• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero 452

CRQuarto

Brrraaaiiinnnsss.....
La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero 452
Size: 4" x 52 rg Short Robusto
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sun Grown
Binder: Dominican
Filler: Dominican
Strength: Full

I recently was over in the Fullerton area to have lunch and a smoke with a co-worker of mine, and while out getting sushi he wanted me to come check out a new little B&M that had opened near him recently. Obviously I had no problem with that, so in no time at all I found myself standing in front of a smoke shop; the kind that when you first look at the name, you immediately think, "head shop". I of course immediately had reservations, as I could see the shelves of glass inside, but I figured I would give my friend the benefit of doubt. Once we stepped inside I was actually rather impressed, as the owner clearly is a cigar smoker due to the small, but very clean and presentable walk in humidor to the rear of the shop. The selection was actually very good considering the size, and the prices were also very good despite it being California. While there I picked up an Alec Bradley Tempus and a couple of these little LFD's, one which I gave to Jon.

Pre-Light

Hugged by an oily Ecuadorian Sun Grown wrapper that is a dark chocolate brown in color, this little smoke is threatening just in appearance. The construction is outstanding, with a nicely done cap that matches the well bunched foot, leading to an all around excellent presentation when coupled with the new style band. The weight in the hand is hefty for the cigar's size, again lending itself to the overall impression that the cigar is going to be a solid, stout little smoke, pun intended of course.

Draw & Burn

Once punched, I found a perfect cold draw that, upon lighting, stayed perfect throughout, and the burn, while starting off a bit crooked, soon straightened out to a good razor sharp burn all the way to the nub. The ash was a dark gray color, with banding throughout and held strong until let go every inch or so.

Flavor Profile

The cold draw contained only the slightest hint of good, strong tobacco, leaving a light sweetness on the lips, and once lit I was immediately smacked upside the head with a blast of strong black pepper. For a good quarter inch, this was all I could taste, leaving me a bit woozy, until finally the pepper subsided to a manageable level. I began picking up tastes of leather, woodiness, and a good rich tobacco, all mixing together to culminate in a mile long finish. There wasn't much change in tastes through the duration of the smoke, nor was there much complexity.

Overall Impression

While I do enjoy a good, complex smoke, for some reason despite the simplicity of this cigar it very much hit the spot. Perhaps it was the fact that I was smoking it while doing chores outside, and could just enjoy it for what it was without having to work to pick up tastes. Whatever the reason, this was an outstanding, solid performer that smokes great out of the box, and I can imagine will only get better with age as the stronger ligero tobaccos meld and become a little more tame. The smaller size is also a plus, keeping the total smoking time to just a little over an hour for me.

DSC_2922.jpg

DSC_2925.jpg

DSC_2927.jpg

DSC_2926.jpg

I recently was over in the Fullerton area to have lunch and a smoke with a co-worker of mine, and while out getting sushi he wanted me to come check out a new little B&M that had opened near him recently.
Yeah, you mentioned before that there wasn't a shop local to you that carried LFD (or did you just mean the Chisel?), glad you stumbled in to one. I was curious to see what you thought.

I actually just went out exploring yesterday actually and had a similar experience. Saw a local shop that I've passed by a million times but have always dismissed. With "Cigars!" in neon and only hookah pipes and "tobacco water pipes" in the window, I pretty much dismissed it as a head shop. But there was a great little walk-in humidor with a really nice selection. I was really surprised. We need some kind of Google Map mashup for cigar B&Ms. For crying out loud, there's the Great LA Cupcake Map, why can't there be a good one for cigars? I think it would certainly be in the cigar retailers best interest to get together and make something like that so it's easier for us to find what we want. Otherwise, online is just going to be easier all the time.

Whatever the reason, this was an outstanding, solid performer that smokes great out of the box, and I can imagine will only get better with age as the stronger ligero tobaccos meld and become a little more tame.
Nice. I don't think I'll ever find out if these "get better with age", myself. :)

I recently was over in the Fullerton area to have lunch and a smoke with a co-worker of mine, and while out getting sushi he wanted me to come check out a new little B&M that had opened near him recently.
Yeah, you mentioned before that there wasn't a shop local to you that carried LFD (or did you just mean the Chisel?), glad you stumbled in to one. I was curious to see what you thought.

I actually just went out exploring yesterday actually and had a similar experience. Saw a local shop that I've passed by a million times but have always dismissed. With "Cigars!" in neon and only hookah pipes and "tobacco water pipes" in the window, I pretty much dismissed it as a head shop. But there was a great little walk-in humidor with a really nice selection. I was really surprised. We need some kind of Google Map mashup for cigar B&Ms. For crying out loud, there's the Great LA Cupcake Map, why can't there be a good one for cigars? I think it would certainly be in the cigar retailers best interest to get together and make something like that so it's easier for us to find what we want. Otherwise, online is just going to be easier all the time.

Whatever the reason, this was an outstanding, solid performer that smokes great out of the box, and I can imagine will only get better with age as the stronger ligero tobaccos meld and become a little more tame.
Nice. I don't think I'll ever find out if these "get better with age", myself. :)

Well, I live in Cypress, so Fullerton is a bit of a drive for me just to get a couple of Chisels. I do have a shop locally that carries LFD cigars, but never the Chisel; he mainly carries the Coronado, Factory Press III, and one other one I can't remember. I too was glad to be shown this place, as now I can con my buddy into picking up a few for me every once in a while. :D

As for finding shops, there is something similar to what you are talking about. It is maintained by a member here, and is a pretty neat tool.

Ah, yes. The LFD shotgun shell. It's like LFD's take on the Nub, only with good tobacco and flavor.

I don't think I've seen one of these before, interesting looking little smoke, actually does look like a shotgun shell. I don't smoke a lot of LFD, most just haven't hit my palate all that great, however I do like trying out new smokes and this one sounds pretty good. Thanks for the review Charles, excellent as always!