• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Left Hand Widdershins Barley Wine

Aventinus

Left Hand isn't my favorite Colorado brewery, though I do really enjoy the Milk Stout, so I've always passed on the corked big beers. They're pretty pricey. I'm a mark for Barley Wine so I pulled the trigger on this one. 50% is aged in Oak casks. 2007 Vintage. I had a real tough time with the cork for some reason!

IMG_0527.jpg

Appearance:
Poured a hazy, reddish gold with a couple of fingers of fine bubbled white head. There was a fair amount of carbonation.

Aroma:
The aroma was one of the best parts of this beer. It had a really big, fresh hop aroma with lots of pine and citrus. Also some burnt sugar.

Taste:
I didn't get much oak flavor, but there is a pronounced smokiness that lingers a bit. There is a good amount of hop bitterness with a long hoppy finish. Nice malt backbone with some caramel flavors.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability:
Medium bodied, pretty smooth drinking. The alcohol is well hidden.

Overall:
I'm glad I tried this, but I don't think I'll be rushing out to buy more. You could buy a two bottles of Old Ruffian or Hog Heaven for the price of this. I'm not sure why Left Hand's big beers are so expensive, when other Colorado brewers' can come in at around $7-8.

I'm not sure why Left Hand's big beers are so expensive, when other Colorado brewers' can come in at around $7-8.

Must be the price of the cork! :sign:

Nice review Pete, doesn't sound like it's something I need to hurry and hunt down though.