• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Local B&M Bummer...

jsm11

Secret Squirrel
So, it's always been kind of a fine balance and I try to make a majority of my purchases at the B$M, as I like to support the local business and they host events, have a lounge, know me like I'm Norm rolling through the door and it's always served a great second home, at least this has been my experience everywhere other than here in Pueblo.

In general, I tend to keep online purchases, despite the cost savings to Habanos.... This will likely be changing.

The only Cigar B$M in Pueblo is disappointing to say the least, poor selection of smokes, legitimate gouging, and the lounge is nothing to speak of. Which I can deal with, what makes it horrendous though, is the ownership. The owner (who I assume is the owner) is a salty prick.

Went in the other day and he directly followed me into the humidor (which is fine) and hovered over me. During my perusing of cigars I mentioned the stock was limited verse what I regularly smoke and I got this as a comment "hate it for ya" and I'll add it was said in a manner to insult.

I tried going to this shop 4 years ago when I lived in Pueblo and it's easy to see nothing's changed. I just uh, I don't quite get the poor customer service.

I can imagine a new smoker getting that treatment and completely writing off cigars, as this is the pot capitol of the US IMO...

So, as you may or may not know, I live in a state where pot is legal, to the point that there are more dispensaries than gas stations, and more than fast food places here in Pueblo West. I've stopped in one or two when friends are visiting and curious about the wares (FWIW I cannot smoke, I work for the .gov) and found the atmospheres to be excellent, chill people, chill environments. Welcoming and personable people running the shops.

So, I see the local cigar culture as essentially non-existent. And I see myself having a lounge in Pueblo to stay warm and smoke inside while watching a game, etc. as non-existent.

With my slight rant over, I'll be trying to head north to Colorado Springs for lounge smoking and relegating my purchases to online vendors. Kind of a bummer, only thing I've been disappointed in so far.

My local guy is quite a study, as well. He gouges, but mainly on less expensive smokes, and then sells Opus, Anejo, etc at real close to MSRP. Knows nada about cigars, current buzz, etc. I haven't been there in about a year, but I just stayed friendly, played dumb, asked a question or two to let him feel smart, and buy good sticks at a fair price.

Finding a good cigar lounge is always high on my list of things to do when I move to a new town. Mississippi had none in my area for awhile. Then a new shop opened with friendly enough people, but the lounge was made into an exclusive members place at a personally unattainable price. In their defense, they were trying to keep the hooligan like frat boys out.

I like the shop/lounge downtown here that I've been two a handful of times, but it's just very inconveniently located for me, so I don't really go there often. In fact, I've ever only been there with William. Smokes are priced accordingly with what I've seen of local prices (which are pretty expensive compared to online), and I like the little lounge.

In addition to the lounge we also have a few bars that thumb their noses at the indoor smoking ban. I would be great if we had some kind of full lounge with lockers, humidor and such. Maybe I'll start one.

Local business need to understand that they will loose to online vendors and the only thing they have going for them is a face and warm place to hang out.

If they don't get it. Stop going there and support the vendors on this website. After all they are small businesses as well.

Have you ever wondered about opening up a lounge? I dont mean like a legit B&M store, but more like renting a space and turning it into a private club where members have a pin or key fob to get in. Furnish it the way you would a man cave, etc. I dont know how long you'll be in Pueblo but if its long term, it might be something to gauge interest in. If not then maybe look at getting an oversized shed for the back yard.

My local place does a fairly good job. I would say the prices are slightly higher than some but they have quite a few tvs with various local sports on all the time, and a full service bar. I often bring sticks in to smoke, which they don't like (they have little signs everywhere) but I always buy at least one or two while there, and make use of the bar. I prefer my smokes to normalize in the humi at home rather than just smoking one right from theirs. Though on occasion I will smoke what I buy right then.

They also have a "back room" area that's really nice and comes with a locker and key fob to get in early or late but it isn't cost effective. They sometimes keep the door open to that area, which I think I wouldn't like if I paid that much to be private.

They also offer a rewards of sorts...when you get to $500 in purchases you get $25 on your account to use for whatever...sticks, the bar, doesn't matter. I find that nice. That and most of the waitress staff are kinda like santas little helpers..hehe. :)

Let me know when you're heading to the Springs and we can meet up. Stag Tobacconist has got a decent humidor - The lounge area tends to be extremely smoke filled and, depending on the day, filled to capacity with regulars.

That sucks, nothing worse then a crappy business model and poor customer service. My local in Napa closed down where the owner was very informative and would spend the time educating their staff, putting on events and getting to know the customers and their wants.

The B&M that replaced them now want $5000 initiation fee to have access to the lounge and a $300 a month membership for the privilege. It doesn't get you anything other then access to a very nice lounge and a small locker. It's a shame as it has made smoking cigars an elitist activity if you wish to smoke as everything is marked up at a huge premium even for California.

I know what you mean. I feel fortunate that we have several fine, friendly shops in Denver metro. I frequent Havana Manor in Louisville where they do know my name.

The googleator shows a place on S.Union called 3d's is this the spot you speak of?

That sucks, nothing worse then a crappy business model and poor customer service. My local in Napa closed down where the owner was very informative and would spend the time educating their staff, putting on events and getting to know the customers and their wants.

The B&M that replaced them now want $5000 initiation fee to have access to the lounge and a $300 a month membership for the privilege. It doesn't get you anything other then access to a very nice lounge and a small locker. It's a shame as it has made smoking cigars an elitist activity if you wish to smoke as everything is marked up at a huge premium even for California.
Places like that leave a bad taste in my mouth and I'm sure others. I can see a $300. initiation fee and maybe $100.00 a month.....

Places like that leave a bad taste in my mouth and I'm sure others. I can see a $300. initiation fee and maybe $100.00 a month.....

Damn man, I've been spoiled...
Apparently it's not enough to make a profit on the cigars and accessories?

$5,000 initiation fee, sounds like they're really trying to appeal to the common man :(

Please tell me there's an errant zero on that figure...

Have you ever wondered about opening up a lounge? I dont mean like a legit B&M store, but more like renting a space and turning it into a private club where members have a pin or key fob to get in. Furnish it the way you would a man cave, etc. I dont know how long you'll be in Pueblo but if its long term, it might be something to gauge interest in. If not then maybe look at getting an oversized shed for the back yard.

There was an establishment like this in Birmingham, Al. several years ago. It had lockers, nice leather furniture, a good air filtration system and a nice size TV. I don't know if it's still open, but business was good when I was there.

There was an establishment like this in Birmingham, Al. several years ago. It had lockers, nice leather furniture, a good air filtration system and a nice size TV. I don't know if it's still open, but business was good when I was there.

To which place are you referring?

To which place are you referring?

I was trying to remember the name, I went as a guest with my brother 5 years or so ago. It was pretty low key, didn't have a sign outside. I remember someone there referring to it as 'the speak-easy'.