• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lighters and cutters

werks13

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on butane lighters or cutters. I was looking at getting a Xikar cutter and either a Zippo Blu or a Colibri Triple Torch Flame Ligher (http://www.elighters.com/qtr999301.html), anyone have any suggestions for other lighters? I'm not really sure if the zippo or colibri are any good.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on butane lighters or cutters. I was looking at getting a Xikar cutter and either a Zippo Blu or a Colibri Triple Torch Flame Ligher (http://www.elighters.com/qtr999301.html), anyone have any suggestions for other lighters? I'm not really sure if the zippo or colibri are any good.

A couple mistakes you have made.

1.) People new to this site need to log an Intro HERE
2.) Read more, post less
3.) Use the search function

If you played by the rules here, you would have had your answer already. :cool:

Blazer pb-01 for a ligher and a Palio cutter, two of the best cigar related purchases I've made so far.

OK...since Colibri is bankrupt...it may not be your best choice. Zippo blu is not even carried by the Zippo wholesaler here....he says too many problems. Xikar makes good lighters with lifetime warranties. Same for their cutters. If you can find a Montecristo cutter ( bout the same price as Xikar) it is a very nice double blade cutter for up to 60 ring.

My b&m owner doesn't sell the Zippo blue to anybody unless they insist. He got about 10 in, claimed one to try out and let people use in the shop, and it just sits there. They also say that it's a gas hog. He carries an Xikar cutter, but I'm not sure about his lighter, it may be an Xikar too. Myself personally, I use an Xikar cutter, have the MTX tool (or whatever it is) on my keys, and have a bullet cutter by them. They all work great, but I did have to send the cutter back once. They replaced it no problem. I also have a Zino cutter, which I won via raffle at an event they hosted (my b&m). It works well too, but I think it retails for around $50, which is a little steep for a cutter (for me). As far as lighters go, Colibri is a brand that I wouldn't buy again, even if they weren't bankrupt. I use matches, but am also looking for a new workhorse lighter. I've always been more of a function over form kind of guy, so the uber cool stuff is out for me, but I think I'm going to try an Xikar lighter. Still looking around though.

I use Xikar cutter and lighter. Xi3 cutter... Enigma lighter. Havent had a problem out of either one.

I have both a Xikar punch and cutter. They are awesome... very sharp clean cuts.

Xikar cutter for sure but as for lighters... I've still got my very first cheap Ronson lighter that still going strong. It's seen more country's than I care to count and I love it. Even after it kicks the bucket I don't think I'll be able to throw it out.. Good luck on your search...

The $3 Ronson jet lighters they have at Wal*Mart are probably the best jet lighter ever made. My friend bought one two years ago and it only died about 2 months ago.

The tools I used 90% of the time are my cheap Ronson $2.88 torch from Walmart and a cheap plastic 2 blade cutter that I received in a sampler deal. Both work very well. I have a more expensive cutter, (don't remember the brand) which doesn't do half the job of the cheap plastic one. I do have my sights on a new Palio cutter for an upcoming birthday gift to myself, but that's more out of desire than need.

The Ronson jetlights are cheap enough that I have several. Keep one in my jacket, on on my motorcycle and one at home. I have a more expensive lighter, but it doesn't work any better than the ronson!

I have gone through to many butane lighters, probably past the 30 lighter mark now. They are fun for a while, but they break.

Go zippo, get a t-bird insert, soft flame is also very nice on butane. Or go Blazzer. These are the only two lighters I have had that have not broken in a year.

As for cutter, I own an Xikar and Palio, although I only use the latter now.

I quit looking for tools about the time I got my Xikar and Blazer. I have since bought a Palio and it's six of one / half dozen of another between it and the Xikar. I still prefer the Xikar but they are both quality, lifetime cutters.

One thing with cutters - clean them! Cigar oils will build up on the cutting edges and make them feel "dull". I bought a box of alcohol wipes from the drugstore and they work great.

Regards - B.B.S.

I always have my lotus t3 on me. People "laf it up" but never fails, and feel good in my hand.

I ordered a zippo lighter and got the z-plus insert, $24 for the zippo and $12 for the insert. I doubt the zippo will break because I'm pretty much just using the case of it and if the insert breaks thats a cheap replacement as opposed to getting something expensive and will cost me $50+ to replace. I'll probably also order a Xikar Xi3 cutter because it has a lifetime warranty and I can send it in for sharpening, so I'll have a quality lifetime cutter.

Like B.B.S. stated above... use alcohol wipes or cotton balls and rubbing alcohol to clean your cutters every so often. You would be surprised how much build up you get on the blades.

I prefer the Zippo lighter with ZPlus insert, and the Palio cutter.

Also be sure to ALWAYS have an extra old lighter and cutter on hand, just in case.

(you can get the Zippos and ZPlus inserts cheap on ebay)

I love traditional Zippo lighters for cigarettes, so was excited to get the Zippo Blu for my cigars. I was (and remain) SO disappointed! Its flame isn't all that hot, it's difficult to fill, it's a butane hog, and you can wear out your thumb trying to get it to light. I switched to a Blazer CG-001 and couldn't be happier with it. So far it lights every time, the flame is intense, and the fuel tank seems to last a VERY long time. The PB-207 is the exact same lighter, but without a flip-cover. Don't waste your money on the Zippo Blu.

I have a Ronson lighter that I have now had for two years and it works fine. Ditto on the blade cleaning. You will be surprised at what a difference it makes. I have several of those little plastic cutters that are handed out a cigar events. I use them when I go hunting or fishing. I keep the blades clean and they make very good cuts. On the patio I use an Xikar.