• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Linux

switters

Clinging to my guns!
I decided the other day to install Ubuntu Linux to an old machine I had laying around. This is my first time fooling with Linux. I'm not really a computer person other than a user. I'm fine with that.
Installing the operating system was very easy. The only problem that I'm having is my internet isn't working. I'm trying to connect via ethernet. The network status at the top shows my ethernet card, but it isn't connected apparently.
If you can help me get this thing working there will be a prize package in it for you.

I think it already has the required drivers since it shows the card in the status bar.

Try this:

Go the following menu to configure/restart your network interfaces: System -> Administration -> Networking. From here you can configure your interfaces, as well as deactivate and reactivate the interface that is giving you problems.

Or This:

Another way you can view your network settings is by opening a terminal window and type:

~$ ifconfig

You can scan through the settings of your network card. Check to make sure you have an IP address set there. Generally speaking, eth0 will be the default networking card. If you are using a wireless network card, you can type:

~$ iwconfig

...to see the settings of your wireless cards and connections

This page is also full of great info.

edited to add another resource.

Could also be that your card does not support WPA/PSK and your ethernet is using that (security).
Try to set the ethernet to WEP.

btw The Ubuntu userforums are great, at least the Dutch forum is.

Hope this helps

Rene

Yeah, you can pretty much Google any problem you have and there will probably be a forum post with a solution for it.

Ubuntu is awesome. :thumbs:

give us information on your ethernet card and wireless card.
what kind is it?
is it a dell computer?
laptop or desktop?
what version of ubuntu did you install?

also, try after you boot into linux and everything's running, try unplugging the router and cable modem and then replugging in cable modem, then router. it worked for me for some reason.

Well, after several days of fighting with this I am now connected to the internet with Ubuntu. I had already googled & tried many of the things suggested in this thread. For whatever reason a little voice told me to try a different ethernet cable. After changing cables it fired right up.