• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Kimichi

Love me some Kimchi... make the rest of my family running gagging to the hills every time I get some but hell what do they know :sign:

Now you have to try Korean BBQ. :)

Can be had as a meal with rice or as a condiment to other foods. Yes go to a Korean BBQ, you'll really like it! I had it for lunch on Saturday, at a little place that has a all you can eat type set-up. They have cucumber served kimichi style that are outstanding.
I'm a sucker for barbecue too, i'll definitely try thr barbecue, thanks! :thumbs:

Thank you all, Korea Garden tonight, still finding new things at my age. :laugh: :thumbs:

I hate kimchi.
It's revolting.
I hate Korean food
for that matter.

Jack

I eat it straight from the jar. Occasionally with rice. Stinks to high heaven for those in close proximity but it tastes fantastic.

x2 on the Korean BBQ as well.

Haha, this thread is hilarious. You guys are killing me. Korean barbeque rocks, especially when you get it cooked with charcoal at the table, if you can find a place that does that.

Haha, this thread is hilarious. You guys are killing me. Korean barbeque rocks, especially when you get it cooked with charcoal at the table, if you can find a place that does that.
You sound like a man that know's his Korean food Jeremy, what do you suggest? I'm a stranger to Korean foods but i'm not scared of something new. :)

Spent 3 months in Korea on a job inspecting the tunnels for their high speed rail system. I never really took to kimchi. Found some that I liked, but mostly didn't care for it. I pretty much liked all the food in Korea though, and we were eating in some backwater places.

I will reiterate kalbi/korean bbq was my favorite meal. Sitting at the communal table on the floor, with some many dishes to try, meat, various veggies, bean paste, garlic clove, all in a leaf...yum! Good thing everyone in the country eats garlic.

Claudio, there are a bunch of places by me. I don't know how good they are. Lawrence Avenue has quite a few as well. I ate at one that was real good, but I forget the name. :)

Spent 3 months in Korea on a job inspecting the tunnels for their high speed rail system. I never really took to kimchi. Found some that I liked, but mostly didn't care for it. I pretty much liked all the food in Korea though, and we were eating in some backwater places.

I will reiterate kalbi/korean bbq was my favorite meal. Sitting at the communal table on the floor, with some many dishes to try, meat, various veggies, bean paste, garlic clove, all in a leaf...yum! Good thing everyone in the country eats garlic.

Claudio, there are a bunch of places by me. I don't know how good they are. Lawrence Avenue has quite a few as well. I ate at one that was real good, but I forget the name. :)
Thanks for the info Brian. :whistling: :laugh: I took the family out to eat at the Korean restaurant in Westmont, Korean Gardens, had the bbq with the kimchi and it was delicious. :) :thumbs:

One of my favorite dish is a Korean seafood soup called Chige. Main ingredients are assorted seafood and kimchi. Does wonders to your sinuses.

A buddy of mine used to eat the stuff right from the jar.

I didn't like it at all, but I love sauerkraut!

go figure.

One of my favorite dish is a Korean seafood soup called Chige. Main ingredients are assorted seafood and kimchi. Does wonders to your sinuses.

Chige lterally means stew and there are tons of stews, not all with Kimchi - but the ultimate in Kimchi is a good Kimchi-chige. Dubu-Chige (tofu stew) also rocks. Kimchi Stew is easy to make at home, if anyone wants to know how. Most of the staples have been mentioned, but I'll add Chapjae (korean stirfried glass (clear) noodles with meat and vegetables).

On another note - Kimchi is pickeled vegetables with gochu-jang (red pepper paste). The most common Kimchi is cabbage Kimchi (Baeju-kimchi) and is such that it is usually refered to as just Kimchi - but there are over 600 different kimchi dishes from the very mild Mul-Kimchi (water kimchi - cabbage and onion with water and light paste - very mild - usually used with children as they learn to eat kimchi but also good for foreigners just beginning to eat Kimchi. My favorites are Cucumber Kimchi and Radish Kimchi (the asian radish is sweet and offsets the spice nicely).

For those that are new and don't know me - I'm a round-eye, but fluent in Korean - lived there 2 years, spent 6 months studing Korean at Yonsei University. With all my other TDYs there, I probably have about 3-4 yrs on the peninsula (college in 96, plus 2 tours in Osan 99-01 plus 41 TDYs there from 01-05).

If ther eis anyone in/near Ft Bragg, NC, there iare a few good Korean places on Yadkin road. My favorite so far is a restaurant called...ready for it...... Yummi Korean Shik-dang. (not a joke and it is yummy)

-K-

Chige lterally means stew and there are tons of stews, not all with Kimchi - but the ultimate in Kimchi is a good Kimchi-chige. Dubu-Chige (tofu stew) also rocks. Kimchi Stew is easy to make at home, if anyone wants to know how. Most of the staples have been mentioned, but I'll add Chapjae (korean stirfried glass (clear) noodles with meat and vegetables).

On another note - Kimchi is pickeled vegetables with gochu-jang (red pepper paste). The most common Kimchi is cabbage Kimchi (Baeju-kimchi) and is such that it is usually refered to as just Kimchi - but there are over 600 different kimchi dishes from the very mild Mul-Kimchi (water kimchi - cabbage and onion with water and light paste - very mild - usually used with children as they learn to eat kimchi but also good for foreigners just beginning to eat Kimchi. My favorites are Cucumber Kimchi and Radish Kimchi (the asian radish is sweet and offsets the spice nicely).

For those that are new and don't know me - I'm a round-eye, but fluent in Korean - lived there 2 years, spent 6 months studing Korean at Yonsei University. With all my other TDYs there, I probably have about 3-4 yrs on the peninsula (college in 96, plus 2 tours in Osan 99-01 plus 41 TDYs there from 01-05).

If ther eis anyone in/near Ft Bragg, NC, there iare a few good Korean places on Yadkin road. My favorite so far is a restaurant called...ready for it...... Yummi Korean Shik-dang. (not a joke and it is yummy)

-K-
Thanks for the info, that's what i was looking for. :thumbs: