• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Laptop recommendations (now desktop from CC)

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
My Mom's asked me to find her a good deal on a lap top. She basically surfs the net, plays with pictures and such, also is wanting one with a cam. I know there's a lot of computer gurus on here that knows a great deal more than I regarding lap tops. Anyone have recommendations on a really good one and where some good deals can be found? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Greg

Greg --

I'm an advocate for Apple products, and I would encourage you to consider a Macbook. While you can find less expensive products, the reliability of the Macbook, combined with the ease of use, makes it a great option. It offers everything you want and more.

My mother and father both love the Macbook -- and they had never owned a computer until last year.

Right now there are deals to be found on the 2.2Ghz models, and I would encourage you to check them out.

Darryl

if you aren't married to Windows, there are good deals to be had on the Apple page, (refurbished link on the store tab). Inventory changes daily...the iMacs are sweet for a desktop, the Macbooks are a good deal for a laptop. All are priced above your $700 ceiling, but the Macbooks only by a little.

Edits: That's funny.....first two posts are pro-Apple and I posted without seeing the first response.

I've always been a big fan of Dells. I know some have had their problems but that's to be expected when you're talking about the biggest computer company in the land.

I have an Inspiron laptop I like very much but a bit out dated. For about 500-700 you can get for instance a Dell Inspiron 1525 or even a 1420 from dell.com, completely customized.

Speaking from my own experience only, I've seen more problems from HP and Gateway laptops than from Dells.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Of course your other option would be Macbook but you will definitely pay more money... and for a simple machine for your mom I don't know that price is worth it imo. If it's Windows though, I say Dell.

My pick is Dell. For the price range you're looking go for an Inspiron Notebook. Always look for online coupons before buying. Been a Dell customer for many years, and very happy. Now, if we can only convince Apple to license their OS X to Dell. :D

Thanks all for the input! I'd love to pick up a nice Mac. I'll rummage around the sites and see what I can find. Please feel free to post links to those coupons!! :D

Thanks again!

Greg

I'd shoot for Dell... but I'm a windoze guy. Macs are great if yer rents aren't 'locked in' to an operating system..

Greg,

Couple things for you. In my experience there is NO laptop brand that is hands down the best thing out there. What I have found is that there are a bunch of different manufacturers that are all really good. I like the Dell stuff (good support), I like Acer (teenager and Mom hardened), Sony (always a good choice), HP (recently much better), Toshiba (always good).. It seems that with all the competition laptop manufacturers have really uped their game. I really like MAC stuff, but with your price ceiling around the $700 marker I think you'll be hard pressed to find one there. More importantly is that if you do find a machine there is it going to do the job you want without much grief and aggrevation. I mean since its for Mom, the idea is to get something that will stand the 'Mom test' without you having to jump in for a quick fix every minute.

heres a couple things you should be looking for in a laptop if you are going to non MAC route:

1. Processor - try to get something with 1.6Ghz minimum
2. Processor - try to stay away from a Celeron or Sempron if possible. As Mom becomes more familiar with the machine she'll no doubt want more from it and those 2 processor types are for basic use and will probably leave her frustrated at the lack of system response time. Try to look for Core2Duo or maybe Turino 64 x2. Those will work better for her.
3. OS - Since this is a new machine your probably end up with some version of Vista on it. If you dont have Vista you should think about installing it on your machine (so you can help her if needed) or try to find her a machine with XP. She will no doubt be calling and saying :hey Greg...I did this and am on this screen how do I...>>??? Ihave found it alot easier to work with if you both have the same types of OS running. Vista screens are totally different from the same thing in XP.
4. Memory - If you are getting a Vista laptop you will need 1G minimum. And you should seriously think of upgrading to 2G. Vista is a mem ho and will suck on all the mem you can throw on it. Most manufacturers will put 2- 512M mem boards in the machine as stock. Since the machine only has 2 slots for mem you would need to buy 2 - 1G modules. that'll probably cost ya around $100...so if you can find a machine that has 2G in it already thats a good start.
5. Screen size - most common in your price range is 15.4" screen..Since its for Mom..see if you can find her a 17" screen. she'll appreciate it.
6. on board video cam - alot come with that option now..so check it out
7. Hard drive - you should be shooting for 100 - 120G min for this one. With the sales they'll give you a low price, but the HD is only 80G. And if she starts with the pictures she'll need the extra space.
8. software - might want to consider adding MS Office...If she does any letter writing or if you can get her to start working her finances on a spreadsheet she'll use this suite of apps.
9. DVD - most should come standard with dual layer dvd now....

those things come to the top of the list
A couple place you can start to look
www.tigerdirect.com
www.newegg.com

and watch the sunday paper. Alot of places running ad's for new machines lately with some really decent prices.

I dont think you'll have a problem finding her something in you price range. These are by no means a standard, but should give you somewhere to start anyway.

If you have any questions give a yell.

art

**edit spell

Now that's what I call information! Thanks Art! :D She's decided she wants a DEll, so I did a Google on Dell coupons and found some, however they just take me to the Dell site. I'm guessing the coupon code listed will need to be pasted in at some point. She definitely wants a 17", however they start at $799. Adding in components and I got up to over $1200 fast! Whew! I'm still diggin'!

While searching for coupons (sites like couponmountain, etc.) be sure to do a search on Techbargains.com too. You can find great deals through that site.

Search Dell Inspiron... I see some deals there. I'm also seeing this for today, May 2 which gives you $25 off that 17" laptop you're looking for:

Dell Inspiron 1720 17in Notebook - Special Flamingo Pink Configuration $799 Free Shipping, May. 2 7 AM

Dell Home has a special configuration "just in time for Mother's Day" you should consider.

$395 Off: Dell Inspiron 1720 17in Flamingo Pink (or one of 6 other colors) Notebook with Core 2 Duo T5550 @ 1.83GHz, 1440 x 900, 3GB/320GB, DVD Writer, g wireless, webcam, Vista Home Premium, 1 year warranty $799 Free Shipping (Tax in most states)
(Boring Jet Black takes $25 off this price if you prefer = $774)

Greg,

Couple things for you. In my experience there is NO laptop brand that is hands down the best thing out there. What I have found is that there are a bunch of different manufacturers that are all really good. I like the Dell stuff (good support), I like Acer (teenager and Mom hardened), Sony (always a good choice), HP (recently much better), Toshiba (always good).. It seems that with all the competition laptop manufacturers have really uped their game. I really like MAC stuff, but with your price ceiling around the $700 marker I think you'll be hard pressed to find one there. More importantly is that if you do find a machine there is it going to do the job you want without much grief and aggrevation. I mean since its for Mom, the idea is to get something that will stand the 'Mom test' without you having to jump in for a quick fix every minute.

heres a couple things you should be looking for in a laptop if you are going to non MAC route:

1. Processor - try to get something with 1.6Ghz minimum
2. Processor - try to stay away from a Celeron or Sempron if possible. As Mom becomes more familiar with the machine she'll no doubt want more from it and those 2 processor types are for basic use and will probably leave her frustrated at the lack of system response time. Try to look for Core2Duo or maybe Turino 64 x2. Those will work better for her.
3. OS - Since this is a new machine your probably end up with some version of Vista on it. If you dont have Vista you should think about installing it on your machine (so you can help her if needed) or try to find her a machine with XP. She will no doubt be calling and saying :hey Greg...I did this and am on this screen how do I...>>??? Ihave found it alot easier to work with if you both have the same types of OS running. Vista screens are totally different from the same thing in XP.
4. Memory - If you are getting a Vista laptop you will need 1G minimum. And you should seriously think of upgrading to 2G. Vista is a mem ho and will suck on all the mem you can throw on it. Most manufacturers will put 2- 512M mem boards in the machine as stock. Since the machine only has 2 slots for mem you would need to buy 2 - 1G modules. that'll probably cost ya around $100...so if you can find a machine that has 2G in it already thats a good start.
5. Screen size - most common in your price range is 15.4" screen..Since its for Mom..see if you can find her a 17" screen. she'll appreciate it.
6. on board video cam - alot come with that option now..so check it out
7. Hard drive - you should be shooting for 100 - 120G min for this one. With the sales they'll give you a low price, but the HD is only 80G. And if she starts with the pictures she'll need the extra space.
8. software - might want to consider adding MS Office...If she does any letter writing or if you can get her to start working her finances on a spreadsheet she'll use this suite of apps.
9. DVD - most should come standard with dual layer dvd now....

those things come to the top of the list
A couple place you can start to look
www.tigerdirect.com
www.newegg.com

and watch the sunday paper. Alot of places running ad's for new machines lately with some really decent prices.

I dont think you'll have a problem finding her something in you price range. These are by no means a standard, but should give you somewhere to start anyway.

If you have any questions give a yell.

art

**edit spell

X2, only IMO 2Gb is the absolute minimum for Vista on a laptop. These laptops come out of the box running 70 processes, they will drag on 1Gb.

Keith

If you just click coupons on techbargains.com, scroll down to see Dell Home laptop deals. This one might also be good:

$350 off Any Dell Inspiron Desktop Purchase $999+ Code: KGXH5QNBB2?L9$

For your price range and her needs, I really don't think you can go wrong with a Dell. If you decide to do a Mac, find anyone whose a student and use their student discount. Knocks between $100-200 off the price.

As for the Dell's, every week or so they come out with some pretty sick deals. Is she absolutely married to the idea of a 17"? If not, I think a few days ago there was a 15" with 2 GB of RAM, 1.7ghz core 2 duo for around $499. You really need nothing else. I'd also recommend XP rather than Vista. It's not as bad as everyone says, but it's a pain configuring it for certain things, and frankly I don't think it's user friendly or intuitive at all.

Check www.bensbargains.net and www.dealcatcher.com on a daily basis. The deal's show up there and normally last about a week or so.

Also, that 17" Dell at $799 has basically what you need. Don't really need to add anything to it for her uses...except for maybe a better warranty.

Here's some more food for thought... my nod goes to Lenovo (they're built like tanks, you can always run Mac OS on them; if you want :whistling:

Happy hunting!

Current specials on Thinkpads: Linky

or check out the Lenovo Outlet: Linky

17 Inch laptops are great in the store, but can be kind of tough to live with. Make sure your Mom is comfortable with that size and weight. (all the folks at work that convinced the company they had to have a 17incher are now regretting it..most of them borrow a travel laptop from inventory to take on the road....).

Don't like Dell much, but I have a laptop in the shop the has lasted pretty well. It can be dusty, wet, hot, humid, cold or windy out there and it's still going over 2 years later. If the desktop Dell's in the offices lasted as well and they had descent customer service and supplied a hardcopy of windows with the computer I would buy more. Called the other day with a question and after 10 minutes of automated menus and reaswearing the exact same questions to a live customer service rep, I was then told my 1 year warranty had expired and I would have to be transfered to a pay service if I wanted any answer.

I'll add a second nod for Lenovo and the Thinkpad line. These things are rock solid. My wife and I both have one and mine's lasted through a couple of deployments and many trips. My old PIII based one is still running and my parents use that for email and surfing. Not sure what you can get around the $800 mark, but take a look if you haven't been completely sold on Dells.

IMO, Dells are decent, but they're cheaply made. You get what you pay for. Just get a good replacement/repair policy on it. HP, Gateway, Acer, etc. are even cheaper (both in price and quality). Again, just my opinion, though.

No opinion on Macs... take that plunge on your own. :D

ETA: oh yea, keep an eye on >DealNews.com< for good deals on laptops and other stuff in general.

---John Holmes...