• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lighter on an airplane?

ricmac25

Token Cuban Guy
Reaction score
I'm going on a trip on Monday and I'm taking some sticks with me but I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to use to light them. So the question is:

Is it illegal for me to take my lighter (or wooden matches for that matter) on an airplane in checked baggage?

Azon said:
It must be ok if you got it in ya pocket man! They cant say no to i simpel lighter even if its a gas lighter. What the hel could you do with that? I don´t think it will be any problem bro!
There's a good chance it will be a problem in your pocket or carry on... it won't be in checked luggage though.

It shouldn't be a problem in checked luggage but they will confiscate lighters and matches if they find them on you. I take cedars with me and buy a cheapie bic type lighter and toss it on the return trip. I'd love to be able to travel with my Prometheus but I'm not gonna risk it. I also take a cheap plastic cutter which I haven't had a problem with so far.

Lighters must be in your checked luggage and absolutely NO torches. A bic is ok but only in checked baggage.

You can find all the do's and don't here at the TSA site. Click here!

I take my lighters with me on all flights, I check them with my bags. NO PROBLEMS! :thumbs:

Ric,
I took a torch on a trip to Spokane a couple of weeks ago. Got through security on the way without any problem. On my return, holy cow all $hit broke loose......torch was in my briefcase by mistake, boy how stupid :( They took my torch and not only would not let me carry it with me they wouldn't even agree to send too me. After pleading endlessly I finally got them to allow me to empty all the fuel and store it in my checked on baggage :thumbs: Ric don't take the chance it's not worth the trouble I went through. If they check your bag and find the lighter they can take it away do yourself a favor, buy a cheap lighter on the other side of your trip toss it out before you come back............ ;)

BenjieV :D

I travel a lot and used to always pack some sticks and a torch (unless I know of some good shops where I'm heading :thumbs: :thumbs: ). I've been shown personally that torch lighters are not permitted even if checked. I have only on one occasion (and I typically fly 3-4 times a month) had my torch (Colibri Oscar) pulled from my checked bag. I promptly walked over to the fed ex drop box at the airport and had the torch air freighted next day to the destination - who figures.

I'd stick with a low end lighter checked through if you want to avoid any hassels. If they catch the torch in the checked bag they can pull it.