• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Flor Dominica Chisel Maduro

Mark Twain

Call me Ishmael.
I bought a box from Gabriel and couldn’t wait to try them. I’m just beginning the process of discovery with the LFD series. I believe every cigar should stand on its own merit and comparing cigars to one another often takes away the quality of discovery. I know I’ve compared cigars to one another in the past, but this is a habit I’m hopeful I can break.

opus063.jpg

The pre-light presentation is rugged. The wrapper is dark and roughly shaped with an elegant tip that brings to mind the reed tip of a flute. The smell is not strong, but it is dense and leaves the nose filled with deep tobacco.

The cigar light beautifully and the initial wave of smoke was fairly mild for such a rugged cigar. The first sign of strength showed up shortly thereafter. The taste was woody on the tongue with a heavy tobacco flavor that went along nicely with the last of my Glenlivet 12 yo.

opus066.jpg

There were no major burn problems to report and only one minor touch up (user error. . .again) was needed early on. The most interesting thing about the burn pattern of this cigar was just how fast the first inch and a half smoked compared to the rest of the cigar. The burn pacing was a bit erratic and unexpected, but took nothing away from the quality of the smoke.

This was a much longer smoking experience than I expected from a cigar of this size. I clocked in at just under an hour and a half. The cigar is full-bodied, but at no time did the heavy smoke overwhelm me. I’d actually say that the first third of the cigar is medium bodied and only changes over to a full-bodied smoke about half way through. This is a slow and enjoyable change.

I am impressed with this cigar. Price and strength are great selling points, but the most interesting thing I noticed was the burn pattern. If this burn pattern remains consistent throughout the entire box of ten cigar, I might just have to buy ten more

Thanks for the review. I've really became partial to LFDs over the past month.

How did you cut the cap?

Nice review. You just need to put in your contact lenses when taking pics ???

Brian

I also picked up one of these yesterdays and I also didnt have any burning problems. Great smoke and I plan to get more

Nice review. You just need to put in your contact lenses when taking pics unsure.gif

I really need a new camera. This puppies damn near four years old.

How did you cut the cap?

used an xikar and only cut very little from the tip. Draw was fine.

Very nice review, of a great cigar, IMO. Well done, MT! :thumbs:

Nice review! :thumbs: My B&M just got these in last week, and I picked up a couple. Can't wait to fire one up!

So did it knock you out ? I know many a heavy duty smoker unable to finish them.

I've never been knocked out by a cigar, probably haven't smoked enough opus x yet :D

It started off pretty mild too me and only became really strong towards the end.

How did you cut the cap?
When I was down at The Outlaw recently, I had a little discussion about the possibilities of this that you might find interesting. It appears there are a couple of ways that people are cutting these; here are a few.

1) Punch the top of the chisel; this will cause the smoke to hit the top of your palate.
2) Punch both the top and bottom of the chisel, allowing for more airflow.
3) Use a V-cut to notch out a section in the middle of the chisel.
4) Use a guiotine to cut the chisel at an angle, slightly steeper than the angle of the chisel.
5) Who needs a fancy cutter? Just pinch the sides and the end of the chisel will pop open. <- Apparently this is Litto's favorite.

Now you have all kinds of options to test which you like best. The only one I have performed was #4; I hadn't ever thought of the other options. I have a chisel sitting in the humi that I want to try #5 on. I'll let you know how it turns out. :cool:

yes I like this, and i like the chisileto when you dont have all the time for a smoke

Great smoke, gave two, to a non smokin friend, he downed em both plus a fifth of gentleman jack. He blames puking on the cigars..... HAAAAAAA