• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Gloria Cubana Serie R

Dr. Marneaus

I drive a station wagon
Well, the other day I went to the B&M, and for some reason I was craving a huge cigar. Asked what their largest stick was, guy told me "this is the biggest cigar we stock" La Gloria Cubana Serie R #7. This monster was 7x58.

My buddy grabbed a Natural, I grabbed a maduro. Got around to smoking them tonight, it was a task to find 3 hours I could devote to smoking...

IMG_8349.jpg

Constriction was beautiful, very dark and oily maduro wrapper, leathery to the feel, I knew this smoke would hold up great for the whole duration. Took my punch to it and brought it outside with a Dr. Pepper. Light it up with my torch and away I went.

Right from the get go it was smooth as can be, but it was heavy! I said the wrapper was leathery, so was the taste. I could really feel some heavy tobacco taste in the back of my mouth. Produced a ton of smoke with a great draw, not too tight, not too loose, just right.

Ash held on for a good inch and a half, till I accidentally knocked it off. The guy at the B&M said the maduro's seem to have some more burn issues than the Naturals, and this was true. It was burning a little uneven, but nothing bad. The taste was consistent through the whole smoke. Heavy and leathery, but it was never overwhelming.

For the record, I have very large hands.
IMG_8351.jpg

IMG_8354.jpg

IMG_8365.jpg

The best thing about this cigar was that it was enjoyable over the whole 2.5 hours I was smoking it. Never once did it get hot, thanks to the massive ring gauge, even when it was down to about an inch and a half in length.

Overall, it was a great smoke. I was intimidated by it when I bought it, but it turned out to be a gentile beast. Normally something like this would kick my ass, but this smoke was great, especially for the price. I'll definitely be trying some more La Gloria Cubana's in the future, and if I ever need a massive cigar, I'll probably revisit this one.

I took a few puffs on the Natural through the night, and it was also great. WAY more mild, almost cinnamon-y and coffee-y, delicious smoke. These cigars were winners in my book.

I'll toss up more pics tomorrow.

I'm out.

Nice review. That thing looks beautiful in the picture. Like you, I've been finding myself craving a "bigger" cigar recently. I may just have to knock off a churchill tonight.

I like the smaller sizes of these. Nice review.

Yep, these are great... LGC are some of my favorite smokes.

I am a mega fan of LGC in general, and the Werie R is the best thing Ernie has come up with since his orginal LGC blend way back when. My favorite is the no. 4 nattie, which when laid down with some age is one of the finest smokes I have ever enjoyed. LGC ages well in general. I am down to my last 2 of a box of 2002 LGC maduro churchills. Last summer I smoked one, and it was something I can't even describe. Knocked the sox off of any $10+ cigar I've ever smoked. And then I've got a Serie R no. 7 nattie, that I will smoke when it's 22 years old. Why 22 years? My grandfather gave it to me on my birthday, and we talked about him living to be 100. A few days later he had an unexpected heart attack and died. He was 78. Funny thing is, if you knew the man, the cigar would actually look normal in his hands, he was a giant of sorts :rolleyes:

I enjoy the LGC Serie R # 5 on the golf course. I prefer the maddies over the naturals.

Compensating for something, young fella?

Doc.

These are good smokes, but I prefer the smaller ones in the natural wrapper. Haven't had one in a while, this would be a good box to pick up. :) Nice review.

I love these cigars, aside from a slight burn issue with the bigger vitola the "R" series are a real head banger. :thumbs: '

Great review!

I enjoyed one of these beasts last week in the maduro wrapper and it was unbelievable. Although, I did have a ton of burn problems. It was the last #7 Maddy in the shop so maybe it was the worst of the bunch who knows. In any case the thing tasted so good I'd definitely give it another shot. Hopefully sooner than later.

-Pat

Great choice of a smoke I always keep a few in my humidor. They taste great and burn well.

Great choice of a smoke I always keep a few in my humidor. They taste great and burn well.

Yeah I like these too.....hey wait a minute, smoked one with you last week........ but a no.6 I believe....

LGC cigars are great in general, especially in the price range. I have a box of Corona Gorda and Wavells in my humi from Dec 02 and every time a grab one to smoke I forget how good they are.

Dave

My sweetie likes most of my cigars, so I get to smoke in the house. I love the all day suckers! Yes, maduro over natural.

Man the reviving of this thread makes me want to revisit the cigar! Maybe I'll get one tonight.