• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Flor Dominicana - Limitado IV

bully1875

La Flor Dominicana - Limitado IV
Size: 6.5 x 52
Wrapper: Ecuador Sumatra
Binder: Dominican
Filler: Dominican
MSRP: ~ $9
Smoke Time: 1Hr 10 Mins

Last night the NE got hammered yet again with rain off and on. So I tried to take advantage of a break in between rains... Let's just say, it did not work as planned. I was able to smoke the whole cigar, but not without getting a bit wet at the very end. I decided on the La Flor Dominicana Limitado IV and an aged sumatra black coffee. The wrapper is a gorgeous chocolate brown with sents of aged oak and spice at the foot.

gallery_7609_1214_140904.jpg

After a snip of the end with my cutter and a lite up I immediatly noticed a very spicy flavor with hints of barrel aged oak. That flavor was very strong for about the first 1/2". Once that 1/2" point the spice evened out a bit and the cigar really opened up to be much smoother. At this point the main taste here was oak with under tones of nuts - cashews to be exact. It got to the point where the smoke coming from the cigar had the great aroma of barrel aged oak. The draw was great at this point and the burn was very even. Towards the end of the first 1/3 of the cigar I noticed the spice was completly gone and the only flavors were mellow oak and nut.

gallery_7609_1214_27259.jpg

Into the 2/3 of the cigar I was still tasting strictly barrel aged oak and nut flavors with no spice at all. The burn became a bit uneven at this point and the ash was very soft and almost blowing away with the wind. About now I noticed the incredible aroma from the smoke of the cigar again, it was such a plesant barrel aroma and it brought me back to last summer when a group of my friends went wine tasting in the Hamptons and were able to go into the fermenting room with barrels and barrels of wine. That was the same aroma I was getting here. The taste was not far off at all. The flavor stayed very consistant throughout the 2/3 of the smoke with still no sign of the spiciness anywhere.

gallery_7609_1214_9136.jpg

In the final third of the cigar a familiar taste came back, the spice has returned to the mix with the barrel aged oak and nutty undertone. The burn stayed consistant from here on out and there was no relighting involved here at all. Towards the nub of the cigar is when mother nature decided to join me and the rain started to fall. I have a small overhang on my porch which is my only protection at this point, but it's working. The cigar finished out with a bang and reminded me of a story. The three flavor's met in the beginning, one left and the two were together. Then towards the end of the story they all rejoin (sounds corny, but that's the best I can describe it in typical story fashion).

gallery_7609_1214_65825.jpg

Overall, I really enjoyed this cigar. It is very different from a lot of the stuff Litto put's out. The spice profile was undoubtably that of LFD, but I have never expirenced a LFD with such a tremendous aged barrel oak taste to it. I have had a few with an oaky undertone, but not this significant. This cigar really had ISOM familiarity to it and if it were a smaller vitola and unbanded I (being the newb I am) would have mistaken it for an ISOM. I highly recommend trying this cigar for anyone that is looking for a full bodied roller coaster ride. If your a LFD fan, this is an absolute must...

Overall: 8/10

gallery_7609_1214_20541.jpg

(The wind ate up a lot of ash)

I have had and enjoyed all of the previous Limitados, but yet to see this one. I will have to give it a try.

Thanks for the review.

Ken

Nice review and pictures. How do you like that lighter? Been eying one up for a while now.

That sounds like a good smoke. Makes me want to go get one and fire it up!

Very nice, Brian. I've only had a few LFDs, but they have all been nice.

Lee

P.S. Do a reverse rain dance so we can watch the end of the Open!! :laugh:

Nice review and pictures. How do you like that lighter? Been eying one up for a while now.

The lighter is fantastic.. Xikar is a great company.. I had an older Xikar that would not torch it was like a regular butane lighter that would blow out in the wind.. My B&M let me upgrade through him for $10. It is great.

Very nice, Brian. I've only had a few LFDs, but they have all been nice.

Lee

P.S. Do a reverse rain dance so we can watch the end of the Open!! :laugh:

I think it's time to face the facts that the open will be playing next week.