• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Aurora Barrel Aged

bluue13

I picked up a 5er of these about half a year ago. I know that there are mixed feelings on these guys and I have to say that when I first got them I tried one and it was actually quite pleasant. It was sweet and flavorful and had a nice oaky/woody finsh that I imagine comes from the aging in barrels.

Fast forward to 6 mos. later. Its been nice out and I've been doing some outside work so I figured Id torch one of them and see if it had gotten any better with time.

This is where the problems started.

The first one I grabbed was well constructed from what I could see, although the foot was a little tight. It had a decent feel and there werent any hard spots. The wrapper was uniform and had a slight oily sheen to it.

It lit well but about 1/3rd in I started getting some tunneling. I tried to correct it but it just wasnt working out and the stick ended up going bitter on me. My humi is kept at 65% so I figured it couldnt be from uneven humidification. I let it go out and then I pulled it apart to inspect. Well much to my dissapointment there were tons of stems and it just seemed like poor bunching. Could this be attributing to the uneven burn?

I grabbed another one and lo and behold I had the same issue!

I gave up and grabbed a padilla series '68 and had a much more pleasant experience.

So I guess my review is: giving up on the La Aurora BA and sticking with better quality!

Anyone else have the same issues?

edited to delete a random sentance that I couldn't figure out what I was trying to say!

I had one given to me a while back. It tunneled bad after the first third. Flavor was not bad up to that point. I spent a lot of time trying to correct it but to no avail.

I'm sorry to hear that. I've got a robusto I'd been saving, but it sounds like I shouldn't get my hopes up too high with those construction issues.

Im guessing these things were not as wildly popular as the hype made them to be. Hence the drastic discount on boxes now. That said I have enjoyed the few I have had but they were when they first came out. Age might have done these bad boys in...

I've got a few of these that have been sitting for about three years now, and I have not had any real major problems with them. For the most part they seem to smoke pretty evenly with no real tunneling issues. This is a cigar that needs to be smoked a tad slower than most, which could explain the uneven burn when smoked too fast.

Yeah, if you smoke them slower you give the plant root more time to ignite? Remember, as long as we smoke them, they will make them.

I had a few and the burn was never a problem. I think it was just a "hype" cigar that was destined to disappear.

My wife got me some of these as a gift a year ago. A 5-pk if I recall correctly. Didn't care for the cigar. Flavor was bitter, burn was off. I was just not impressed in the least. Think I smoke 3 and gave 2 away.