• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lighter shipped without fluid?

Dan66

Just ordered a nice Colibri lighter from CI for my father-in-law's Christmas present. And despite all their web site warnings and reminders, it arrived in the mail fully loaded with lighter fluid. Lit right up.

Isn't this breaking some kind of self-imposed rule of theirs? Or maybe it's a federal regulation - I don't know. Sure struck me as odd, though. Anybody have a similar experience?

I thought all lighters are shipped w/o fluid because of the hazard they impose. Sounds kinda fishy, like CI passed you a "previously used" lighter.

Just ordered a nice Colibri lighter from CI for my father-in-law's Christmas present. And despite all their web site warnings and reminders, it arrived in the mail fully loaded with lighter fluid. Lit right up.

Isn't this breaking some kind of self-imposed rule of theirs? Or maybe it's a federal regulation - I don't know. Sure struck me as odd, though. Anybody have a similar experience?

I think - here I go thinking - that some lighter are tested. I received a lighter, a while back, that was factory sealed in the box and it had fluid. Just my $.02.

I work at a tobbaconist and almost all lighters - Colibri, Dupont Xtend and Lotus - come with some fuel in them. I've never seen one that didn't. If it's shipped airmail, it's against some federal regulation assuming that the same rules that apply to passenger aviation apply to commercial shipping.

My guss is that commercial shipping operates under a different set of rules than the passenger fellows.

I've also heard that if it's sent ground parcel, it's ok if there's fluid. I could be wrong though.

It's a very popular brand, but history shows they're not the most reliable. Xikar, Prometheus, Blazer just to name a few have proven to be pretty reliable lighters. Of course, this isn't the case with all Colibri's, but unfortunately with a lot of them.

...if it's a Colibri you'll be replacing or repairing it soon anyway! ;)
Seriously? I thought Colibri was a well-respected brand (?)

I have had a Colibri adjustable torch lighter for 2 years, use it everyday. The thing is built like a tank and I have never had one problem with it.

Actually, all butane filled lighters are supposed to be labeled hazmat. Technically we are supposed to drain them before we ship them where I work, but :whistling:

My trusty BLAZER came empty, as required by law.

Anyone order anything from Smith and Wesson? :p

I once bought a shotgun from a guy online and his FFL sent it to my FFL with 3 shells in the mag.A little off topic but thought I would add it anyway.By the way it was a Fabarm/HK FP6 pump :cool: