• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Let's season my custom Vigilant humidor

Danforz

All,

After years of wanting a large self-sustained cabinet, I'm happy to report I've purchased a Vigilant humidor. The unit is custom size and includes Vigilant's temperature and humidity controllers. I reached out to Vigilant regarding seasoning the humidor and was a little shocked that they don't seem to have much on the topic, especially for such a large item.

Thankfully, there's the CP community. I would appreciate your input on how and how long to season the thing. It is large, measuring 26"W x 36"H x 25"D. The interior is composed of mahogany and the entire unit has one large door in the front. It has Vigilent's "Climatech" temperature and humidity control.

Let me know your thoughts. This should be in in a week or two.

Daniel

Last edited:
Seasoning is an initial step.
It can be done to get the unit up to snuff faster than just starting it up and putting things in it.

I'd say at least 5-7 days - and that's after a wipe down and leaving some 'open' distilled water in it. (similar to how I'd season a desktop unit...only with a large bowl instead of a cup).

Several bowls of distilled water placed throughout the unit for at least 7 days is my method. Do not open the humidor during this time.

You may hear advice from other sources to wipe down the inside with a damp cloth and this is bad information that is unnecessary and may lead to warping, bowing, bubbling, etc.

Turn it on, and let it run.
It'll season pretty quick just because it has active humidification.

You'll know it's good to go when the humidifiers start cycling with more off than on time.

You'll know it's good to go when the humidifiers start cycling with more off than on time.
What he said!

Seasoning is an initial step.
It can be done to get the unit up to snuff faster than just starting it up and putting things in it.

I'd say at least 5-7 days - and that's after a wipe down and leaving some 'open' distilled water in it. (similar to how I'd season a desktop unit...only with a large bowl instead of a cup).

Sounds like the basics I appreciate the input.

Several bowls of distilled water placed throughout the unit for at least 7 days is my method. Do not open the humidor during this time.

You may hear advice from other sources to wipe down the inside with a damp cloth and this is bad information that is unnecessary and may lead to warping, bowing, bubbling, etc.
Got it. Thank you.

I reached out to vigilant and assumed they'd have some documentation on this but they did not. I'm curious if it will come with the unit.

Wiping the humidor is completely unnecessary and risks warping the wood. Turn it on, let it run, monitor the RH and wait for it to stabilize. Don't let it run dry, it'll really go through the water while everything is coming into equilibrium. How long is a variable, but I'd think 3-10 days will be about right. Bob recommends three days with his cabinets. I highly recommend picking up a Sensor Push, and salt calibrate it while you're waiting. You then have a known accurate RH reading you don't have to open the door to read. And, you can easily put it in different locations in the cabinet to check the RH in the top, bottom, etc. I have two in my Staebell cabinet, can't recommend them highly enough. Oh, and congratulations on a great cabinet...!!

Wiping the humidor also cleans it out of dust and other possible debris.

The warping is likely due to over saturation. A lightly damp cloth is all I ever use, and I make sure it's not left with a 'wet' appearance.
Did this with every humi I have owned, with no issues.

If ya'll question it, don't do it. Like putting antifreeze in there because it lasts longer and flavors the smokes...nope, not fer me!

:O

Last edited:

The warping is likely due to over saturation. A lightly damp cloth is all I ever use, and I make sure it's not left with a 'wet' appearance.

If ya'll question it, don't do it. Like putting antifreeze in there because it lasts longer and flavors the smokes...nope, not fer me!

I’ve always done the same thing. Worked well for me especially to clean it all out at the same time.

Paul

....you mean...I shouldn't be running Prestone in my humidifier cans...???...!!!!....:D

Any time you wipe wood with water, no matter how lightly, you'll lift the grain.

If you know that ahead of time, great. But it'll make a smooth sanded piece feel like it's not been sanded.