• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lesson learned........

SKYDIVNEKD

Call me "Walt Kowalski"
Lat night, on the vherf, a certain discussion about parents/grandparents got me to thinking. I was going to share this then, but I held off. I feel it's important enough to share now, though. For those of you out there that have kids, this is a life lesson I learned the hard way.

My dad loved his grandkids more than life itself. He'd spend time with them as much as possible, and they loved him very much for it. They truly enjoyed interacting with him, and just spending time at his house. For years, I thought it would be cool to have him read a few children's books, and record it on a tape recorder. This way, if anything happened to him, his grandkids would always have a recording of his voice, reading to them. In effect, he'd be with them always.

Well, like most things we put off, I put this off thinking he'd be around "tomorrow" and we could do it then. NOPE! He died suddenly, in his sleep. He wasn't sick and nothing was bothering him. Even though he was in his late 70's, he wasn't "supposed to die" for many years to come(to me he's always young). I am thankful that God chose to take him this way, quick and painless(hopefully) and we didn't have to see him suffer for years.

To the point of the story, this is the lesson. My God daughter came up to me at the funeral and said, "...I just wish I could hear his voice one more time. I miss grandpa!" It tore my heart up, knowing if I'd of gotten of my ass, and had him do it, she would have her "one more time" moment. She would of had a life time of "one more time" moments.

I take the blame for this because I never even mentioned the idea to dad. If I had, he may have done it on his own. None-the-less, he didn't and I didn't, and all she's left with is the fond memories of her visits with him.

For your homework, you have this assignment. Get a tape recorder and have your parents and/or grandparents sit down and read as many books as they can, and record them. Store them away, for the day they die. At that point, you can give them to your kids, and they'll have their "one more time" opportunity. It doesn't have to be a book, if they don't read to them. It could be random thoughts, family recipes, funny stories, etc. You get the point.

If you've read to this point, you obviously don't think this is a stupid idea. Now all you have to do is get off your ass and get it done. There is no reason not to.

I love my dad and miss him frequently. It's been three years but it seems like yesterday. I truly am at peace with my decisions and relationship I had with him. I only regret not doing this for his grandkids.

Enjoy your Sunday and thanks for reading. Pics are my God-daughter and I and my dad, from 2016.

Floyd T

PS : For those that have lost them too early, pictures will suffice. You only move forward from here. Adults are adults and we don't haft like their decisions, but we must respect them. After all, they are our parents and grandparents.

IMG_0193.jpgIMG_0199.jpg

Love it Floyd! That is a great idea. Last night got heavy towards the end, not sure if that is what brought this on, but I am glad you to shared this! Sounds like some great memories.

Have a great Sunday!!

Heavy conversation last night. I actually had a hard time falling asleep last night coming off of that conversation. It was a lot to ponder. But, that is what being a friend is- being there for the fun conversations and the ball busting. And also being there for the guys who have those difficult issues that need to talk about them and hopefully find some closure. Last night was an honor to be there and hear those difficult situations that we all have.

That was a heavy conversation last night , If the conversation didn't change when it did, I probably couldn't have handled much more.
My Dad passed suddenly at 46 in 2003 , heart attack complicated by drowning. Instead of going to Doctor he decided to leave for vacation with my stepmom and half siblings.

Come to find out at the viewing from one of the residents of the nursing home he was maintenance at, dad was complaining that he was having trouble breathing. But didn't say anything to any family. Pretty sure he didn't want to "Ruin" vacation.

Great Idea Flyod , my mom has one of her old cellphones with a voice mail from my grandmother, haven't came up with a way to transfer to computer. My mom found these teddy bears that have boxes in you can record on and has a couple Mom and stepdad have recorded on.