• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lets Talk Tobak

cuppajack

This fall cold has really got me down...
I have a whole host new new tobacco to try, and a new meerschaum pipe to smoke, but I can't pack a bowl until my head clears and my throat no longer feels like I've been eating steel wool...

We've got a handful of pipers around these parts... What have you been smoking? What is your favorite blend? What are you looking forward to getting your hand on? Do you age your pipe tobacco? Why do you reach for your pipe instead of a nice cigar?

Myself, I've been trying new things as I just recent;y returned to the pipe-smoking fold. Recently tins of McClelland's Grey Havens and Frog Morton on the Town have been sampled. Grey Havens was pretty tasty, though too moist when freshly opened. That Frog Morton's was really amazing though. I smoked a bowl of it just as this cold was coming down on me and I can't wait to try it when I'm operating at 100%!

I'm basically at he stage of trying as much as I can so I can figure out what I'm even really looking for in a blend.

I'm looking forward to trying some of the G.L. Pease blends as I've heard some wonderful things about them, and I have a lot of respect for Greg and what he is doing. Any suggestions on where to start?

Here's basically what I've done in a nutshell:

I went through the "What's in your bowl" thread and srote down most of what got good reviews from those smoking it. I then went to tobaccoreviews.com and wrote down some of the more highly rated stuff. I then posted a thread here and at smokersforum.org with my list and if there was anything else I needed to add or anything I should take off. I got some more suggestions and I started buying. I bought samplers at Pipeworks & Wilke and pipesandcigars.com as I was told there's no bad tobacco at either place. I then discovered Boswells pipes and tobacco. Great stuff.

As it stands I have a great selection of many varieties to choose from when I reach for the pipe. Once I get through them all, I'll have a good idea of what I like (I'm already favoring English blends with a good dose of Latakia). I bought a handful of cobs when I went on my pipe buying spree to sample everything. Once I found 2 or 3 blends I really liked, I went to my briars. Now I just smoke in whatever pipe suits my fancy. It may not be the "best" way, but this is a pleasurable activity for me, I don't want to be bogged down with "rules."

Right now Frog Morton is really my favorite, but I"m enjoying many other blends as well (especially the Boswell's Northwoods). I keep a journal and really keep track just like I do with cigars. I reach for the pipe when I don't have the time or the weather I need to really enjoy a cigar. The pipe will likely get a lot more use now that we're having daytime highs in the 30s. I've not been doing this long enough to age anything, but I did manage to get my hands on some 4-5 year old tobacco. I haven't cracked most of it yet.

I very much enjoyed the 2 bowls of Westminster from Pease that I smoked. As I understand, you won't get anything but good quality from Pease. The flavor may not suit you, but the tobacco is top notch.

I guess what I'm doing is having fun! I try whatever I can that sounds good and I"m mindful of taking care of my pipes. I don't treat them as though they are secret treasures, but I do take care of them as far as letting them rest adequately, I don't let them burn hot, and I give them a good once over after they have cooled. So far, all is going well. Perhaps some day I'll dedicate certain pipes to certain blends, but right now I just try not to smoke English blends in the same pipe that just smoked an aromatic. It seems to be working out just fine for me. I have not gotten to the stronger blends that supposedly stay with a pipe, though.

Right now, however, I'm enjoying absolutely nothing. My autumnal head cold is about to kill me. In fact, this is the longest I've been able to even look at the computer screen for 2 days. :(

Have fun and good luck!