• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Kinder, gentler CP?

NullSmurf

Das Bruce
Running through the "View New Posts", I found two threads started by first post newbs. Its quite possible that the question posed will be the only one the guy ever posts on CP. In that case, if we answered his question, we did a good thing. Its equally possible that he'll take the positive response and become a contributor to the community. In both, he was referred to make an intro and in neither was his question answered.

Now, had either used his first post to sell Opus for $50, or posts something like "I'm new and wonder where I can get me some Cubans", he's today's chew toy. Please, buffer your responses to newbs with a little common sense. If you have an answer, help the guy out. THEN suggest an intro.

Running through the "View New Posts", I found two threads started by first post newbs. Its quite possible that the question posed will be the only one the guy ever posts on CP. In that case, if we answered his question, we did a good thing. Its equally possible that he'll take the positive response and become a contributor to the community. In both, he was referred to make an intro and in neither was his question answered.

Now, had either used his first post to sell Opus for $50, or posts something like "I'm new and wonder where I can get me some Cubans", he's today's chew toy. Please, buffer your responses to newbs with a little common sense. If you have an answer, help the guy out. THEN suggest an intro.

Excellent points!

Here are a few others:

cover.jpg

ummmm linky

...and one for the oedipus boys!

Oh yeah, those are some excellent links for the next time the BOSS IS WALKING BY!

Good post Bruce and I completely agree. It doesn't bother me a bit if someone has a question he/she wants answered but doesn't necessary want to become a full time poster and go through the whole introduction thing. Why would someone have to be a recognized, established member to get a simple question answered?

-mark

Bruce - I agree 100%.

Oh yea, I like the other points as well. :sign:

I 1,000% fully agree with you.

This is the thing which bothers me most about cigar boards in general. The pile on of new people with what seems like basic questions to us, but can be quite baffling to the uninitiated. They are invariably told to go post an introduction thread and burn up the search function of all things cigar before coming at the community with a question.

Of the various hobby boards I peruse, I only see this phenomenon on cigar boards. Sometimes I have a question on coffee or home theater boards and I am able to search out my answer in past threads. But, being a simpleton in their hobbies, I sometimes don't know what I'm supposed to search out to answer my own question and end up posting what I consider a dumb--- question. If it's my first post within that board, I'll prefix my question with a cursory introduction, but I really try to limit those. Most boards are vBulletin and I know many people skim over the thread title to see what the beginning text of the first post it - and promptly move on if the initial post starts out boring, regardless of what the thread title suggests the topic/question may be. Never do I see the demand for introductions and searching or becoming active in a community before asking questions like I do on all the cigar boards I am registered on.

I may have one simple question on a home theater board. A simple question, to them. Such as: "What settings are suggested for this television model?" That is likely to be my one and only participation on that board, and their responses will have measurably improved my enjoyment of home cinema. Likewise, I think a number of cigar board "newbies" are likely to be members of other hobby boards and have this one burning question for them and they sought out a cigar board in search of that information. "Can I store my cigars next to each other?" is a big deal to one who knows lots about TV's, but nothing about cigars.

I think of answering the simple questions from the one post wonders as helping the internet hobby board community in whole.

I've gotta go search out watch enthusiast boards now. The other half wants me to gather up "real people" information about a particular model watch.

Well said papa smurf! Sometimes we take ourselves way too seriously. Lighten up, spread some knowledge and help the noobs out. If later on the noob tries to undermine or take advantage of the community, then we drop da boom. :laugh:

Glad I am working from home today Gary! Bruce I totally agree. Why risk runnning new potentially productive members off for posting an innocent question?

I agree with your post, Bruce. I think the fact that the posts your talking about were in a pretty sensitive area of the forum for a lot of folks contributed to the responses. People are a little more paranoid in that section of CP when it comes to newcomers even if they aren't asking source type questions. I'm not saying it's right, but I think that's just the way it is.

If you're talking about some other threads, then I missed them. :)

Good post Bruce and I completely agree. It doesn't bother me a bit if someone has a question he/she wants answered but doesn't necessary want to become a full time poster and go through the whole introduction thing. Why would someone have to be a recognized, established member to get a simple question answered?

-mark

Most of the time the answer can be found by SEARCHING the forum.

At the rate of growth...and with the rate of 'initial post' question increasing...well, you can see that it may get old on the forum after a while(much like my crap).

If you look back at my posts, when it comes to these types initial questions, most of the time I try to supply a linky or helpful comment....not always!

If you fellas who all agreed with the smurfman took the time to read the rules and regs....you'd see that it's requested to SEARCH first! :laugh:

"1.) Before posting a question (especially if it seems that it may be a common question), please use the search feature on the forum. Simply click the Search button, and type in what you're looking for. There's a good chance your question has already been answered."

Anyhoo, this is going to turn into some form of downward Friday spiral....besides, it's just friggin' curtious to say hello to the fisherman before asking him about his favorite hole! ;)

---------------------------------------------------

This is the thing which bothers me most about cigar boards in general. The pile on of new people with what seems like basic questions to us, but can be quite baffling to the uninitiated. They are invariably told to go post an introduction thread and burn up the search function of all things cigar before coming at the community with a question.

Of the various hobby boards I peruse, I only see this phenomenon on cigar boards. Sometimes I have a question on coffee or home theater boards and I am able to search out my answer in past threads. But, being a simpleton in their hobbies, I sometimes don't know what I'm supposed to search out to answer my own question and end up posting what I consider a dumb--- question. If it's my first post within that board, I'll prefix my question with a cursory introduction, but I really try to limit those. Most boards are vBulletin and I know many people skim over the thread title to see what the beginning text of the first post it - and promptly move on if the initial post starts out boring, regardless of what the thread title suggests the topic/question may be. Never do I see the demand for introductions and searching or becoming active in a community before asking questions like I do on all the cigar boards I am registered on.

I may have one simple question on a home theater board. A simple question, to them. Such as: "What settings are suggested for this television model?" That is likely to be my one and only participation on that board, and their responses will have measurably improved my enjoyment of home cinema. Likewise, I think a number of cigar board "newbies" are likely to be members of other hobby boards and have this one burning question for them and they sought out a cigar board in search of that information. "Can I store my cigars next to each other?" is a big deal to one who knows lots about TV's, but nothing about cigars.

I think of answering the simple questions from the one post wonders as helping the internet hobby board community in whole.

I've gotta go search out watch enthusiast boards now. The other half wants me to gather up "real people" information about a particular model watch.

Yes - they are.

Cigar Community?

Bruce I'll take another view on this.

Most users of the internet and special interest forums know the rules of engagement. Typically you search and find the information and if it does not clarify your question you ask the question with references to the research you've done. I'm all for sharing information, but don't expect me to share with you when you haven't had the wherewithal to at least look around.

I agree being nice about telling people to not let the door knob hit you on the way out is the right thing to do! I think there should be a happy medium and sometimes a cold shoulder is warranted. IMHO the price of admission is an understanding of the rules and the people that inhabit this part of the internet. I just felt I needed to add a few caveats, otherwise I agree with Bruce.

Introducing yourself first is common courtesy. So is following the rules. I don't see any need to draw and quarter "1st post questions", but politely pointing out that search is a good thing, and nicely suggesting an introduction is not a bad idea, either.

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

Bruce I'll take another view on this.

Most users of the internet and special interest forums know the rules of engagement. Typically you search and find the information and if it does not clarify your question you ask the question with references to the research you've done. I'm all for sharing information, but don't expect me to share with you when you haven't had the wherewithal to at least look around.

I agree being nice about telling people to not let the door knob hit you on the way out is the right thing to do! I think there should be a happy medium and sometimes a cold shoulder is warranted. IMHO the price of admission is an understanding of the rules and the people that inhabit this part of the internet. I just felt I needed to add a few caveats, otherwise I agree with Bruce.
Bravo. Agreed.

I agree with your post, Bruce. I think the fact that the posts your talking about were in a pretty sensitive area of the forum for a lot of folks contributed to the responses. People are a little more paranoid in that section of CP when it comes to newcomers even if they aren't asking source type questions. I'm not saying it's right, but I think that's just the way it is.

If you're talking about some other threads, then I missed them. :)

In general I think Alan has a point. However, from this guys handle, it sounds like he's from Canada, in which event his question needn't be treated with such sensitivity.

Anthony,

I agree with your caveats.

The problem is that a newbie does not see the rules as clearly as they are meant to be seen. Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no intro guideline sent out in an email, maybe that has changed and if so, my point is moot.
If no introduction email is sent out, then a new member could miss the rules because of the selection of options he confronts when he first enters the site.

I agree with Bruce's post in that it's fine to advise a newb to do the right thing but on occasion, some of us, depending on our mood, can be a little uncivil. Bruce is saying, answer the question and then advise the next move rather than a "who are you" and how dare you come into our house, blah blah blah.

We don't want to lose good folk by alienating them off the bat.

Just my thoughts :D

Brian

Brian,

I think the way people register has changed and it does state to read the rules as part of the process.

I agree with you we shouldn't alienate anyone!

My concern is the rash of questions we get on the validity of cigars. It has gotten to the point that our resident expert has gone on hiatus. It is more like hey I got these and let me know if they are legit. My all time favorites are the humidor and bead questions, but I'm easily amused.

Hope you are enjoying the east coast!

Most of the time the answer can be found by SEARCHING the forum.

I'd agree with you Gary if the new search engine wasn't such a pain in the ass to use. And also it really isn't a big deal if someone asks a question again... because

1) bumping years old threads by asking something in them is Grave digging and everyone hates a grave digger :sign:

2) the new answers to the old question are sometimes completely different and offer a new perspective.

:cool: thread Bruce!

We're talking it out. If everybody agreed, it'd be boring. To Tom, Gary, and Tony, good points. There are plenty of examples of what constitutes the chew toy response - most of em being around topics that have been drilled and redrilled. That's why I'm urging common sense. One size does not fit all.

In my first post to CP I made the typical newbie mistake; I asked about the reputability of a specific off-shore vendor.
I was told in the post and via PM that this was "bad form" and I should modify my post.
I modified my post without much drama and stuck around.

As I have told others, this is a great place to learn about cigars.
This is NOT a market place, we don't care about ebay ratings or your reputation on other boards.

There is no sense dumping on a new guy for making a dumb mistake (we all make them).
Being defensive, antagonistic, and a drama queen are great ways of getting banned quickly.

To all new guys (and gals), sit back and relax. Post, learn about cigars and how things are done here.
This IS a great place to learn about and share fine cigars.