• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Laptop bags?

wanlail

I just recently picked up a 15.4' HP for work so i can do work on the go since I take trips out of town frequently. On my last trip, I ripped my leather bag that i had been using. Any suggestions on some nice bags / backpacks? Pref ones that offer atleast decent protection as I saw my boss' laptop get crushed in the airport. :whistling: Thanks in advance.

I just recently picked up a 15.4' HP for work so i can do work on the go since I take trips out of town frequently. On my last trip, I ripped my leather bag that i had been using. Any suggestions on some nice bags / backpacks? Pref ones that offer atleast decent protection as I saw my boss' laptop get crushed in the airport. :whistling: Thanks in advance.

Tumi cases / Tumi sleeves

http://www.vajacases.com/ has some nice stuff too, pricey though.

HERE's the one I use. Very comfortable to wear and provides great protection IMHO.

I have the Tumi bag in ballistic nylon. It's a great bag and very durable. The laptop compartment is in the middle and it holds the computer off the bottom with some elastic webbing (shock absorption). I used it daily for about 18 months when I was traveling every week for work. It still looks brand new. I've even washed it.

I've stuffed it to the gills, carried it on and even checked it. I've dropped it and yanked it around by just one handle.

It's got lots of pockets and is a good bag to keep you organized. The only downside is "no wheels". I used a combination of the handles, the shoulder strap and a collapsable luggage dolly. If I'm just going back and forth the office, wheels aren't a big deal. If I'm flying, wheels are a must. The dolly/bag combo works great and I still use it whenever I travel for business.

I have been considering a backpack style bag for more casual traveling, but I'd like one with wheels. I'll be watching this thread to see what else you find out...

Zero Haliburton is what I use. A lot more money but it will be the last one you buy. I actually use the 4 inch briefcase they have because I don't always carry the laptop. The laptop case comes with shoulder straps and alot more padding. Like I said it will be the last one you buy. I bought one for my dad, it was the bigger 6 inch briefcase. He was a builder so you can imagine the abuse it took. He bought a new one 15 yrs later, only because it looked so bad from all the scratches and dings.

I just use a North Face Backpack, but it is a company computer POS so whatever happens happens.

-d

I have a couple bags from this company: Saddleback Leather.

bag.jpg

Bag above is my bag. They are pricey but worth the money.

JK

I'm sure you could get this bag to sit on your lap.

andrewdress2.jpg

I recently bought a new case for my 15.4 as well. I actually bought a case capable of holding up to a 17" as I wanted a bigger one to carry books and stuff for class as I travel to Chicago nearly everyday. So far I've loved it

This is the company I bought from: Sumdex

Tumi cases / Tumi sleeves

http://www.vajacases.com/ has some nice stuff too, pricey though.

I use a standard Tumi messenger with a Radtech sleeve. I have a Vaja case for each of my iPods.

I also have a Waterfield Designs Sleevecase with a shoulderstrap and piggyback for when I only need to go out with my laptop.

I've be super happy with all the products I have from each of the companies - one caveat on the Tumi is that I have one of their ballistic nylon and leather bags and the bag made one of my nicer light wool dress pants 'pill' (get those little balls). It does nothing to my denim or khakis. I've had laptops for the last 10 years and have had bags from a lot of different companies - Tumi, Vaja and Waterfield are simply the best I've found.

I guess I should add that I found almost all these companies through O'Grady's Powerpage. They do great reviews that are always Mac-oriented, but for something like a laptop bag, it shouldn't matter too much (unless it's something like a tight fit sleeve).

www.timbuk2.com

Slightly expensive, but they have a life-time warranty, are super well engineered, and have a TON of pockets and features. Plus its a groovy, forward thinking, company.

x2 Freebern! I've had my Targus backpack for 4 years now with no discernable signs of wear on it. It was designed for notebooks, but doesn't look like one.

i used to fly every week, and i bought a kinda cheapo Swengen (maybe the right name, has the swiss cross on it) and it did fine. I would definitely recommend a backpack, shoulder bags are brutal if they're heavy (and you have a bad back), it just depends on how stylish you wanna travel...

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm going to checkout the Targus bags since they are available at the B&M, idk, but I don't like to order things that i can't bangup firsthand.

I got this one, but it was cheaper when I bought it. Traveled to the desert and back and kept my computer nice and safe the whole time. Has a place to put a padlock on it, also. A little big and bulky, but it protects. :)

---John Holmes...