• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

long term cigar investments

other1

Cigarpassaholic. Mmm.. cigarpassahol.
Sort of along the same lines as ric's question, but prics is of secondary concern to me.. Now that I've set up a big coolerdor I have plenty of room for boxes. What boxes do you think are fairly readily available today that I'll kick myself in five years for not having bought a box and putting it aside? You know, like how anyone with a box of original release Opus or 1926's today looks like a genius.

Lets talk non ISOM because ISOMs are a whole different ball of wax in this regard.

I'm thinking candidates are AVO 77, Camacho Liberty, maybe Diamond Crown Maximus, VSG assuming I could get a box, possibly Mac Vintage '97.

Other thoughts?

Yeah, go buy up all the Dominican Cohiba you can get your hands on since they lost the name rights lawsuit in court recently. That way, no one has to smoke those wretched things. :)

You probably wouldn't go wrong with getting a box of the Torano Tributes.

I would say to look at the demand for the cigar today vs the availability of it tomorrow. Camacho Diploma and Liberty come to mind. I don't think the Avo would make my list, as the demand isn't too high. I would say CAO Millenium and Oddesey would make the garade. Opus and most definately Anejo. VSG's would be my second tier choice, along with 1926's. I don't know if I would put Torano Tribute's in that catagory yet. I like em, but the demand doesn't seem to great for them. Also, is this going to a single crops worth of Tribute's and no more? Or will the line continue? I think if the Master Blend holds true with the limited number of cigars per crop, then that might make it a canidate. From what I understand, each year is made from a vintage crop. So the cigars may change in flavor from yeart to year.

Emo

Anyone tried the La Auroura 100 Anos? They seem like a possibility too. Limited production. I've liked the few LA&Ps that I've had.

other1 said:
Anyone tried the La Auroura 100 Anos? They seem like a possibility too. Limited production. I've liked the few LA&Ps that I've had.
These definitely would make a great addition to your humi....I've tried several sizes and all are great. The problem I have is keeping them in the humi.

I agree with emodx -- stash away a box of Opus, Padron 1926, Anejo, or what have you, and you'll have a much in demand box in half a decade or so, no question about it.

Any of the limited Fuente or Padron stuff is a good bet. The Anejos (especially the Sharks) may be the best way to go. Also, if you can handle the nut, any of the extremely limited stuff like the Padron 40th anny humis should be good long term investments.

What about Partagas 150's. Thompson's says these are limited production and NEVER to be done again. Is this true?

I like the Partagas stuff, domestic and Cuban.

Or some of those limited LGC's that were out a while back.

M. Gipson

I would think that long term investment in domestics is entirely under the asumption that Cuba won't open up in the next 5 years. Something I wouldn't bet on with Fidel at 78 already.

AVB said:
I would think that long term investment in domestics is entirely under the asumption that Cuba won't open up in the next 5 years. Something I wouldn't bet on with Fidel at 78 already.
While that is true, the rest of the world does not have an embargo and they still find many N/C's very collectible and highly prized. Wouldn't many of them still hold up even if the embargo was lifted?

If you're buying to re-sell in the future at a profit, Opus and maybe some of the other harder to get Fuente brands. If you are buying to age and smoke later, in my opinion, there's no non-Cuban cigar that ages well enough to take up the space in my cabinets.

other1 said:
I'm thinking candidates are AVO 77, Camacho Liberty, maybe Diamond Crown Maximus, VSG assuming I could get a box, possibly Mac Vintage '97.

Other thoughts?
I know a source for AVO 77s that is selling boxes signed by Avo himself...PM me and I'll hook you up! :D

barney

A box of the Padrón 40th anniversary cigars would be a slam-dunk. Look at the Millenniums now.

I disagree with Matt, I've had some WONDERFUL aged Padróns (1996) and Opus Xs (1995), as well as some other NC brands.

moki said:
I agree with emodx -- stash away a box of Opus, Padron 1926, Anejo, or what have you, and you'll have a much in demand box in half a decade or so, no question about it.
Believe me, if I could find boxes of any of these I would get them. I was thinking more along the lines of things easily obtainable now that won't be in the future.

And I did grab a box of the LA 100 Anos.

And I'm not looking to 'invest' for future sale. I'm just looking to have cool stuff. Like how smart would I feel if I had an original release opus X box sitting in my humidor.

other1 said:
And I'm not looking to 'invest' for future sale. I'm just looking to have cool stuff. Like how smart would I feel if I had an original release opus X box sitting in my humidor.
That'll last about 3-4 months. Then you'll open the box up and start smokin' 'em. :)

I do know what you mean tho -- I have some interesting boxes stashed away too.