• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lessons with Lanceros...

MaxNoodle

I am that which is.
So I ordered a lancero sampler and last night I broke out the LFD that was in it. Man those things have pepper in em!

So looking at its long thin "stick", it was nicely made, tight, good bouquet...

I cut the cap and toasted the foot...it lit up way faster than a robusto thats for sure...and pepper and spice everywhere with a lot of smoke. I did not expect the amount of smoke to come out of such a thin stick!

Anyway, after the first 2 puffs or so, it just went out...is that normal??

So I lit it back up and the pepper/spice calmed down, but was consistent all the way through...about half way, I put down the smoke in an ashtray, to dial a phone number, then I went to take a puff and that quick - it was out again...

So I relit it again - still plumes of smoke - it was kind of a whiteish-brown smoke. The ash could not make it past 3/4"...but when it fell off it left a nice concave red ash burning to my delight!

With about 3" left, it went out again. Now the only thing I noticed while sitting there pondering this enigma was that when I pointed the head down at an angle as if resting in an ashtray smoke streamed out of the head and foot, burning very nicely, BUT when I did the opposite and the head was above the foot, no smoke came out.

Overall it was a very nice smoke, I just couldn't keep it lit.

I'm thinking there is a technique when smoking thinner cigars...

Thoughts? opinions?

Thanks!

~ t

EDIT: See post #9

Consume more olive oil. Try getting a tan and more than one woman to keep it lit.

Doc.

When smoking a Lancero, I tend to smoke them slow. It would be the equivalent of drinking a cup of water, or sipping a glass of scotch (the Lancero being the scotch, any other cigar being the cup of water). Sip, don't swig. Smoke them slow, as they tend to get hot quicker. As for why it continues to go out, I have no idea. I smoked quite a few LFD lanceros, but didn't notice a burn problem. Hope my analysis makes sense.

When smoking a Lancero, I tend to smoke them slow. It would be the equivalent of drinking a cup of water, or sipping a glass of scotch (the Lancero being the scotch, any other cigar being the cup of water). Sip, don't swig. Smoke them slow, as they tend to get hot quicker. As for why it continues to go out, I have no idea. I smoked quite a few LFD lanceros, but didn't notice a burn problem. Hope my analysis makes sense.

May have been the problem, I tended to smoke it faster so it wouldn't go out on me...took about an hour.

Thanks Isy!

~ t

More than likely it was still too wet. Anything that gets shipped to the house spends a minimum of 2 weeks (or more) in the cooler before smoking; then often STILL gets dry boxed.

So I ordered a lancero sampler and last night I broke out the LFD that was in it. Man those things have pepper in em!

I cut the foot and toasted the head...it lit up way faster than a robusto thats for sure...and pepper and spice everywhere with a lot of smoke. I did not expect the amount of smoke to come out of such a thin stick!

So I lit it back up and the pepper/spice calmed down, but was consistent all the way through...about half way, I put down the smoke in an ashtray, to dial a phone number, then I went to take a puff and that quick - it was out again...

So I relit it again - still plumes of smoke - it was kind of a whiteish-brown smoke. The ash could not make it past 3/4"...but when it fell off it left a nice concave red ash burning to my delight!

With about 3" left, it went out again. Now the only thing I noticed while sitting there pondering this enigma was that when I pointed the head down at an angle as if resting in an ashtray smoke streamed out of the head and foot, burning very nicely, BUT when I did the opposite and the head was above the foot, no smoke came out.

Thoughts? opinions?

Thanks!

~ t

Was this a typo or did you actually cut and light the wrong ends? That could be part of the problem.

I cut the foot and toasted the head...it lit up way faster than a robusto thats for sure...and pepper and spice everywhere with a lot of smoke. I did not expect the amount of smoke to come out of such a thin stick!

Thoughts? opinions?

Thanks!

~ t

Was this a typo or did you actually cut and light the wrong ends? That could be part of the problem.

HAHA - typo, let me fix that...

Great philosophy. I couldn't agree, or have said it better myself.

As for you MaxNoodle, watch out!!!! The lancero bug will get you. Once you start, you won't be able to stop! :blush:

Great philosophy. I couldn't agree, or have said it better myself.

As for you MaxNoodle, watch out!!!! The lancero bug will get you. Once you start, you won't be able to stop! :blush:

Thats why I only bought a sampler...it was a nice smooth smoke! I must say not what I expected...

Coming out of my humi, it shouldn't have been wet. The cherry should be convex, maybe it was tunneling. Having the burn surrounded by non-burning could have been smothering it.

Matt -

I'm not sure that it was wet...it burned nice and even and the draw was smooth...not a clue, only thing is that it was pretty cold out, maybe cold enough to put out a hot ash...

~ t

There are only two reasons why a cigar keeps going out. It's plugged or it's over humidified. In your case, from what you describe, it's the latter.
You would have a hard time smoking a Lancero slow, or any cigar for that matter, if it's wet.

Brian

I agree with Brian, sounds to me like a storage problem with it going out on you like that. If they feel a bit spongey then try dry boxing it a bit first.

I agree with taking your time. I've smoked a few Padilla 1932 and Miami 8/11 lanceros and they are both great smokes. Like you I thought the thinner the stick, the hotter it will burn but I haven't noticed it with these two particular smokes.

Now the Macanudo lancero I smoked....that's another story! Enjoy the sampler :D

The race to beat Jon's record for most new topics in your first calendar month on the board.