• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Life is messed up sometimes.

bluue13

Hey everyone-

Just needed a place to jot down some thoughts and figured this is as good a place as any.

I found out last year that a good friend of mine (read: girl I dated in college) had been diagnosed with a rare bone marrow disorder and she was having trouble finding a donor. As life has its way, we had lost touch over the years, but upon learning the news I wanted to reach out and let her know i was thinking of her. I procrastinated, not quite knowing how to go about it I let one day pass to the next and soon a year had gone by.

I just recently found out that on top of that she had been diagnosed 3 months ago with ovarian cancer after dr.s found an inoperable grapefruit sized tumor entangled in her ovaries and intestines. From what I hear they started aggressive chemotherapy which was discovered to have done nothing at all to shrink the size of the tumor. As far as I know the next option is a different type of, but equally aggressive round of chemo. As you can imagine it is all taking a toll on her.

Regardless of our pasts and history I decided today was the day to reach out to her and let her know I was thinking of her and wishing her much strength and comfort in her days ahead. Its always difficult to know what to say but I've heard that positive energy, love, and support can be some of the strongest medicine there is in times like these. From what I've heard and know she has a fantastic husband and loving family that are giving her just that.

I have yet to hear back but I guess I just wanted to get it all out there and say that its never too late to reach out to someone you've lost touch with. You never know when life is going to throw one of its horribly messed up curveballs.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

-Greg

Bloody hell Greg that story made me think just how shitty life can be sometimes, thankfully she has a great support base and with hope, luck and prayers she will pull through.

Regardless whether or not you hear back from her, just know that you efforts are appreciated. As you stated, that extra prayer and that extra pinch of love goes a long way in times like hers. It is far too easy to loose touch with those whom have affected our lives, especially considering today's social outlets where "Removing a friend" is only a click away. I too was in a similar position, but never had the opportunity to make amends before their passing (yes it happened twice, both unexpectedly).

Best Wishes.

That was a very classy act Greg. If she doesn't return your call, you know that you did what you think was right in your own life. I'm sure that will will appreciate the gesture, even if she doesn't show it.

You did what your heart told you to do. Good for you!!!! ;)

That was a very classy act Greg. If she doesn't return your call, you know that you did what you think was right in your own life. I'm sure that will will appreciate the gesture, even if she doesn't show it.

Your post implies you've never had to help anyone through aggressive chemo. They are sick and I mean really really really unbelieveably, unless you witness it first hand, you probably can't imagine how sick they are and how bad they feel. If she has radiation on top of chemo then she probably doesn't have the energy to carry on a conversation let alone send a note.

OP did well, sent some love and support and this is in no way or form intended to be negative towards you or the OP but I want to make certain OP understands, if she does reply, it may have required a Herculean effort on her part.

Cancer consumes your life, on the rare occasions you feel like talking, that is all anyone ever wants to you about. Dad got so damn tired of talking about cancer, he got to the point where he didn't really want to talk to anyone he knew other than very close friends or immediate family because he knew he was going to have to talk about cancer.

OP, if you reach out to her again, don't mention cancer. Obviously acknowledge she is ill but dig up a good memory or talk about fluff. She has had or soon will have had all the heavy conversations she can stand.

I will confess to be sensitive on this subject because it was about twelve years ago with my Dad and I still remember vividly.

I can't find the spellcheck button and I am on a new laptop so this post might be a typoghrapical mess.

Your post implies you've never had to help anyone through aggressive chemo. They are sick and I mean really really really unbelieveably, unless you witness it first hand, you probably can't imagine how sick they are and how bad they feel. If she has radiation on top of chemo then she probably doesn't have the energy to carry on a conversation let alone send a note.

OP did well, sent some love and support and this is in no way or form intended to be negative towards you or the OP but I want to make certain OP understands, if she does reply, it may have required a Herculean effort on her part.

Cancer consumes your life, on the rare occasions you feel like talking, that is all anyone ever wants to you about. Dad got so damn tired of talking about cancer, he got to the point where he didn't really want to talk to anyone he knew other than very close friends or immediate family because he knew he was going to have to talk about cancer.

OP, if you reach out to her again, don't mention cancer. Obviously acknowledge she is ill but dig up a good memory or talk about fluff. She has had or soon will have had all the heavy conversations she can stand.

I will confess to be sensitive on this subject because it was about twelve years ago with my Dad and I still remember vividly.

I can't find the spellcheck button and I am on a new laptop so this post might be a typoghrapical mess.

Definitely aware of the toll it can take. I've seen a few other close friends of the family go through it. I made sure my message to her did not imply that I was expecting a response, merely sending my thoughts and prayers her way.

I spent some time carefully wording things. I didn't mention cancer but also didnt ignore the fact that it was my reason for writing.

I just hope my message brought her a little bit of a smile during a very difficult time.

Definitely aware of the toll it can take. I've seen a few other close friends of the family go through it. I made sure my message to her did not imply that I was expecting a response, merely sending my thoughts and prayers her way.

I spent some time carefully wording things. I didn't mention cancer but also didnt ignore the fact that it was my reason for writing.

I just hope my message brought her a little bit of a smile during a very difficult time.

Well Played, Sir.

I was replying to the other and I will plead guilty to be very sensitive on this subject.

Well Played, Sir.

I was replying to the other and I will plead guilty to be very sensitive on this subject.

I have actually had 2 people in my life go through aggressive chemo, neither of them as close to me as my father though. So I do know the toll that it plays on a person.

Not sure where my post implied anything but Greg doing what his heart told him to, and if she doesn't respond she will appreciate the fact that he reached out to her.