke.