• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lawn care...fertilizer

DKAudio

This is going to be my 3rd summer as a home owner. First year I did nothing but mow and sometimes water. 2nd year I did Scotts 4 step plan and water. It worked out pretty well but Scotts is pricey. I was wondering if there is another brand that is cheaper and works just as well.

For those who don't know, this is Scotts 4 steps...
Scotts® Lawn Pro® Step™ 1 Crabgrass Preventer Plus Fertilizer
Scotts® Lawn Pro® Step™ 2 Weed Control Plus Fertilizer
Scotts® Lawn Pro® Step™ 3 Insect Control With Fertilizer
Scotts® Lawn Pro® Step™ 4 Lawn Fertilizer

Also, is airation needed and is so, how often? I did it my first year in the fall. My wifes parents borrowed an attachment for their rider from a friend. I trailered the whole thing over to my house. Unfortunately, that was a 1 time opurtunaty.

How often and how long is water recommended?

Any other tips would be great.

Thanks

Dan

Aerating the soil is a good thing. Plug aerator is the best.

You should try to water about once a week, and whatever amount of inches is recommended in your area.
The idea is to get the watet to seep deep into the ground. The root system will grow deeper, and the plants will be able to get moisture when thing get dry.
Shallow watering builds shallow roots....bad.

Depending on your grass type, you may not have to get too energetic with a weed killer. A creeping grass, when watered and cut properly, will choke out most of the weeds.

Cutting the grass properly is one of the best things to get your lawn looking great. Try to never cut more than one third of the plant height. Find the recommended height for your type grass.

Get a soil analysis done, that is the only way to properly fertilize. Not having this done probably won't do damage (it can with a grass like centipede) But the benefits are remarkable.

As above.

In addition:

Check your county cooperative extension's web site for recommendations specific to your area for watering. Also, if you go to the Scotts website, enter your e-mail address, zip code, and grass type; they will send you an e-mail several times throughout the year detailing what you should be doing to your lawn at that particular time. I closely follow their recommendations and have good success.

Keep that mower blade sharp.

A less expensive alternative to the Scotts brand is Vigoro. This is sold at Home Depot. I used it for the first couple of years with a new lawn and it worked pretty well. I have since switched to Scotts with what I think is better results.

Good luck.

LedMizer - "Keep that mower blade sharp."

Soooooooo true! If the grass blade is ripped off by an dulled blade, the grass ends will turn yellow.

Lesco is another brand that I have used in the past with great success. They are used mostly on golf courses, but I was able to find their product in Home Depot when I lived in the Boston area. Here is a map detailing where you can find their products.

For me, keeping a good looking lawn is due to the following:
1. Spring - Lay down a pre-emergent + fertilizer. The pre-emergent will keep a lot of my dread mortal enemy (crab grass) in check, and the fert will green up your lawn. Unless you live in the very northern part of the country, it is likely too late for the pre-emergent to help you, so just buy a fertilizer only. Don't waste your $ on the "combo" stuff.
2. Summer - Watering is important, especially when it's not raining at least 2 times a week. Give the lawn a good soaking every couple of days. Mower height - the higher the better when it is dry and hot. Fertilize only when a) you know it will be raining, or b) when you can water.
3. Fall - Aerate now. Also, over seed. Grab a bag of your fav grass seed, and spread the love around. You might need to water until it germinates, but like Alton Brown says - you will be rewarded.

:rolleyes:

Wow this has helped me as well. I live in Upstate SC with Bermuda Grass. I did the online thing and they set you up with your different steps. I am good to go now. Thanks guys.

Thanks for the tips...

Where can I get my soil tested?

You should aerate every year in the fall? How do people do this since it is not common household equipment.

I live in Bloomington, MN 55420. I think I mostly have Kentucky Blue Grass but am not positive.

With what you described, you are on the right track. Aerators can usually be rented at the local hardware store by the hour. The best time to do it is in the fall. Most people will get together with someone in the neighborhood and rent it together since the time minimum is usually long enough to do 2+ yards. Concerning the fertilization and seeding questions you have, PM me and I can ask some specific questions concerning your soil and sun/shade situation. Finally, I for one refrain from watering an established yard. The green look desired can be accomplished using several other tricks that are simple enough with cool season grasses. The biggest concern all of us should have is a grub infestation. This little creature can sabotage all of your hard work in a month or less.