• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lagavulin 16 yo Single Islay Malt

I think one of the best things about it is that it gets better about mid way through the sip and leaves a wonderful aftertaste that get even better as it lingers in your mouth. Definitely one of, if not, the best Scotch.

I was fortunate enough to sample this week and loved it. I haven't gotten warmed up to the Islay Scotches too much but this was wonderful. I could taste the medicinal flavor that have kept most Islays at arm's length but it was merely present and not dominant. Oak and malt mostly is what I got and the aroma was exactly as Ray described, a beautiful assault.

I just picked up a bottle of this to take with me to Hatfield and McCoy next week. This will be the 3rd year my dad, brother, our friend and his dad, and I have went. It's a great time and the trails are awesome. So, I decided I would take a bottle to sip on at night while having a cigar on the porch of the cabin. I've wanted to try this for a while and decided I would go with it for the trip. Looking forward to trying it!

I just picked up a bottle of this to take with me to Hatfield and McCoy next week. This will be the 3rd year my dad, brother, our friend and his dad, and I have went. It's a great time and the trails are awesome. So, I decided I would take a bottle to sip on at night while having a cigar on the porch of the cabin. I've wanted to try this for a while and decided I would go with it for the trip. Looking forward to trying it!

Which trail systems have you done?

Which trail systems have you done?

This will be our 3rd year at Rockhouse. We've been really happy with the trail system there and the cabin rental that we have stayed at. Though not sure what we will do next year. We might try another system.

I still have a place selling it in the upper $50's but I haven't seen it in the $40's for over a decade. You are lucky if you can get it at that price.

It's $70 here and we supposedly have cheap booze.

Doc.

Yeah, the cheapest I've seen in the Houston area is $81. If I ever found it in the $40 range I would probably buy 3-4 bottles. :blush:

$85+ here but damn worth the price, Lagavulin and Laphroaig are my fav's from Islay, they dont get any better than those two.

Well, seeing as this is really my true beginning foray into scotch (first actual bottle purchased instead of just sneaking a sip from someone else), my experience is very limited, but, I am really liking this one so far. I can definitely pick up the medicinal taste, and while it is a *little* unpleasant, the sheer oakiness and smokey flavors just dominate and cancel out that taste to me. Very nice. I like more buttery, toffee/caramel-ish scotches more, but this is nice.

I still have a place selling it in the upper $50's but I haven't seen it in the $40's for over a decade. You are lucky if you can get it at that price.

It was a special at K&L. I bought 3 bottles.

Thanks for the fabulous review of my favorite scotch of them all. 

AVB said:
I have the Distiller's Edition too and at some point I'll review it.

I'm curious if this ever happened, as I've been enjoying your reviews and would like your opinion on this whisky as I have been considering purchasing it for a while now.

Hell, who am I kidding, I'll probably buy it regardless, though anything you'd care to say about it would be of interest.

Never did do a review of the Distillers Edition but you can't go wrong getting one.

The distillers ed is very much alike he original released but shows a more mineral side to its finish IMO.

I much rather like this distillers ed to the talisker dist ed (and you all know how much Im a sucker for talisker). Having tried the two I have to say Lagavulin is hard to unseat as the best of the classic malts series.

What year do you have Ray?