• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lebron vs Cavs last night

Sweetrice80

Deaf Mofo
Not sure how many of you actually follow the NBA, but I have never watched the NBA until Lebron came around. Him being about 20 mins from my home town in Akron, I decided to start following him and watching him. So even with him leaving the Cavs I still followed Lebron. (Don't agree with "The Decision" being nationally televised). But If any of you watched the game last night, I must ask did any of you hear the "Scottie Pippen" chants towards Lebron??? WTF, Lebron would be lucky to be the kind of player Pippen was and is. Pippen is a Hall of Famer, top 50 best players of all time, 6 championship rings (MJ never won one till Scottie came), the chant seem like a complement to me.

So things brings up an interesting question, is Lebron leaving the Cavs the most devastating leave to a team, across all sports, of all time?

Chim in below, I am interested to seeing what some of the older (wiser
biggrin.gif
) folks have to say about this.

David

I'm willing to admit that I'm petty and spiteful enough when it comes to sports grudges that I was disappointed with every aspect of Cleveland's performance last night--the fans, the players, Gilbert, everyone. I wanted the spurned masses to get their pound of flesh in the most base way possible.

I wasn't hoping for a sniper to kill him from the rafters or anything, but I think on some level I'd have been fine with anything short of a permanent or career-ending injury being visited upon him. I know that probably makes me sound like some kind of crazy person or horrible asshole, but I thought this whole situation was far more devastating, inexcusable, and truly important (well, as important as anything related to playing games for a living can be...) than 95% of all other sports soap opera drama we're force fed. I don't begrudge LeBron for leaving, but the way he held Cleveland and the Cavaliers hostage like a spoiled baby for a long time prior to this summer, The Decision, his stubborn defense of it all (racism? Really???), and just his completely ignorant lack of self-awareness all really piss me off. It's not his fault that he's so vainly oblivious, but it still doesn't seem like he really understands the scope of what he did and how he did it.

I can't believe that nobody gave LeBron a hard foul into the stands--they'd never have to buy a meal or a drink in Cleveland again. I have to imagine that David Stern probably told the Cavaliers beforehand that anyone who did this would be fed to rats at center court during halftime of the All-Star game this year or something. Still, I'm kind of surprised that someone didn't do it anyway.

Like I said, I was disappointed in every aspect of last night. No middle finger from Gilbert, no paper cups full of urine thrown, no more clearly audible profanity than any other NBA broadcast, no particularly clever invective from the crowd (totally agree with the baffling nature of the "Scottie Pippen" chant--I get what they were trying to say, but I think I could probably come up with at least a thousand better chants by the end of the weekend, if not the end of the afternoon), no unified, rudely cold shoulder from the current Cavaliers (and don't give me that whole "modern bro culture of the NBA" crap, Reggie--this should have been a very clear exception), no hard/malicious fouls, no rioting/violence/unrest/chaos in the crowd, etc.

Sounds like it was all blow out of proportion in the end. From the early reports the police were supposed to be doing more searches than the TSA.

I didn't really care for the way LeBron seemed to meander over to the Cav's bench and laugh and joke with them during Free throws and the like.

Im not exactly the older wiser group you were referring to but YES INDEED the Scottie Pippen chant was completely stupid. LeBron's decision on tv was just about as stupid, if not more rediculous than that chant was though. I have to say as a basketball team owner in the NBA you cant say Ive added talent like Shaq to help LeBron win a championship and say it with a straight face. The cavs couldnt afford to help him out and couldnt afford for him to leave. Somebody had to pull the plug and James did. LeBron was going to be public enemy number one anyway, atleast he got it out of the way.
I Dont care much about the NBA but I love NCAA basketball. Either way I figured I'd put in my two cents.
P.S. Go Heels!!!

I think Jordan put it best:

""There's no way, with hindsight, I would've ever called up Larry, called up Magic and said, 'Hey, look, let's get together and play on one team,'" Jordan said. “Things are different. I can't say that's a bad thing. It's an opportunity these kids have today. In all honesty, I was trying to beat those guys. Jordan led the Chicago Bulls to six titles. And while he had Scottie Pippen, there is little question the Bulls were Jordan's team. Jordan said he had more interest in playing against the game’s best players, rather than with them."

The fact that so many players are playing for money in their early years and then seem to think they are entitled to play for a championship in their later years is one of the myriad of reasons why I haven't watched an NBA game in over 10 years. As to last night's game, it's just another chapter in a long and sad book of Cleveland sports tragedies.

I was hoping someone was proud enough for Cleveland to throw their soda, beer, or what have you, at Lebron's face when he threw the powder in the air. I was extremely upset when the owner didn't give no gesture, profanity laced tirade...

Now had this been Dallas, Mark Cuban would've done the city proud :laugh:

It ain't like the good old days. I remember being at Yankee stadium as a kid in the 80's and watching the fans tossing D batteries at opposing outfielders. Granted Yankees fans are dirty theathens but that would've put Lebron in his place quickly. Not to mention it would've made great television.

I think James is this generations Wilt Chamberlain. Hell of an individual player, but won't win squat. Just look at what the Old big three have done to the young big three this year. 2 losses. One at home one away. When they meet in the Eastern Conference finals it'll be the same as last year.

Doc.

The most devastating player to leave a team might be Babe Ruth . . . but that was a trade, because free agency didn't exist back then. That 1-hour special was certainly ridiculous, but not nearly as insane and insulting as this 3 year Favre saga has been.

As for last night's game. It was just more proof that Cleveland was always nothing w/out James. Their front office never did what it needed to do to build a team that could win championships. They never went and got him a legitimate #2 on the team, and never really had any consistent role players. West was not a true #2, and was horribly inconsistent. Jamison was past his prime as well.

Lakers had Kobe/Shaq, and guys who excelled as role players.

Bulls had Jordan/Pippen, and guys who excelled as role players.

Celtics have their "old three" and guys who excelled as role players.

Same story holds true for Bird and his Celtics, and Magic and his Lakers.

Basketball has always been a team sport. None of the game's other greats ever won by themselves, and James was no different. James' 38 points that he got with ease against the Cavs just shows how bad they would have been for 7 years had he not been there. They had the time and money to build a contender, they just have a stupid owner . . . who continues to prove why he owns a sports team in Cleveland, and not a major market.

I watched the game and couldn't help but think"old school". Where is the team pride? To see the "King" disrespect the Clevland fans with his tired puff of smoke routine reminded me of the time T.O.stood on the Dallas logo on the 50 yd line and got his clock cleaned before the fun actually started. I would at least expected a hard foul to send the message. My heart goes out to the Cleveland fans and Shame On You Cavs,for for allowing the B*** slapping Lebron provided.

I am having a hard time telling what exactly Cavs fans have to be so upset about anyway. James seems to me to be a great player and a stats machine who has absolutely no idea how to win anything important. He's the ultimate self centered poor team player, he dominates the attention, then blames someone else and quits when important games need to be won. I'm not big on basketball, but when I am paying attention I have always been a Knick fan, being from NY and remembering the 80's/90's knicks rough D games.
After seeing Lebron pull a disappearing act in more than one playoff game, and seeing a team like the Celtics (a team oriented group who wins games by the concept of team contribution, and the art of actually playing basketball in it's fundamentals - the kind of play the Celts represent best these days) beat him, I was at the point of praying he didn't go to the Knicks. He'd dominate that team, the town, and it's roster, and it's payroll right into first round loss after first round loss. So what? It's a horrible thing to watch.
If I am into watching a game on a rare occasion, I like seeing basketball being played. The breakdown of the team game and the selfish modern player is every reason I can't watch this any more. I've played a ton of pickup games in my youth, and every kid out there is like these guys. Every one wants to score, every one never lets go of the ball, and I'm back on D in a 1 on 5 every single play. Not one of them cares about winning or playing the game.
It's a one man narcissism show. I hate James and everything he represents about modern sports. If I was a Cav fan I'd love it that he is gone. I'd be mad at the front office for being so stupid as to not get anything in return for him though. That's where Cav fans need to put their anger.