• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Like I really needed another expensive hobby...

denverdog

Not now chief, I’m in the F**kin zone.
But nevertheless I am taking the plunge into Pipes. When I was little I spent the summers with my grandpa and one of my fondest memories was catching fire flies while he sat and smoked his pipe. Anyway, that and the fact that several of my friends just cant seem to get into cigars but have mentioned that they enjoy smoking pipes, mean its time for me to call J.M. and put my pipe smoking future in his hands.

So that being said, is a budget of around $125- $150 enough to get started with a pipe, tools and a decent tobacco selection? Also, any recommendation on must try tobacco's and the type of pipe that is best for the beginner?

Any input is much appreciated!

Jonas

Good luck Jonas. I think for $125 you'll be able to get set with a nice pipe, tools, and a ton of tobacco. I really enjoy the Christmas Cookie from Boswell.

I also have the same memories of my grandfather, which makes this new endeavor much more meaningful (to me at least). Nothing like getting some tobacco and it reminding you of someone you loved.

I've got a blend for you. Mostly Columbian Gold with a touch of dalmation.... very nice.

God Jonas! Don't you know by now...

Search is your friend. :sign: :D

Really though. That should be plenty of dough to get you set up with a decent kit... I wanted to get a pipe and all the accompanyments(sp?) just so I would have one for when I felt in the mood. I had about a $100 budget and did just fine for myself... You shouldn't have any problems brother. As far as tobacco suggestions, I would have to tell you just to get a good assortment from your local shop and go from there...

Made a call into the man J.M. this afternoon and damn that guy is solid gold.

He told me to cruise the pictures of different pipes and pick a style I like. I am calling back tomorrow to place an order, cant wait!

BTW Tim, I dropped your name and told him to give you shit for the upcoming big 5-0!

Made a call into the man J.M. this afternoon and damn that guy is solid gold.

He told me to cruise the pictures of different pipes and pick a style I like. I am calling back tomorrow to place an order, cant wait!

BTW Tim, I dropped your name and told him to give you shit for the upcoming big 5-0!

Ha ha! Need to make sure JM has enough room for Tim and his walker!
tongue00154kq.gif

You'll bemore than set-up with that amount of coin!

You could get away w/ $50 by buying a couple of cobs and maybe three-four different blends.

But you certainly will love your Boswell!

Give Frog Morton on the Town a try. I don't think you can miss with that blend.

Seriously, let me tell ya! Buy some cobs! Then you can get a decent amount of samples, then once you figure out what you want, buy some briars without worrying about imparting a bad flavor from some bad blends.

Also, its important to remember that briar pipes need a few days to rest after you smoke out of them. Buying just one and trying tobacco after tobacco can be very bad for the prolonged life of the pipe (at least the life between sweetenings).

Glad you picked up the hobby though! :p

Like has been said, you can do more than enough with that budget.

The cob suggestion is a good one. I've got a dozen or so and I always smoke my first bowl of any new to me tobacco in a cob. Well, maybe not ALWAYS, but almost always. :D You could also find an inexpensive meerschaum pipe for trials. I plan on getting one someday, but for now, the cobs are working just beautifully.

Welcome to the pipe club! :)

Jonas,

Welcome to the PIPERS fold! Good to have you here. Lots of good guys here in the pipe room. Most with more expertise than I.

Hope you're enjoying that new BOSWELL! :D

Jonas,

Welcome to the PIPERS fold! Good to have you here. Lots of good guys here in the pipe room. Most with more expertise than I.

Hope you're enjoying that new BOSWELL! :D

Thanks Tim, I am loving it!

Along with the pipe I got a few different blends, Christmas Cookie, Dan's Blend and Boswell's Premium Burley. I smoked a couple of bowls so far and they were great but I did have a little trouble packing and lighting correctly. I guess that just comes with practice and time.

Here she is:

120654.jpg

120732.jpg

so, what's your missus say about the pipe smoke?

She commented on how she prefers the pipe smoke to cigars. I was smoking an aromatic so I expected that reaction. Get a pipe and head over for a bowl papa smurf!

Hello Jonas,
Glad you're enjoying the pipe. :thumbs:
Which of the blends do you prefer thus far?
I smoked a bowl of Christmas Cookie at our poker game last night, everyone commented on how much they liked the aroma. :)

Finally got to a bowl of Christmas Cookie last night and I really enjoyed it. So far it is my favorite of the three but I need to give em all another go around. :thumbs:

I also paid more attention to packing, tamping, etc and the bowl stayed lit and was much more enjoyable. Any suggestions on pipe lighters you guys really like?

You all have peaked my interest. I bought a cheapie $40 dollar pipe from my local B&M over a year ago, and maybe have smoked 10 or 15 bowls out of it, of a blend I bought at the shop.

I am most interested in what you all are saying about imparting a bad flavor by smoking certain blends in a pipe. Is it bad to smoke Aromatic's and non Aromatic's in the same pipe?

I didnt think you could really mess up a pipe as long as you smoke good tobacco (ie: stuff you buy at your reputable B&M) out of it, and dont smoke it too often?

I am most interested in what you all are saying about imparting a bad flavor by smoking certain blends in a pipe. Is it bad to smoke Aromatic's and non Aromatic's in the same pipe?

Generally, aromatics will impart a flavor that lingers in a briarwood pipe until it is cleaned with a 'sweetener'. These flavors can affect the flavor of other tobaccos smoked in the same pipe, which is why many pipe smokers will have a collection of pipes for different aromatics and latakia blends, which have a strong flavor all their own.

So if your Danish Mild tastes like Christmas Cookie after you've tried a few rounds, you'll know why. :)

I also paid more attention to packing, tamping, etc and the bowl stayed lit and was much more enjoyable. Any suggestions on pipe lighters you guys really like?

I have a Colibri pipe lighter that came as a set with a tamping/reaming/poker tool. I find that the angled head makes it easy to direct the flame into the pipe without burning my fingers. :)