• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lagavulin 16 Islay Single Malt

scthornton

I am a short time scotch drinker, mostly within the last year. I have really been enjoying the Macallan 12, 15, 18, Dalmore 12 etc. I haven't branched out a whole lot, just enjoying these. Recently I decided to try something new, an Islay scotch. After reading what seemed like no bad reviews of the Lagavulin 16, I decided to give it a try.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an entirely different scotch than a Highland. My question is, to the pros like Ray, will I ever enjoy something like this? Is the Islay an acquired taste or should I assume since I didn't like this one, I'm not an Islay person? Vague question I know, just curious as to what you guys think. My impressions were the Islay had a hint of scotch with the main takeaway being liquid smoke. I'm not sure I know what peaty is, seemed to be a common description, but I thought this was a smoky scotch...

Anyway, any input would be appreciated.

For most people the Islays are an acquired taste. you might want to try a Bowmore or a Bunnahabhain as a slower introduction to the Islays as they are certainly more laid back then the Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Caol Ila, et al.

I was turned onto that dram by one of my buddies from England. I poured a size 18 ring finger and took a sip. Speaking of rings, I was ready to ring my buddies neck!!! I though I was drinking paint thinner. So I finished the glass and instantly poured another, yes I've been told I'm a glutten for punishement. I figured he's a good friend and he wouldn't have told me to buy it if he didn't think I'd like it..so if as first you don't succeed.. try again.

Needless to say I really didn't like it until I was about halfway through the bottle, now I actually love it and always keep a bottle in stock. If you don't follow AVB's advise with a less peaty version, I'd suggest drinking a little each night like I did and see if you can get your pallet to adjust a bit. It took me about 4-5 nights if I remember correctly to really begin to appreciate it. Overall it's a rather smooth scotch... hope you learn to enjoy it like I have.

I did not like this at all either but I only had a sip of it at a company christmas party. From what I remember it had a very medicinal/iodine taste that I could not get over. I may give it or a Bowmore a try again in the future as my cigar tastes have expanded so I'm sure my scotch tastes will as well.

To me the Islay's were love at first taste. The first scotch I ever had was 18 year old Glenlivet. Soon after I was on a business trip to Atlanta and I stayed at the Wyndam downtown, that on like the 72nd floor had a revolving bar at the top of the hotel. Well every evening I made way up there for a nightcap and they had a good selection of single malt, but it was the 16 year Lagavulin I kept coming back to. I just love the way the smoky peat stays on your palet. These days I rarely stray from Laphroig or Lagavulin, however I do like a shot of Booker's Bourbon occasionaly, particularly after a hearty steak dinner.

Definitely NOT love at first taste for me. My brother bought me a bottle of Laphroaig 10 CS for my birthday one year. That stuff nearly messed me up for Islays (I remember the first sip well. I poured a dram for the guests at my party. We toasted. We drank. Then we cursed and spat it out after trying it). Then, I began to not hate it so much after a few weeks of trying it. Then I got a sip of Laphroaig 30 and that did it! Now I love Islay malts including the Laphroaig 10 CS, but I don't usually go back to that bottle. I think it got inside my head...

It took me a few years to work up to Laphroaig in the 70's but I'm glad I kept at it!

It took me quite a while to take to the Islays. I didn't care for the 1st several glasses of Lagavulin I sampled, but I kept trying because I wanted to see if I could taste what most people saw that makes it so special. After about the 8-9th glass over maybe a 8-9 month period I could finally see why this is so popular. The peat and smoke were so overpowering at 1st I could begin to taste the sherry influence. Finally one day I ordered a Lagavulin 16 and Laphroaig 15 at the same time.

While not an Islay, Highland Park 18 is a wonderful example of what a lightly peated scotch can be and without a doubt played a part in my learning to enjoy Lagavulin, Laphroaig and other Islays.

The Laphoig 10 year CS is some pretty stout stuff! I actually prefer the 10 year Laphoig to the 15 year. The one I had trouble with was Ardberg, that takes a seasoned single malt palet. I had a couple bottles of the 10 year Laphroig before I ever tasted Lagavulin, once I tasted it I knew I found my go to. I have tried plenty of single malts, but I have not found one (for me) that was superior to Lagavulin 16 year. The ones I have tried with more age tend to be too mellow for my tastes. At $65 a bottle Lagavulin is not cheap, but I have found I can spend a whole lot more for something that does not satisfy my tastes like good old Lagavulin!

I've owned three bottles of single malt scotch in my life. The first one obtained, about 8 years ago, was a bottle of Laphroaig 10yo that was given to me as a gift, and that I thought was just horrible. I wasn't much of a scotch drinker before that but couldn't believe how wretched that stuff tasted to me. I did manage to choke down the whole bottle over the course of a couple of years but never got any enjoyment out of it. It tasted like salty antiseptic with polluted boat harbor overtones. I never could understand why that bottle is so popular. Is it at all possible I got a bad bottle or something? Does that even happen? Or maybe my palate just wasn't ready for a drink of that style.

I next acquired a bottle of Oban 14yo that I thought was pretty darn nice. Definitely easier to take and smoother than the Laphroaig.

And just a couple of weeks ago I bought a bottle of Lagavulin 16yo and think that stuff is amazing! I love it. I find it to be an amazingly complex and flavorful scotch. I agree that that it has a very smoky flavor and, to me, it doesn't have that medicinal/salt marsh/boat harbor taste (which I assume is the peatiness) that so dominated the Laphroaig.

Despite my horrible start with the Laphroaig 10yo I am interested to try the Laphroaig 30yo but that's mostly from reading a description of it one of the John Rain novels by Barry Eisler. Sounds like gooooood chit!

I don't know about what Mr. Eisler says but you can read my review here.

I've owned three bottles of single malt scotch in my life. The first one obtained, about 8 years ago, was a bottle of Laphroaig 10yo that was given to me as a gift, and that I thought was just horrible. I wasn't much of a scotch drinker before that but couldn't believe how wretched that stuff tasted to me. I did manage to choke down the whole bottle over the course of a couple of years but never got any enjoyment out of it. It tasted like salty antiseptic with polluted boat harbor overtones. I never could understand why that bottle is so popular. Is it at all possible I got a bad bottle or something? Does that even happen? Or maybe my palate just wasn't ready for a drink of that style.

I next acquired a bottle of Oban 14yo that I thought was pretty darn nice. Definitely easier to take and smoother than the Laphroaig.

And just a couple of weeks ago I bought a bottle of Lagavulin 16yo and think that stuff is amazing! I love it. I find it to be an amazingly complex and flavorful scotch. I agree that that it has a very smoky flavor and, to me, it doesn't have that medicinal/salt marsh/boat harbor taste (which I assume is the peatiness) that so dominated the Laphroaig.

Despite my horrible start with the Laphroaig 10yo I am interested to try the Laphroaig 30yo but that's mostly from reading a description of it one of the John Rain novels by Barry Eisler. Sounds like gooooood chit!

If you now like the Lagavulin 16, I think it's unlikely that Laphroaig 10 will kick your ass the way it did 8 years ago. Before ponying up for the 30, were I you, I would spend $40 to give the 10 another try, but then it is one of my favorites, and a great value.

Long live peaty scotch. Lagavulin and and Laphraoig are two favorites. Nothing beats a good peat :)

I do love all scotch, but the Islay and lowlands are the most flavorful to me.

I don't know about what Mr. Eisler says but you can read my review here.

Oh, I've been reading your reviews a lot of late. What a wealth of information! Thank you for making that available to us.

And, Mr. Eisler obviously feels the same as you do about the Laphroaig 30yo. :)

If you now like the Lagavulin 16, I think it's unlikely that Laphroaig 10 will kick your ass the way it did 8 years ago. Before ponying up for the 30, were I you, I would spend $40 to give the 10 another try, but then it is one of my favorites, and a great value.

I have considered that and am perfectly willing to try the Laphroaig 10yo again to see if my palate is better able to handle it. Still, I don't get any of that salty/seawater/medicinal flavor in the Lagavulin 16 that I remember from the Laphroaig 10yo. The Lagavulin seems fuller, thicker, richer, and smoother. To me, they seem like very different types of scotch but I know from reading reviews and doing research online that they are considered by many to be of a similar nature and style. That is totally opposite of my experience but I am the newbie with Scotch so I'll take everyone's word for it.