• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lighter?

carddoug

Banned
Wasn't sure where to post this. Anyway, i'm thinking about getting a torch lighter soon. I assume they are pretty popular with alot of us, but I was wondering does it really matter which lighter we use? I've been useing regular cheap lighter's that a ciggerette ( spelled wrong, probably) smoker would use. I was hoping that the guys who uses torch lighters would chime in and explan why. Maybe touch up's when the cigar doesn't burn evenly, and so on?

The benefits of a torch lighter are that they are much more exact and easier to use outside than a bic or soft flame. Also, butane lighters do not tamper with the flavor of the cigar.
You can spend as much as you want on a lighter. I like using the cheap Ronson torch lighters because I can't keep track of them. They work fine. If you want to have a nice show piece and can keep up with nice things then spend $50 or so and get a nice torch. I guess you need to decide how many flames you want. :D I have had good experience with Blazer and Xikar lighters, and I know others work well too. Z Plus makes an insert for zippos if you already have those and it works really well.

I think the most important thing to to use highly (at least 4x) refined butane for the lighter. This will keep it from getting "gunked" up and will help with the longevity. Hope that helps. Search around a little bit, and I am sure there are lots of discussion on various lighters. Hope this helps. Take care.

Brandon

I never lose my lighters so I invested in a Corona Old Boy. Since I was big into pipes then. I used many Bic lighters an over the years, it would have been cheaper to buy one goood butane lighter I could refill. I got my ST Dupont off Ebay for $50 and after maintenance done by a offical ST Dupont repair place, I had with shipping, cost of the lighter and cleaning like $130 total. Not a bad price for a ST Dupont 1970's gold lighter.

I had my Rocky Patel Torch lighter then someone dropped and ruined it. A fellow CP'er but it was free to me. I did enjoy that lighter. I had by double flame Colibri torch lighter and it was great till it went bad after a few years. I've had less problems with a soft flame lighter than a torch lighter. Something to think back. A Bic lighter works just fine. Like most accessories in the cigar world, you can get cheap crap and the high end good stuff.

Over the years, the types of lighters I've had in order:

Bic, Colibri double flame, Bic again, Corona Old Boy and finally my ST Dupont. All I ever use now is my Old Boy and ST Dupont. Both have an adjustable flame. :)

I use a Ronson Jet Light also, best bang for you buck around $4.00 at Wal-Mart, do get the better fuel for it will work better, I've used the same one for almost 2 years now with little or no problems.

One item of note; a multi flame light will use fuel much faster than a single flame, and I don't see the benefit of 3 over 1 myself. But if someone here can explain that, then I will have something to learn again.

I Have a triple flame Xikar That I paid $100 for and its a POS. on the contrary I used a single flame Bugatti over at Gavin's herf That worked very well.

Buy a Blazer and be done with it. I've had mine for years and it works, perfectly, every time.

Not pretty, not fancy, not shiny....just an awesomely functional tool that will get the job done every time.

B.B.S.

I use a Ronson Jet Light also, best bang for you buck around $4.00 at Wal-Mart, do get the better fuel for it will work better, I've used the same one for almost 2 years now with little or no problems.
These are great if you can find them.

Buy a Blazer and be done with it. I've had mine for years and it works, perfectly, every time.

Not pretty, not fancy, not shiny....just an awesomely functional tool that will get the job done every time.

B.B.S.

yup :thumbs:

I have a Prometheus Retro. Single flame, flint spark, and the striker on the side. I've never had a problem with it. Plus it is only a quarter of an inch thick so it slides easily into my pocket and out if my way. My Xikar and Colibri are bulky, waste fluid and are a pain to keep in top shape.

Ronson JetLite from Wal-mart. For $4 they work perfectly!!

One item of note; a multi flame light will use fuel much faster than a single flame, and I don't see the benefit of 3 over 1 myself. But if someone here can explain that, then I will have something to learn again.

Triple flame or dual flame torch is a must on the golf course on a windy day. :thumbs:

I have a Blue Rhino triple torch (not made anymore, which is a shame) and a Xikar single torch, as well as some Zippo inserts.

Quality control on the inserts is pretty iffy. They don't last very long!

Triple flames toast and light the cigar a lot quicker, reducing the likelihood of overheating it. I use the single torch for touchups.

Blazer is very, very high on my buy list.

~Boar

Personally I have 2, a cheapo torch lighter that I paid $ 7 for and a $40 dual flame because you never know when one will die and then your up shit creek without a paddle.

The lighter I use the most these days is a Djeep disposable. I have a Dunhill Rollagas that I really like, but I just use it when I smoke at home. Had a blazer torch that I loved but I seem to have lost it. I'll have to get a new one soon.

B.B.S.

Yup, again. I'd stick with the original PB207 and skip the newer Little Buddy. I've had all kinds of headaches with the Little Buddy but traded my PB207 before I realized how bad the Little Buddy would be. The flame doesn't adjust right, the fill valve leaks, and it NEVER lights on the first try.

I need to send it in for replacement, I just haven't gotten to it because I've been smoking a pipe a lot more than cigars over the last year or so.

Another one chiming in with a recommendation for the Blazer PB207. I too have many lighters from Dunhill to Zippo...but my tried and true is the Blazer...

Blazer Little Buddy or Little Buddy Ambassador.

www.blazerproducts.com

left out an r....

I just use this.

real-genius-laser.jpg

Clean. Also makes popcorn.