• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lars Tetens?

micker

About a month and a half back I was at a local cigar shop looking for something tasty and inexpensive and stumbled up a close out of 'Lars Tetens' Cigars. I know nothing about these cigars, but they were aged well as I remember seeing them atleast 2 years prior in his humidor, and some of these may have been there that long...

Anyways, they seemed to be in very good shape, and at 3 for $10 I liked the price. Cigars can be very expensive here in Detroit after all. So I dug through this huge stack of Lars Tetens and picked 3 that seemed amusing... I got a Lars Tetens Royal, what I think is a Musashi Crash and a Lars Tetens Milhouse.

I say I think it was a musashi crash because it wasnt labeled and the kid watching the store that day had no clue, so based on the pictures and descriptions on the Lars Tetens website, I am assuming this is a Musashi Crash...

The royal looked quite nice as did the musashi crash. The third one, the Milhouse, well, while it did look good, it also sported an extra wide band with a photo of Richard Nixon wrapping its way across the band. I decided that at about 3 bux a pop, A Richard Nixon cigar would look interesting in my humidor and atleast be a nice conversation piece when I get asked if I have anything interesting ;)

Last nite, after about 6 weeks of sitting in the humidor, I took out the Musashi Crash and lit it up. It was possibly the last nice night of the year and there was no way I would have missed spending an hour on the deck with a nice cigar.

I wasnt sure what to expect as I couldnt find much information about the Lars Tetens brand online, just his personal website. Going by the website, I guess this cat also makes skateboards, leathergoods and chocolates....

Anyways, back to the cigar... It was a nice dark chocolate brown with just a slight amount of an oily finish on the wrapper. Not much oil, just enough to give it a nice sheen under the glare of the porch light.

So, armed with a large mug of black coffee and a copy of Edward Abbey's Desert Solitaire (My current read...) I settled down to business. I believe the the cigar was a robusto, but I am not entirely certain. I cut the cap with a bulls-eye punch and lit it up with my favorite $5 crack torch from 7-11.......

It lit right up and had a wonderful draw, but the first few drags put me off a bit. It had a bit of an herbal/hippy nose to it like those Drew Estes monstrosities, only not as pronounced. It soon faded and after a few minutes had mellowed out into a sweet maduro with a little bit of spice.

The ash on this stick was incredible. It was about a 5 inch cigar and I ashed it twice, once about half-way down and then again when it was down to an inch or so of cigar nubbin left... On the outside it was a slight gray ash, a very light grey in color but the middle of the ash was a brilliant white.

About 2/3rd of the way down it became quite peppery, but it wasnt overpowering. I smoked it right down to the last half inch of cigar. It was one of the better smokes I've had this month, and I'm hoping the Royal will be even better.

I'm going to stop back there friday and see if he has any left... At that price they are worth another smoke... The original prices seemed quite steep though, which may account why they weren't selling...

Anyone know anything about this company? I'd never heard of them before I bought these....

Lars Tetens has been around for some time. Their original cigars were cured with perfumes, herbs, etc. and were what most of us would call "stinky". The price was out of this world high and still is, IMO. If these are your cup of tea, that's cool. But, I think you'll find that a number of aficionados will discount the entire Lars Tetens line as a trend. If you would like something similar but at a lower cost, search out the Drew Estate line. They tend to be less expensive, but still have the same qualities as the Lars Tetens. Do a google search for Lars Tetens and you'll find out what he is really all about.

Matt R said:
Lars Tetens has been around for some time. Their original cigars were cured with perfumes, herbs, etc. and were what most of us would call "stinky". The price was out of this world high and still is, IMO. If these are your cup of tea, that's cool. But, I think you'll find that a number of aficionados will discount the entire Lars Tetens line as a trend. If you would like something similar but at a lower cost, search out the Drew Estate line. They tend to be less expensive, but still have the same qualities as the Lars Tetens. Do a google search for Lars Tetens and you'll find out what he is really all about.
Other than the very first few drags, this really wasnt a stinky cigar... I've smoked Drew Estate and found them awful.

Right after lighting the one I had, there was a smell like incense, but was gone within a few drags....

Not the best cigar I've ever smoked, but one of the better ones this month (which isnt saying much... been working through a thompson sampler this month....)

Thanks for the info though... going to hit up google again....

Never tried the Tetans - and for Drew Estate - the Natural line has some good sticks most of the Acids taste like the name.

Cigars can be very expensive here in Detroit after all.

Where you shopping at? Have you tried Churchills in Bloomfield (15 and Old Woodward). Also, one of our own forumites (smokersonly) has his own shop and tends to hook up CPers with good deals. PM him for instructions to his shop.

Also, you may want to intro yourself in the lobby.

micker said:
Other than the very first few drags, this really wasnt a stinky cigar... I've smoked Drew Estate and found them awful.
I know nothing about these cigars, but they were aged well as I remember seeing them atleast 2 years prior in his humidor, and some of these may have been there that long...

The LT's your talking about are as "stinky" if not more than even Drew Estates. Although you answered to "why?" you didn't experience that, in your original post. They had been sitting around for a couple years. These "cured/perfumed" cigars loose their herbal hippy scent after awhile. You're story is a very common one with Lars Tetens. Tobacconists sitting on these "new age" hippy sticks for months/years on end...due to high price and not much fan fair. After awhile they just discount them to cheap and take a lose just to get the crap outta there humidors. If you enjoy these discounted ones....that's just fine, but don't waste the money on a full price fresh batch....becasue they are just as repugnant as Drew Estate Acids. FYI. ;)

Deja vue.....

Yeah, one Lars was enough to convince me to stay away.......

To each his own, but there are just too many other great cigars out there I'd rather spend that kind of money on!

Cheers :D