• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Aroma de Cuba Edición Especial

MandyPi

Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off n
I don't think I can write a worthwhile review for you guys, but I will say this: It left A LOT to be desired. Final verdict: I will not try again.

I haven't tried them yet, and am in no hurry to do so.
I don't know who is on Holt's tasting commitee, but our palates are not compatible at all.
I'm trying to be nice......I'm very tempted to rant .

Oh what the hell. ;)

It's almost as if they have Pepin trying to make the cheapest cigars possible, and then use his name to sell them at severely inflated prices/profit margins. I'm not buying them, even to try.

I don't know who is on Holt's tasting commitee, but our palates are not compatible at all.

Oh what the hell. ;)

It's almost as if they have Pepin trying to make the cheapest cigars possible, and then use his name to sell them at severely inflated prices/profit margins. I'm not buying them, even to try.
I'm right there with you, Dan.

I look upon any pronouncement from Holts, JR, 2Guys, etc., with a jaundiced eye. Don Pepin had better be careful about the increasing raft of cigars being hawked on the strength of his name. IMO, it has gone too far...but hey, being a superstar is seductive.

Wilkey

Yes, Pepin should use an alias for that "stuff"; like Richard Bachman :whistling:

Pretty ironic as I just picked up my first of these this evening on a visit to my local B&M. Gotta give it a go this weekend.

I picked one of these (a toro) up the other day, and smoked it last night. It left something to be desired for me as well, but I had planned to buy one more and give it a week or two in the humi before writing it off completely. I may still do so, but at about $6.50 per stick, I doubt very much that it could improve enough to compete with other cigars at that price (Tat Hermosos, RASS, AF Cuban Beli come to mind).

I did enjoy this cigar. I wouldn't grab a box but a fiver would be nice. A lot of pencil lead, woodsy notes and tons of earthiness to it. The construction was flawless with a laser straight burn and perfect draw. No bitterness at all. My only complaint was that Pepin signature spice was not present enough throughout the cigar. I believe I tried the #4(toro)? This is cigar wasn't all that bad.

Oh what the hell. ;)

I totally agree. I have not tried the cigar yet, but the track record with Ashton is not a great one when it comes to Senior Peppin. That siad I will pick one up when I see it, but would not drive an extra block out of my way to do so.

A couple of big turn-offs for me.

1.) Seeing Don Pepin's name on it.

2.) Seeing Jaime Pepin's name on it.

3.) Taking the name "La Aroma" that is Honduran handmade and now move it in Nicaragua. If you ask me, it sounds like they bought the rights to the name of the cigar and made something completely different. Just like the NC, CC counterparts.

Really your review did not surprise me.

I did enjoy this cigar. I wouldn't grab a box but a fiver would be nice. A lot of pencil lead, woodsy notes and tons of earthiness to it. The construction was flawless with a laser straight burn and perfect draw. No bitterness at all. My only complaint was that Pepin signature spice was not present enough throughout the cigar. I believe I tried the #4(toro)? This is cigar wasn't all that bad.

O.K. Joe, I'll give them a try. :D

A couple of big turn-offs for me.

1.) Seeing Don Pepin's name on it.

2.) Seeing Jaime Pepin's name on it.

3.) Taking the name "La Aroma" that is Honduran handmade and now move it in Nicaragua. If you ask me, it sounds like they bought the rights to the name of the cigar and made something completely different. Just like the NC, CC counterparts.

Really your review did not surprise me.

Ashton owns the NC "La Aroma de Cuba" brand, and the Honduran La Aromas are made for Ashton just as the new Nicaraguans are. I don't know who makes them, though. I'm with you guys on Pepin's record with Ashton, though - I'm no San Cristobal fan. Just last night I was thinking about this so I dug up a Guajiro from last fall when I bought a fiver to let them get a little age, and it was ok, but that's all. Oh, well.

Don Pepin had better be careful about the increasing raft of cigars being hawked on the strength of his name. IMO, it has gone too far...but hey, being a superstar is seductive.

Wilkey
....exactly. Seems like every third cigar in the latest Holt's flyer is "made by / rolled by Pepin".

I smoked one on Monday. IMO this is an acceptable cigar. I would not buy a box, but I would buy one if I need a Pepin fix.

As far as Pepin's new blends, we just have to deal with it. Fuente is the same way. IMO most Fuente cigars are pure trash. As far as his lines, decent cigars start's at the Hemi's. At that point, you talking about a $10+ cigar (In California).

Right now Pepin is getting the hype that Fuente has had for years

Just my 2 cents.

I don't think he will get to that point. Pepin makes good cigars, and that is the difference. Tatuaje, DPG, and 601. Three very solid brands. What does Patel have? Hell, I don't know. I only like 2 of his cigars.

Let's hope it doesn't turn into Don Pepin Patel Hansotia.

I like this smoke. It isn't the strongest smoke on the block, but sometimes that's just perfect. It's a good smoke for me in the morning or anytime before lunch. I really enjoy the construction and volumes of smoke. Fun little stick.