• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René

JHolmes763

Drinkin' the koolaid
After having my curiosity peaked in this thread about sour ales, I decided to pick up a bottle of whatever I could find. That happened to be the 750ml bottle of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René for $9.99 at Daveco.

This bottle has a cap and a cork on it, which is a first for me. Pour was a hazy golden color with a nice fizzy white head that quickly dissipated. I'll be honest, the nose on this didn't impress me. Smelled like stale keg beer.

med_gallery_3866_104_154246.jpg

The flavor was better than the smell, though. Still not 100% if this is my style or not, but I liked it. Taste was a green apple sour with a typical lager mixed in and a very dry aftertaste. Although sour, the taste was a little sweet, too, kind of how a green apple is. I felt a little "fuller" drinking through a bottle of this compared to a bottle of regular brew.

So overall this was a good experience. I saw a couple other kinds of sour ales at the store and I think I'll try a few more brands before I make a decision. Thanks for the experience by bringing up this type of beer, guys. :)

-John

Just so you know John, I'd steer clear of any Lindeman's stuff other than the Cuvee Rene's.

Okay. :) I don't remember the other brands I saw, but I know one was an Italian sour red ale.

Nice review. I've been wanting to try a Gueuze just to see what the draw is to a beer that's sour. I may pick up one in the future.

I've tasted the Lindemans Framboise from a friend's bottle and it was way too fruity...almost tasted like cheap wine instead of beer.